Sign in to follow this  
Hobbletoe

Wizkids : Mage Knight: Living Elemental, Potbellied Gremlin, Skeleton Archer, Wood Golem : WIP

Welcome! This is my first thread here, and I wanted to take the opportunity to thank everyone for the knowledge and inspiration that I have already received from this site.

I painted some when I was in college about 20 years ago.  Mostly GW stuff as it was easily obtained.  Most of it was fairly flat.  No wash, layering, glazes, ... However, I did do a little with drybrushing.  The back of the cloaks on the Wood Elf Wayfinders very much screamed for drybrushing.

I've spent my last few months getting an area in my garage cleared for me to paint., as well as picking up a few supplies.  Most of my GW paints had dried out.  At least one ones in the pots.  I still have a few of the bottles that they used before the pots that still have usable paint in them.  Most of my paints are the hobby paints that you can pick up at Wal-mart, Hobby Lobby, Michael's.  I got some paints someone was throwing out, so .... cheap.  My one lamp (swing arm with magnifying lens) I also got because someone was throwing it out (they claimed it didn't work.  Simple bulb change fixed that).  This last week I have been putzing about with my camera (Polaroid i256 I think.  Nothing special).  I have been trying to figure out how to get a good picture, and keep the size of the picture down.  So, let's see how I did.

Living Elemental © Wizkids

Not much so far.  Just the basecoating.  I'm looking to blend color into the "branches" for lack of a better word.  I'm looking to have them be lighter at the tops as they should have the least growth/weathering.  At least as I see it.

Skeleton Archer © Wizkids

I've noticed that I missed some armor on the left leg, as well as a spot on the box (visible from the back).  I plan on adding metal to the armor at the ends, but feel that it should be mostly leather.  I plan on doing the cape in blue and the fletches in red.  The cape I want to blend into a dark brown/black at the bottom to give the idea of it being worn and used over the decades.

Wood Golem © Wizkids

I picked this because I thought it would be fun, and because of the contrast to be had between the bark and the exposed parts where it looks like it has been cut.  I want to get a wash on those parts to try and show off the rings.  I also want to do an overbrush on the bark to try and darken that up some.

Potbellied Gremlin © Wizkids

Nothing here yet.  I was working with browns the other day and that just doesn't fit in yet.  For whatever reason, I see this guy as a bit of a diseased creature, and am looking to work with a lot of glazing with yellows, brows, and greens.

All of these pics are just the front photo.  I have side and rear pictures as well that can be found in the link in my signature.  The WIP pictures should all be around 60-70kb to fit the WIP guideline of 150kb.  If you venture off into the Miscellaneous section, those pictures might be a bit larger (~500kb).  But, you can look at my workspace (such as it is), lightbox, paints, brushes, and bitboxes.

Thanks for your time.  Any and all critiques are welcome.  How else am I to learn?

post-15104-0-50913000-1471998261_thumb.jpg

post-15104-0-39409100-1471998264.jpg

post-15104-0-01429200-1471998267_thumb.jpg

post-15104-0-89744600-1471998269_thumb.jpg

Edited by Hobbletoe
  • Like 9

Welcome to the Forum!

You'll find lots of tips and useful advice in the different threads here.

Be sure to ask when needed.

Very friendly people and creatures here, albeit some are a bit silly every now and then.

I like what you've done so far.

To enhance the skeleton you could give the bones a thin brown wash, this will define the depth and it will look even better.

Be sure to stick around and show off your work!

We love that here!

Welcome to the Forum!

Very friendly people and creatures here, albeit some are a bit silly every now and then.

To enhance the skeleton you could give the bones a thin brown wash, this will define the depth and it will look even better.

We love that here!

I'll be sure to do that I'm a bit concerned about what I have for a brown wash though.  I used "Chocolate Brown" from I think the Apple Barrel line of paints, and it is almost a brown/purple when wet, and almost a milk chocolate when dry (go figure). I was hoping for something a bit more brown though.  I might play with it a bit first.

• Like 1

Welcome to the Forum!

We love that here!

I'll be sure to do that I'm a bit concerned about what I have for a brown wash though.  I used "Chocolate Brown" from I think the Apple Barrel line of paints, and it is almost a brown/purple when wet, and almost a milk chocolate when dry (go figure). I was hoping for something a bit more brown though.  I might play with it a bit first.

Thin it with water on a pallette and test it on something?

If possible investing in a few good brushes and paints will definitely pay off!!!

Welcome to the Forum!

We love that here!

Thin it with water on a pallette and test it on something?

If possible investing in a few good brushes and paints will definitely pay off!!!

Yeah.  I need to get in the practice of practicing before I paint.

There is a reason why I'm don't have really good paints and brushes right now.  I've got enough to start and really want to start picking up better paints eventually.

Ok.  Finally got to paint (doesn't happen as often as I would like, but I'll take it where I can get it).  I think that the Wood Golem looks a little better.  The Gremlin got his base coat.  The Archer and Elemental I had a little trouble with.  I was putting a brown "wash" on them, and I think it turned out as more of a really thin paint than a wash.  It works well for the elemental (kind of blends the top and bottom well).  For the Archer ... I think I'll just repaint the bones and apply something closer to a wash next time.

post-15104-0-92996400-1471998302_thumb.jpg

post-15104-0-04235700-1471998306.jpg

post-15104-0-96320800-1471998316.jpg

post-15104-0-99686900-1471998320_thumb.jpg

Edited by Hobbletoe
  • Like 4

Ok.  Finally got to paint (doesn't happen as often as I would like, but I'll take it where I can get it).  I think that the Wood Golem looks a little better.  The Gremlin got his base coat.  The Archer and Elemental I had a little trouble with.  I was putting a brown "wash" on them, and I think it turned out as more of a really thin paint than a wash.  It works well for the elemental (kind of blends the top and bottom well).  For the Archer ... I think I'll just repaint the bones and apply something closer to a wash next time.

You could also correct the excess, by now drybushing the bone colour over the parts where you want it.

The Archer can easily be improved like that.

Just look where you want the browns to stay.

When making a wash or glaze yourself, I mix it on a disposable plastic tray ( dinner plates) and I mix till you can see the plate through the paint when you stir it with a brush

For a glaze It must be even thinner.

You're doing fine!

Keep it up!

Edited by Xherman1964
  • Like 1

First off, welcome to the forums!

Secondly, it's nice to see there are other people out there repainting those old mage Knight figures; I've got a fair number in my collection that actually look fairly decent with a good paintjob on them.

Third, good work so far!

• Like 1

Another update.  

The Wood Golem just had eyes added.  I think he just needs a little wash and some highlights, and he should be done.

I drybrushed  the bones on the skeleton as 

Xherman1964 suggested.  I think that it corrected the problem.  I don't think that I considered it as previously, I had painted one-dimensionally, and not in Layers.  Just something else to keep in mind, right.  I also added his eyes, and based where I want silver to be in black.  I'm going to start working on the cape next.  I'm going to try to build a triad for blue out of what I have.  Really need to get some good paints at some point.

I put a couple layers of a 'Leaf Green' (Apple Barrel brand I believe) glaze.  I just put a little bit of paint into a cup and a lot of distilled water.  It is starting to show, but needs more layers.  I'm going to do some more layers of the green wash, and add in some yellow blotches later.

The Living Elemental got a black wash at the bottom, and what turned out to be what looks like a frosting on the top.  I'll definitely have to go back and fix that up some.  I also set him up with some eyes as well.

Thanks everyone for the tips and support.  I really appreciate it, and the community feel that I got while lurking is a big reason for me joining the forum.

post-15104-0-10632100-1471998366_thumb.jpg

post-15104-0-15792600-1471998369.jpg

post-15104-0-70466600-1471998371.jpg

post-15104-0-49127500-1471998374_thumb.jpg

Edited by Hobbletoe
  • Like 5

I actually kinda like the living elemental the way it is now; it looks like in mid-summoning: the bottom is still dark 'cause it hasn't completely materialized in this plane yet.

I actually kinda like the living elemental the way it is now; it looks like in mid-summoning: the bottom is still dark 'cause it hasn't completely materialized in this plane yet.

Interesting ... Then I should do a few more light black coats closer to the bottom to emphasis that.

• Like 2