knarthex

Pin Vices, What do YOU use, and what is not to be mentioned?

So the vice that Haldir recommended arrived...

019.jpg

018.jpg

I like IT!

Good call!

Recommended by ME!

George

***It seems I won't have to go Light Elf hunting at Reapercon.....**** 

• Like 2

Been using it the past few weeks (with of course the sudden stop in the middle for surgery recovery). I will admit the quality of drill bits do matter. Have one bit that goes through miniature metal in no time flat, swapped it for a different size & was like ughhh this is horrible!

Kinda makes pinning fun or at least a part of the process you won't dread doing.

I'm safe you can't find me!!!!  ::P:  ::D:

• Like 1

Been using it the past few weeks (with of course the sudden stop in the middle for surgery recovery). I will admit the quality of drill bits do matter. Have one bit that goes through miniature metal in no time flat, swapped it for a different size & was like ughhh this is horrible!

Kinda makes pinning fun or at least a part of the process you won't dread doing.

I'm safe you can't find me!!!!  ::P:  ::D:

Yes,i have just learned the JOY of crappy bits when I broke on inside the mini I was working on last night...

Going to order some good ones soon...

Any recommendations anyone?

Actually I forgot to ask that myself, ha ha.

I hear carbide is a good option.

019.jpg

018.jpg

I like IT!

Good call!

Recommended by ME!

George

That one is exactly like mine. Haldir, did I enable you to get yours?

I used mine today, drilling plastic. It's the standard all-metal type, no knob...

Uuuugh. My hand aches.

I'm conflicted.  I also got the P3 one, and honestly I don't know how comfortable it is to use because the bits get pushed in when I apply more than the most delicate amount of pressure.  Perhaps my bits are too small, but honestly I'm just using the bits that came with it, so it drives me crazy.  I may end up getting a different one that can work with smaller sized bits.  I've got a couple of Dark Sword minis that I'm afraid to try pinning with the tool I've got.  <_<

019.jpg

018.jpg

I like IT!

Good call!

Recommended by ME!

George

That one is exactly like mine. Haldir, did I enable you to get yours?

I've actually had mine for quite awhile. I bought this one due to the shape. My hands don't like normal pin vises. The rounded end & fatter middle is what drew me to this one (+ Widget Supply being on the other side of the state from me helps as well. ::): ).

TIP for this one. I added a little bit of 3n1 oil to the area (the gap) where it spin near the base & it works even better now.

• Like 2

I'm conflicted. I also got the P3 one, and honestly I don't know how comfortable it is to use because the bits get pushed in when I apply more than the most delicate amount of pressure. Perhaps my bits are too small, but honestly I'm just using the bits that came with it, so it drives me crazy. I may end up getting a different one that can work with smaller sized bits. I've got a couple of Dark Sword minis that I'm afraid to try pinning with the tool I've got. <_<

Wrap painter's tape around the back end of the bit?

0804185736.jpg

...like so, but with smaller tiny bit.

I have thought of that. But I don't really want to try that with a smaller bit because it would need a lot of tape. I've managed to make it work with the bits it came with, at least. But since I returned my first one (shop owner couldn't get it to work either) and I'm on my second one, there was definitely something off with the production run being sold at the time.

Wrap painter's tape around the back end of the bit?

...like so, but with smaller tiny bit.

That does not work with the small bit you use for pinning.

There is not enough surface are on a bit that small so you just end up with a large wrap of tape that does not hold the bit firmly and deforms.

Edited by arclance

I have thought of that. But I don't really want to try that with a smaller bit because it would need a lot of tape. I've managed to make it work with the bits it came with, at least. But since I returned my first one (shop owner couldn't get it to work either) and I'm on my second one, there was definitely something off with the production run being sold at the time.

What you probably need is a smaller collet. There are a variety of sizes available, though finding one that will fit your current tool might be difficult (and that's without considering whether your tool has an interchangeable collet).

My basic all metal one has a reversible collet. One for down to about 1/8" and one for everything smaller. 

• Like 1