Sign in to follow this  
knarthex

Question about Tablets....

I'm late chiming in, but I own a Surface Pro. It's heavier than non Windows tablets, battery life was never that great, but it's still a fully functional computer.

And as others mentioned, avoid Surface or Surface 2 or 3 without the "Pro" moniker. They only run Windows 8.x RT which Microsoft never really supported. It's very limited as it cannot use regular PC software outside of those from the Microsoft Store. The Surface Pros on the other hand have the exact same functionality as a desktop/laptop.

Surface Pro >>>>> Surface

If you only use your tablet for internet stuff, I'd go with the Android platform. Lots of popular software and lots of choice in hardware.

If you want a tablet that also doubles as a full fledged PC, go Windows.

• Like 1

I have a couple follow up questions if anyone is really bored.

Are there any with stylus for writing that are sized well, for reading, say, larger colour gaming manuals?

I am considering something a little more mobile to cram into my laptop bag than this two inch binder and one inch book.

Plus I hear that the size of a couple of the books I want are beastly and have .pdf offerings that don't work for me at the moment, but could in the future.

I've used my surface as a Kindle a couple times with no issues, and PDFs open up just fine. I think even a Kindle itself can open PDFs by sending the file via email to your Kindle email address. So I would think nearly any tablet would work, unless some of the super cheap ones wouldn't manage that capability.

My suggestion: Take 2 and call me in the morning.

Better yet, get the gel caps; they'll go down easier.

::P:

Was that not helpful? I'm fairly certain you don't want to go the suppository route, but to each his own.

• Like 3

If that doesn't work, just get the suppository.

Also, take a look at the Asus Transformer line. The T300 series seems to be a pretty good competitor to the Surface line, and I recall the old T100s being pretty well received back when they were first introduced.

I only buy expensive, high quality gadgets, sorry.

I figure I'm not a gadget person, so I don't like to be annoyed by compromises or underperformance :(

Only advice I have is get something that lines up with your phone or your family's devices. ie don't buy an ipad if you have an android phone.

• Like 1

Are there any with stylus for writing that are sized well, for reading, say, larger colour gaming manuals?

My tablet is an older (2014) Galaxy Note Pro 12.2" Has a pressure-sensitive stylus that works well and is nicely large for all kinds of stuff. I read manuals, comics, watch movies and tv. It's my media device of choice when I'm not in the living room. A bit underpowered for gaming, though.
  • Like 1

Was that not helpful? I'm fairly certain you don't want to go the suppository route, but to each his own.

Only if [REDACTED!!!!]

okay try try again....

PC Magazine gave this one Editors choice for the Under $250 tablets:

Nvidia Shield Tablet K1:

Specs

Spoiler for size....

Model Brand NVIDIA Model 945-12571-2500-100 Details Color Black Specifications Video Features:
4K Ultra HD ready
4K playback at 60 FPS (VP9, H265, H264)
4K capture at 30 FPS (H264, H265)

Storage:
16GB (Note: portion of storage occupied by system software)
Wireless 802.11ac 2x2 MIMO 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz Wi-Fi
Bluetooth 4.1/BLE
Expandable with microSD card or USB drive

Weight and Size:
Weight: 23.00 oz. / 654.00g
Height: 1.00" / 25.00mm
Width: 8.30" / 210.00mm
Depth: 5.10" / 130.00mm

Software Updates:
SHIELD software upgrades directly from NVIDIA

Power:
40W power adapter (5-10W typical consumption)

Gaming Features:
NVIDIA GRID game streaming service
NVIDIA Share
NVIDIA GameStream

Included Apps:
Netflix
Google Play Store
YouTube
Google Play Movies & TV
Google Play Music
Photos & Videos
PLEX Tuner Audio 7.1 and 5.1 surround sound pass through over HDMI
High-resolution audio playback up to 24-bit/192 KHz over HDMI and USB
High-resolution audio up-sample to 24-bit/192 KHz over USB
Supports: AAC, MP3, OGG Vorbis, FLAC, PCM System Processor NVIDIA Tegra X1 processor with a 256-core GPU and 3GB RAM Operating Systems Supported Android 6.0 (Marshmallow) powered by Android TV and Google Cast Features Features NVIDIA SHIELD
The Best Android TV Box
NVIDIA SHIELD transforms your experience from just watching TV to playing TV. It's about amazing, interactive experiences, powered by the latest technologies and apps -as well as those yet to come. The hottest TV shows and movies in brilliant 4K. Your favorite songs at the touch of a button. And a new generation of great games.

A SMARTER ANDROID TV BOX
Explore a world of entertainment, powered by Android TV. Tap into Google Play for a huge, dynamic selection of movies, TV shows, and apps. Say "Oscar-winning movies" or "launch Netflix" and let Google's advanced voice commands do the work for you. Get personalized recommendations on your home screen. Even cast a show or pictures to your TV from your PC, Android, or iOS device with built-in Google Cast. SHIELD makes it fast and easy.

The controller is included
Enjoy precision gaming and navigation, voice commands, a headphone jack for private listening, Wi-Fi Direct for low-latency connectivity, and up to 40 hours of gameplay on a single charge.

4K TV SHOWS AND MOVIES
NVIDIA SHIELD is an amazing Ultra HD streaming media player, delivering incredible resolution in favorite apps like Netflix* 4K and YouTube 4K. Vivid 10-bit color and rich Dolby 7.1 surround sound** make this a true home theater experience. Or plug your headphones into your SHIELD controller or SHIELD remote*** for a private listening experience.
* Netflix limitations apply
** 7.1 and 5.1 pass-through
*** SHIELD remote sold separately

THE BEST STREAMING MEDIA PLAYER
At the heart of the SHIELD Android TV experience is the powerful NVIDIA Tegra X1 processor, which delivers performance that's 34x better than Apple TV, 25x better than Roku 3, and 8x better than Fire TV*. You now have the speed and power to play TV the way you want -every time.
* As measured with GFXBench T-Rex benchmark Package Contents Package Contents Gigabit Ethernet
HDMI 2.0
Two USB 3.0 (Type A)
Micro-USB 2.0
MicroSD slot
IR receiver (compatible with Logitech Harmony)

any thoughts? Seems like it will do what I want, and I can upgrade the memory to 500gb....   Thanks!   George

• Like 1

There aren't any 512GB micro sd cards afaik. I don't think you want to be tied to a dongle/external unit, do you?

I have a 128gb chip in my phone and it wasn't cheap. The one 256gb chip that's coming up on amazon is $200.

Interesting, I didn't know NVidia made tablets. From what I can tell, it should do nicely for what you are wanting it for (pictures and livestreaming video), since NVidia does great graphics. I'm a bit surprised there are tablets with 4K resolution; that's what MrBoot's monitor is, and it's very high-res.

I don't know whether 3 gigs of RAM is good or average for a tablet, so you may want to consider researching it to see if upgrading the RAM would be worth it.

Huzzah!

--OneBoot :D

Also, do many people feel that having cel service is worth it for a tablet?

It might be nice if you need a new book while you're driving (well, hopefully stopped or riding, but you know  ^_^ ), but I've never really noticed the lack on any of my tablets or my wife's tablets. If you want to stream video, you're looking at huge data usage anyway, which means your cell bills are going up significantly.

OTOH, if you want to play a game like Pokemon Go on a tablet, you'll need cell service to have a decent experience. But I use my phone for that.