Recently Browsing 0 members
- No registered users viewing this page.
I bought this little model at a local game store that had it in the clearance bin. I thought it looked cool, I love Star Wars, so why not buy it? However, a year ago, I wasn't at the level to paint it. I primed it. Based it. And then let it sit for a loooooong time on the shelf without touching it.
Today was the day.
This was a great model for me to test layers on. Over the last 4 models I've painted, I've really picked up a new rhythm and life for painting, which feels so good to get some wind back in my sails. I still have to finish the desert-ish base for Greedo, but I think his paint job looks solid.
* Keeping my palette of colors out and planned helped so much! I've picked my layering colors, laid them out in the wet palette and am saving time.
* Mixing colors is also much easier by keeping similar tones. In his vest, and arm/pant panels, I used leather as the base. In his pants and jacket, I used a stormy gray to highlight up.
* Alien Flesh!!! I've been sitting on this color, I don't know how long. I was thinking, "Gosh, if only I had a light green that would work with an alie...OH MY GOD!
* Learning my own recipe of water-to-paint ratios to allow for washes feels great! Gives my painting more flexibility.
* Eyes. When they are that big, it makes it pretty easy to do them. I need to work on the reflections still, but I am happy with them. Using Indigo Blue and up to Rich Indigo then mixing in white up to white. Works.
* Got sloppy twice and ended up swiping leather color over my pants and jacket 2 times. Thankfully I could catch and fix, but it was a few 'choice words' I may have said when I did it.
* Used a blue tack for the handle I was using and unfortunately, it didn't stick as well to my homemade metal base. It nearly fell into the paint palette. He nearly ended up as messy as my shorts. I nearly crapped myself. Also followed by more choice words.
* I tried using brown liner around the jacket and separation in the pockets on the vest, but it just didn't work like I had hoped. I need to learn how to darken in a similar color without going too dark and stark of a change.
Would love to hear your feedback. Let me know what you think can be improved or worked on. I appreciate any and all comments.
Here's my process photos and my inspiration image.
I just finished painting this figure yesterday. It's from the old Grenadier boxed set 'Fighting Men' #2005. Not really a whole lot to say about him, I spent about 3 hours painting him to a good tabletop level. I got a little burned out on painting for a while, feeling like I had to paint everything to a competition level. Well, sometimes it's just fun to slap some paint on a figure in a few hours just to take your mind off of other things. I had just forgotten that somewhere along the way.
Anyhow, here he is, let me know what you think.
This is a vintage mini, Grenadier Dragonman Sorcerer, I got it from a BOGW a few years ago.
I will use him as a Demon Officer in my Children of the Grave army, because I think he looks a bit like a classic Demon.