Sign in to follow this  
OneBoot

Sir Forscale the Shiny! - WIP

I've finally decided to get my boot in gear and paint up my submission to Reaperbryan's Sir Forscale competition: http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/69934-sir-forscale-painting-competition/

I'll be painting him up in the traditional Papal Guard colors of dark green and gold, using mostly metallics because SHINY. :wub:

First set of pictures!

EDIT: I can't get my pictures to work; apparently, Google Photos killed Picasa web albums for good sometime earlier this week. :grr:

Have this picture of a cat instead while I try to get it figured out.  <_<

Grumpy-Cat-on-bed-544409.jpg

EDIT EDIT: I've found a truly grotesque workaround for now, which I've used for these first two pics. Further pictures in this thread will have to wait until I work out something better.

post-11389-0-67805400-1471158347_thumb.jpg

post-11389-0-81499600-1471158360_thumb.jpg

His tabard and glove are all Reaper paints, starting with Rich Green and highlighting through various combinations of Rich Green, Christmas Wreath, Grass Green and Clear Green, in that order. Before the final Clear Green highlight, I did a Grass Green wash to tie it all together. I may do one final highlight to really make it look nice, but it's decent as-is.

The gold edging is P3 Solid Gold, and it is SO SHINY YOU GUYS HAVE NO IDEA. :wub: I mean, uh, hey look at that awesome NMM I totally did. Yeah.  :ph34r:

Huzzah!

--OneBoot :D

Edited by OneBoot
  • Like 15

Final progress for tonight! (still using the horrid workaround for sharing pics here; I'll wrestle with it properly tomorrow)

post-11389-0-94583000-1471158687_thumb.jpg

post-11389-0-76308000-1471158668_thumb.jpg

His shield got the same shiny treatment as the tabard; I'm not nearly as pleased with the shading of the green on it, though, and I think it's because I didn't push the highlight in the middle anywhere near enough so it's looking flat instead. Blah.

Question: Was painting the entire back of the shield Sold Gold too much? If so, I can make it green instead, or some other color.

Sword is P3 Radiant Platinum for the blade, and ReaperBryan Steel Sky Steel for the hilt, with a little dot of P3 Solid Gold for decoration.

Huzzah!

• Like 16

I usually do the inside of a shield either in black, some leather shade, or do a wood grain effect. Shields aren't solid metal...they'd be impossibly heavy if they were.

I would love to strangle the Google Geniuses who screwed up the Picassa Albums...preferably after I informed them as to the extent of their stupidity. I'm still using Picassa to up load photos, but my PhotoBucket has become my posting medium.

• Like 5

I usually do the inside of a shield either in black, some leather shade, or do a wood grain effect. Shields aren't solid metal...they'd be impossibly heavy if they were.

I would love to strangle the Google Geniuses who screwed up the Picassa Albums...preferably after I informed them as to the extent of their stupidity. I'm still using Picassa to up load photos, but my PhotoBucket has become my posting medium.

Yes but think how heavy Forscale's sword would be.

Hmmmm, the last time I used PhotoBucket to post here it seemed to be pretty low rez.  Maybe I did something wrong.

• Like 1

More progress! (Hopefully everyone can see the two pictures below; I'm giving Imgur a try and I haven't figured it all out yet)

9ARbHg5h.jpg

zpZjyqih.jpg

The emblem on his tabard (which I totally missed somehow) is now also P3 Solid Gold.

I couldn't settle on what color I wanted to do on his armor (his chain mail will either be a dark silver or a very dark gold), and decided to see how Reaper Emerald Green would look. I kind of like the effect, but he's very...green. :lol: I'm hoping that once I go back and pick out all of the little details in Solid Gold and paint his chainmail that it will help balance him out. I still need to go back and do 1-2 more coats of the Emerald Green to smooth it out, it's a bit patchy and rough right now. His boots will be the same greens as his tabard, when I get to them.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, I will be going over the back of his shield with something; that big spot of gold is just too distracting. I'll decide what will look best once I get his chainmail taken care of.

Huzzah!

Edited by OneBoot
  • Like 8

I like the emerald green armour!   I have a frog knight where I have been trying to paint colored metal on him ..green... but I did not think of using the emerald green..DUH!    Now I will have to add that as I think it would be perfect.

Thanks

• Like 1

Sorry for the lack of updating; I sort of fell into a painting groove and ended up finishing him rather than posting progress here. :lol:

I put the second layer of Emerald Green on his armor, and put Rich Green on his boots, and also put a second layer of Brown Liner on his chainmail. I can no longer un-see him as Sir Frogscale, thank you robinh.  :upside:

FGtGYORl.jpg

Chainmail! I carefully drybrushed a few coats of Reaper Scorched Metal on over the Brown Liner.

Note to future self: Please do the chainmail first next time; the drybrushing left several tiny bits of glitter on his tunic that refuse to brush off.  <_<

MmRKnz3l.jpg

oSSdSvJl.jpg

Next, I did all of the fiddly little details in P3 Solid Gold. He looks a bit less frog-like now. I'm especially pleased with how the back of his bracer turned out! :bday:

uvd9phvl.jpg

h4jWF0al.jpg

Boots painted up the same as his tunic; just the belt and base left!

39RzF7Nl.jpg

One, two, skip a few steps. His belt and shield straps basecoated in Ruddy Leather, followed by some light touches of Oiled Leather. The ground is Mahogany Brown, followed by increasingly lighter drybrushes of Ruddy Leather, Polished Leather, and Christmas Wreath. His boots also got a fancy little bit of 

qb0r0Ehl.jpg

2Zh5UY9l.jpg

And with that, other than sealer, he's do- wait a sec...I forgot his belt buckle. :P Okay, other than that, he's done.

I'm going to use gloss sealer on his armor and shield to make them EXTRA SHINY, then he'll be ready to ship off to ReaperBryan! ^_^ I'll do a Show-off with the final pics.

Huzzah!

• Like 10

Awesome!!

The back of the shield is indeed something I wouldn't have done in metal.

As Al pointed out, shields are not 100% metal normally..

Does anyone knows a bit about photobucket?

Mine is 80% full.. I deleted lots of stuff and still 80%???

• Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this