knarthex

Pin Vices, What do YOU use, and what is not to be mentioned?

CML Supply Mini Micro Drill Bit Set and Pin Vise Chuck 31 pcs

The pin vice in that set looks like the same "Armory" one that I already have that wont hold a bit straight in the smallest collet, so That set I am going to avoid...

Glad that it works for you folks though!

​Edit---> just scrolled through 16 pages of pin vices on the river site, only to see maybe 10 different vices sold by lots of different people claiming them as 'theirs'....

Edited by knarthex

I have a couple of the Tamiya ones that I like a lot.

They cost a bit more than other options but I had gotten annoyed with my cheap ones not holding bits straight so I got something different.

They hold the small thin bits for pinning feet to bases with sewing pins as well as the larger bits like 1/8" for larger magnets.

Some other generic looking ones I have seen don't hold the ~1/8" bits.

I have an Anex/Godhand pin vise, I believe it's similar to the Tamiya.

Godhand_Pinvise_large.jpg?v=1462259689

(picture from the net, not mine)

As you can see on the package can hold from size 0.1mm to 3.2mm. Smallest drill bit I've actually used with it was a 0.3mm (~#83?) I have small hands so I like the rubber sleeve on the barrel when I find it difficult to reach the head.

• Like 1

Enkay Products Push Drill and 20pc Mini Drill Set

Love it came with super small bits and i find that the push drill function helps stay straighter and control depth better.

I also have the CML Supply Mini Micro Drill Bit Set and Pin Vise Chuck 31 pcs

Works just fine for pinning.

51qOueQLNmL.jpg

• Like 2

I've got several pin vices that I've acquired over the years they are either Excel or other hobby manufacturer's equivalents.  I also have a lifetime supply of #50-#81 drill bits I obtained from a hobby shop I worked at which was closing its doors.  

The Egg

Edited by Egg of Coot
  • Like 1

George, while I haven't used my pv allot, the times that I have used have made me enjoying pinning a hell of lot more then it use to be. The one thing I like about mine is the butt end that sits in your hand. I had that one like ub3r has but the shape & end would irritate my hand. In the end I just wouldn't pin that much.

Now I don't mind doing if I have too. Have you looked through Micromark's inventory yet I recall them having quite the selection.

That MCL drill looks like the Army Painter sells.

Mine's a simple brass model with a rounded 'button' at the end instead of a hexagonal one so it's a good deal more comfortable than say, the CML/AP one.

I just wish I could figure out where I got it so that I could buy more of them.

I have some 0.3mm drill bits with 1/8" shank made for precision drilling on PCBs and stuff, and those can be used as finger drills directly, if you're careful.

I'm considering adding the smallest Pin vise from MicroMark, SKU 15116 for some smaller work.

This one from GF9 was pretty good till I somehow ended up misplacing the damn thing:

GF9GFT030.jpg

I've got big hands so anything the helps steady the device works best for me. Actually that one is allot more comfortable then my current one.

I have no idea what brand mine is. I bought it 20 years ago in a hobby shop (I think) and it looks pretty generic, but it served me well. It goes through Bones like crazy. But I don't remember its performance on metal minis.

I bought the GW pin vise and then strangely the threads wore out on it within a year without heavy use.  I don't know why, but no big deal.  

Since then, I have mostly had two types of work that needed a hand drill.  To magnetize my models, the drill bit has a standard 1/4" bit head and so I put it directly into any appropriate hand held tool.  To pin my models, I put the small drill bits into my hobby knife and use it as a pin vise.  I actually keep two hobby knifes with one expressly for this purpose.  The hobby knife has worked perfectly so far, so I haven't seen a need to get another pin vise.  

*Thanks Doug!

Edited by Arydis

I have a bunch of generic-brand pin vises, and haven't had problems with any of them.  I have several small ones that close all the way up.  I have a couple of medium sized-ones that have a minimum size.  The largest of these is perfect for holding a 1/8" shank, which I use with tungsten-carbide bits I get off Amazon.  I recently got one that will close all the way up, but will hold a 1/4" drill bit (useful for magnetizing PP multi-kits) - I got this one from my local hardware store.  I love the tungsten-carbide bits; they easily cut through white metal, but you have to watch out because they're very brittle and will break off inside your mini much easier than spring steel.  The other bit of advice I have regarding steel bits is to use a little bit of oil on the tip.  This will make it harder to get the bit stuck.

Edited by fanguad
  • Like 1

Obligatory editorial aside:

"vice" != "vise"

I resisted the comment for a really long time, but this is spreading and it must be stopped!  :B):

And now we return you to your regularly scheduled nerdity.

And if you have a vise vice, I'm very sure I don't want to know about it.  :blink:

ps. In late breaking news, "advise" != "advice".  :angry:  But I blame corruption from the whole vise/vice thing.

::D:

• Like 3

I had to double-check my post to see if I got it correct.  Then realized I screwed up "advise"  :(   I know the difference, so I have no excuse.

• Like 1