77078 Astrid, Female Bard wip-- THOSE FREAKING EYES

Hey all! I posted a few days ago about being new and now I'm back to painting my fourth figure. I tried tackling my biggest issue, which was eyes. And honestly i was kind of happy with the product until i took the picture for this thread and now i hate the eyes :p.

I think I'll just leave them as is to save me my sanity. But here's my progress as of now. Ideally I'd like to get the figure done in one sitting but I got out of work late and spent almost two hours on just the face so that's probably not happening. I'll keep painting and post what I've completed whenever I give up for the night.

post-15138-0-14247900-1471147718.png

• Like 12
  • Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just for the record, most of us take at least four to six hours to paint up a decent tabletop job - if we're actually trying to do something nice-looking it could take 15 to 20 hours or more, and competition work takes weeks. It's like the old saying, "You can get it done fast, or you can get it done right, but ya probably ain't gonna get both."

Honestly, unless you're painting with some kind of deadline, it's best to adopt a fairly zen sort of attitude toward painting - things take as long as they take, and especially when you're still learning it's better to take the time to get it right.

Sometimes it still takes me two hours to get the eyes right.

Edited by Mad Jack
  • Like 6

Just for the record, most of us take at least four to six hours to paint up a decent tabletop job - if we're actually trying to do something nice-looking it could take 15 to 20 hours or more, and competition work takes weeks.

Yep, what Jack said.

• Like 3

Just for the record, most of us take at least four to six hours to paint up a decent tabletop job - if we're actually trying to do something nice-looking it could take 15 to 20 hours or more, and competition work takes weeks.

Yeah so far my few figures have taken over 6-7 each but I usually start around 4 or 5 pm not 10 pm. I wasn't trying to come off as pretentious or anything. I apologize.

• Like 4

Yeah so far my few figures have taken over 6-7 each but I usually start around 4 or 5 pm not 10 pm. I wasn't trying to come off as pretentious or anything. I apologize.

I think this was meant to encourage you, not admonish you!  Keep doing what you're doing, have fun, and try to heed Mad Jack's advice.  It's done when it's done (this applies to the miniature as a whole, and each "chapter" of the job.).  Don't try to go all perfectionist on a certain point, just paint until you're happy with it.  Sometimes you'll reach a point where the more you try to improve something (eyes, for example), the more you end up mucking it up.  Just have fun!

• Like 6

Lol sorry I get paranoid about annoying people. It's just my nature.

As much as i REALLY want to finish this tonight I'm falling asleep at my desk. But at least I got the basecoat done! (Well like 98% done)

Also I swear the figure looks so much better before i take an HD zoomed in photograph of it :P

post-15138-0-36525000-1471159475.jpgpost-15138-0-86419700-1471159475.jpg

• Like 10

Welcome to the boards! ^_^ You're off to a great start, nice smooth solid basecoating you've got going on there. ::):

Also I swear the figure looks so much better before i take an HD zoomed in photograph of it :P

That's unfortunately pretty common; the camera will frequently pick up and magnify things that are nearly or actually invisible in person, it can be quite frustrating!

And it's not just you, eyes are annoying no matter what. This particular figure is kind of tough, though; I'm looking at her right now, and not only are her eyes super tiny, they're also recessed quite a bit, so I'd say you did pretty good given how tricky they were!

Huzzah!

--OneBoot :D

• Like 4

Like the others have said, if you're having fun, then you're doing just fine. Keep practicing, all the little things (like eyes) that are frustrating now will become easier with time.

Also, kudos to you for jumping in the deep end and trying to do eyes on your fourth figure; it took me a lot longer than that to try.

• Like 3

One piece of advice on the guitar... Paint the strings and the spaces inbetween black, and then very gently and carefully dry-brush them with a mix of silver and gold if you have those colors, or just a darker silver... You'll want to go across the strings, much like you were strumming them, rather than along them, to make sure you cover the tops and sides of the strings but leave enough black under and between them to make them stand out.

• Like 4

The single most important thing I ever did to improve my miniature painting was to stop taking pictures of them. 

All pictures ever did was show me tiny mistakes that I will never, ever see with my eyes (or even with my magnifier).  And I would obsess over fixing those "mistakes."

I am now an absolutely amazing painter.

• Like 3

Opposite of Carnacki, I improved when I started taking pictures and was able to see where to improve. YMMV.

My biggest hurdle: Don't rush. The mini will be done when it is done. Breathe, take your time. Also, with eyes, like with freehand, don't over-thin your paint. Though I tend to paint with very thin paint (almost wash consistency), with freehand and eyes I paint almost straight from the bottle (I add some extender so it doesn't dry out so fast).

Do the black/very dark blue/very dark black/color of choice first, then the white/ivory/color of choice (which may need more than one pass), and make sure that is dry before you you go in with the dot. Don't use a too-small brush. I paint almost exclusively with a size 0, but have been branching into sizes 1 and 2 because the belly can hold more paint while the point is precision perfect. I use Windsor & Newton Series 7, but the higher-end Kolinsky's (Rosemary & Co, Da Vinci, Raphael) are all good (though, again, YMMV.. I have better luck with the Series 7s than the other brushes, but others have different experiences).

As someone mentioned before, sometimes turning the mini upside down while doing the eyes makes them easier.

You're doing great and love to see new people around and posting! Welcome to the forum. ^_^

• Like 3

One piece of advice on the guitar... Paint the strings and the spaces inbetween black, and then very gently and carefully dry-brush them with a mix of silver and gold if you have those colors, or just a darker silver... You'll want to go across the strings, much like you were strumming them, rather than along them, to make sure you cover the tops and sides of the strings but leave enough black under and between them to make them stand out.

Tried doing that with the Leather Brown under but I stopped paying attention and splotched a bunch of silver on. Gonna retry when I'm out of work with the black.

Thanks for the kind words. You all are very encouraging.

• Like 2