Sign in to follow this  
knarthex

Question about Tablets....

I have AT&T wireless on my tablet and I love it. Passengers in my car can check traffic, Google store or restaurants or hotels all on the go. Or stream movies from Netflix or Amazon. My dad sees no use for the internet and so has no service to his house; not a problem for me.

Not to mention following Kickstarters while on the go.

• Like 1

okay try try again....

PC Magazine gave this one Editors choice for the Under $250 tablets:

Nvidia Shield Tablet K1:

Specs

Spoiler for size....

Model Brand NVIDIA Model 945-12571-2500-100 Details Color Black Specifications Video Features:

4K Ultra HD ready

4K playback at 60 FPS (VP9, H265, H264)

4K capture at 30 FPS (H264, H265)

Storage:

16GB (Note: portion of storage occupied by system software)

Wireless 802.11ac 2x2 MIMO 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz Wi-Fi

Bluetooth 4.1/BLE

Expandable with microSD card or USB drive

Weight and Size:

Weight: 23.00 oz. / 654.00g

Height: 1.00" / 25.00mm

Width: 8.30" / 210.00mm

Depth: 5.10" / 130.00mm

Software Updates:

SHIELD software upgrades directly from NVIDIA

Power:

40W power adapter (5-10W typical consumption)

Gaming Features:

NVIDIA GRID game streaming service

NVIDIA Share

NVIDIA GameStream

Included Apps:

Netflix

Google Play Store

YouTube

Google Play Movies & TV

Google Play Music

Photos & Videos

PLEX Tuner Audio 7.1 and 5.1 surround sound pass through over HDMI

High-resolution audio playback up to 24-bit/192 KHz over HDMI and USB

High-resolution audio up-sample to 24-bit/192 KHz over USB

Supports: AAC, MP3, OGG Vorbis, FLAC, PCM System Processor NVIDIA Tegra X1 processor with a 256-core GPU and 3GB RAM Operating Systems Supported Android 6.0 (Marshmallow) powered by Android TV and Google Cast Features Features NVIDIA SHIELD

The Best Android TV Box

NVIDIA SHIELD transforms your experience from just watching TV to playing TV. It's about amazing, interactive experiences, powered by the latest technologies and apps -as well as those yet to come. The hottest TV shows and movies in brilliant 4K. Your favorite songs at the touch of a button. And a new generation of great games.

A SMARTER ANDROID TV BOX

Explore a world of entertainment, powered by Android TV. Tap into Google Play for a huge, dynamic selection of movies, TV shows, and apps. Say "Oscar-winning movies" or "launch Netflix" and let Google's advanced voice commands do the work for you. Get personalized recommendations on your home screen. Even cast a show or pictures to your TV from your PC, Android, or iOS device with built-in Google Cast. SHIELD makes it fast and easy.

The controller is included

Enjoy precision gaming and navigation, voice commands, a headphone jack for private listening, Wi-Fi Direct for low-latency connectivity, and up to 40 hours of gameplay on a single charge.

4K TV SHOWS AND MOVIES

NVIDIA SHIELD is an amazing Ultra HD streaming media player, delivering incredible resolution in favorite apps like Netflix* 4K and YouTube 4K. Vivid 10-bit color and rich Dolby 7.1 surround sound** make this a true home theater experience. Or plug your headphones into your SHIELD controller or SHIELD remote*** for a private listening experience.

* Netflix limitations apply

** 7.1 and 5.1 pass-through

*** SHIELD remote sold separately

THE BEST STREAMING MEDIA PLAYER

At the heart of the SHIELD Android TV experience is the powerful NVIDIA Tegra X1 processor, which delivers performance that's 34x better than Apple TV, 25x better than Roku 3, and 8x better than Fire TV*. You now have the speed and power to play TV the way you want -every time.

* As measured with GFXBench T-Rex benchmark Package Contents Package Contents Gigabit Ethernet

HDMI 2.0

Two USB 3.0 (Type A)

Micro-USB 2.0

MicroSD slot

IR receiver (compatible with Logitech Harmony)

any thoughts? Seems like it will do what I want, and I can upgrade the memory to 500gb....   Thanks!   George

This thing is just an adapter for use on tvs....

I just realized that it has no screen size listed anywhere.....

:zombie:

Also, do many people feel that having cel service is worth it for a tablet?

It depends how much you will use the tablet on the go.

I've found it sufficient to be able to turn my phone into a mobile hotspot and connect through the phone if I need to use the tablet on the go.

Ron

my ipad mini is awesome.  perfect size to do pc-like stuff and with the older refurbished versions, you can get one fairly cheap.

If you can turn your phone into a hotspot, you don't need cell service on the tablet.

3GB is a bit underpowered these days. My last phone (galaxy s5) was 2GB and I was always against it with lots of app slowdown. The new one (s7 edge) has 4GB and is just about right, always seems to run without slowdowns. So 3GB might be ok, but it might not.

Also the Shield k1 is a tablet, 1920x1200. It can power a 1440 display, I think. I always get wary of "X Feature /ready/" because sometimes it means that feature is not currently present. And it's a bit odd they went with a non-standard screen shape.

It is primarily a gaming tablet, because that's what nvidia does. I'm somewhat loyal to Samsung, I like their engineering for the most part.

• Like 1

I think I need to resurrect this thread.

I currently already own a Microsoft Surface Pro (model 1), that has basically become my "go to" computer at home (my desktop is more powerful, but I hardly ever touch it anymore) and when I travel. But for travelling, it's heavier than pretty much all other tablets, and the battery life was never that great. And seeing some of the useful apps that people are using that aren't available on Windows is making me year for something new.

So now I'm in the market for an Android tablet. And with Black Friday/Cyber Monday around the corner, I figure there will be some nice new deals for tablets. Of all the different features available, the only thing making me hesitate is screen size. Do I want a 10" screen or will I be content with a 8" one.

I love my lenovo...

The only thing it doesn't have is its own SMS chip, so it needs a wifi connection.

I understand that outside of the US that they can come with one...

My Nexus 7 is still soldiering on without a hitch, and it's coming up on four years old.  I like the Google-spec models of phone and tablet - and will stick with them for the foreseeable future.  Plain vanilla Android means no bloatware to gum up the works.

The Egg

• Like 1

I'm somewhat loyal to Samsung, I like their engineering for the most part. 

As am I thou the whole Note7 fiasco doesn't sit well with me, (not that I was gonna get that one). I like a physical home key. Found out how much I miss that with  due to the phone I got the day before I left Boise for RC. Thou I don't miss the monthly cost!! :lol:

A couple years ago I got a Samsung Tab 3 tablet from my former service for like 50 bucks. Catch was you needed a 2 year plan with them. At the time they had a 250mb plan for like 5 bucks a month. I just turned the mobile off & the tablet was a normal wifi using tablet. Once the agreement was up, I cancelled the plan & it's a regular tablet now.

This was also around the time my Win7 computer decided to take kick the bucket (motherboard problems, I think). It worked perfectly till I was able to get a new desktop. Eventually I picked up a Chromebook as well (some may have seen it at RCon) & the tablet just sits now.

Still it was useful in it's time of need!! 

I've got to admit looking at a 7 inch screen vs a larger screen does make a difference. What I've seen in the Samsungs (I think they are called Tabs now ???) Bigger is better. You do have to deal with bloatware thou.

I think I need to resurrect this thread.

I currently already own a Microsoft Surface Pro (model 1), that has basically become my "go to" computer at home (my desktop is more powerful, but I hardly ever touch it anymore) and when I travel. But for travelling, it's heavier than pretty much all other tablets, and the battery life was never that great. And seeing some of the useful apps that people are using that aren't available on Windows is making me year for something new.

So now I'm in the market for an Android tablet. And with Black Friday/Cyber Monday around the corner, I figure there will be some nice new deals for tablets. Of all the different features available, the only thing making me hesitate is screen size. Do I want a 10" screen or will I be content with a 8" one.

Since you're used to a Surface, you might like the ASUS Transformer Book Chi that they have in the Microsoft Store. (Can't seem to find it anywhere else.) I tried one out in a physical store and the performance was pretty snappy. Without the keyboard (which detaches) it's super-slim. I'm eyeing it for our daughter because the high school has now got everything online and she's got more and more essays and stuff to do. It's not super-cheap, but then it also runs Win10.

Since you're used to a Surface, you might like the ASUS Transformer Book Chi that they have in the Microsoft Store. (Can't seem to find it anywhere else.) I tried one out in a physical store and the performance was pretty snappy. Without the keyboard (which detaches) it's super-slim. I'm eyeing it for our daughter because the high school has now got everything online and she's got more and more essays and stuff to do. It's not super-cheap, but then it also runs Win10.

As long as the charging cable lasts, I'll keep using my Surface Pro who I've already upgraded to Win 10 months ago (same for my desktop).

But now I want to try something different, and it will be with an Android. I want to try all those games I keep seeing on TV commercials (rarely available on Windows). I'm hoping any bloatware I find will be manageable (i.e. easy to disable/remove), and you'd be surprised at how many things I consider to be bloatware (I don't need to manage my non-existing music/movie collection).

• Like 2

As long as the charging cable lasts, I'll keep using my Surface Pro who I've already upgraded to Win 10 months ago (same for my desktop).

But now I want to try something different, and it will be with an Android. I want to try all those games I keep seeing on TV commercials (rarely available on Windows). I'm hoping any bloatware I find will be manageable (i.e. easy to disable/remove), and you'd be surprised at how many things I consider to be bloatware (I don't need to manage my non-existing music/movie collection).

Obviously you and I have different goals. On a tablet intended for school use, lack of available games is a perk. :;):

• Like 1

I have an ipad mini 2, which I bought to connect to electronic records 3 years ago. Since I knew I wasn't going to use the new system that went live in May, I haven't bothered trying to use it. I used to use it for my default browsing/playing games, but not typing device for leisure. Also reading PDF"s, and doing questions. However, if I am going to be on the forums, I know I am going to write a response, so I'd rather be on the laptop or curled up in bed on my iphone.

If I was only going to be using it for internet browsing, I'd probably just keep my iphone and laptop. 

I've got a modded kindle fire and a missed kindle fire HD. I never travel without em. Theyre great for what I use them for. Watching MST3K, youtube, posting to forums and some light mobile gaming.

The newer ones have an expanded hard drive where you can use over 64GBs micro sd in it.

• Like 1

Do I want a 10" screen or will I be content with a 8" one.

This is the question that I always struggle with the most (and I'm already a daily user of my tablet!).

I think it comes down to how you intend to use the tablet.  If you are regularly going to be holding the tablet one handed, then get a 7" or 8" version.  Otherwise, I think it's better to go with the 10" version.  Ultimately, that bigger screen real estate really does make a difference.