Sign in to follow this  
Heisler

Caboose Hobbies Closing

September 25, 2016 will be a sad day for folks in the Denver area. That is the day that Caboose Hobbies will close its doors for the last time. This isn't just any brick and mortar hobby shop, his is the largest train store in the world. Its almost a ritual for members of the CMPA to bring out of state sculptors and painters to the store and watch them go wild at the number of things they find for basing and dioramas. I remember Jeremie Bonamont loading up on all kinds of things while he was here doing one of his US traveling tours. I think Michael Proctor ended up shipping a good chunk of it over to France for him.

This is not a closing like we have seen in the past either where the business is being shut down for being poor. They do a very thriving online and in store business. In this case they are falling victim to progress as the area becomes more and more gentrified and the value of the land has now exceeded the value of the leases held by the landlord. The owners are simply retiring at this point. The current owner, the son of the original owner, has worked the store since 1969 and moved it to its current location in 1981. I'm hoping that maybe some of the employees will band together or someone will step in and buy it to keep it going, but that may just be a dream.

duane-joanna-retirement.jpg

• Like 3

"It's not just for money that a man goes into business, but, rather, to preserve a way of Life one has come to know & love." or so Mr. Fezziwig observes in Scrooge (the one with Alistair Sim).

That aside, it's sad to see a hobby store close, & one as long standing as this one especially so.

• Like 1

Gentrification sucks elf.

Here in the SF Bay Area, they use pretty much every upwardly-mobile, hip term they can to avoid saying "gentrification," and they get away with it because Silicon Valley is expected to attract money.

But it still amounts to the few remaining people doing "Joe jobs" having to live four families to an apartment, or having to drive 100 miles round trip each day just to get to work.

Can you imagine driving a hundred miles a day to work at Jack-in-the-Box?

One day, all these spoiled tech people will look around and wonder why every store or service that does not pay $30 an hour is closed down. And it will be because nobody can afford the gas it takes to get between the affordable housing and the lousy jobs.

• Like 1

End of an era...

I can't imagine losing my FLGS - I've known the owner since i was fifteen, longer than anyone else in my life other than direct relatives.

• Like 1

And the owners have finally re-opened! The location is much farther west and the new website is very limited in scope right now. I'm just glad to see them make in business. It's now known as Caboose LTD and the new website is my caboose.com

• Like 8

On 3/5/2017 at 10:00 AM, Heisler said:

And the owners have finally re-opened! The location is much farther west and the new website is very limited in scope right now. I'm just glad to see them make in business. It's now known as Caboose LTD and the new website is my caboose.com

I went by the other day - they're right next door to the Grease Monkey on west Alameda Ave.  Nice big store - they haven't grown their stock enough to make it look really full yet, but they're working on it.  A nice selection of Vallejo paint, too.

• Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By DocPiske
      Looks interesting for the terrain, if not the miniatures. Two armies package includes two 20"x20" fortresses for less than $100.

There are a couple of things that give me pause, though. First time creator, and claims to be in Chicago but English is clearly not his first language. May not mean anything but makes me wonder.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/crumb-group/eternal-eight

"After over three years in the making, we are proud to present you the Eternal Eight - a WORLD'S FIRST 3D mini war game with innovative real 3D RELIEF. 
      The goal of the game is to  capture the enemy’s King. The advantages of Eternal Eight are the 3D castles, fortresses and villages with a myriad of traps, labyrinths and  secret passages. All of the army bases (castles, villages, fortresses) are easy to assemble and move around.
      The game can be easily incorporated into your existing game table setup or provide a great addon to some of your existing mini war games."

• By Mckenna35
      Stumbled across this and thought it might be of interest to some folks here.  Be a different way of putting together woods and stuff for traditional wargaming.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/babbletree/terragon-terrain

Pretty much the entire 'leader' page is GIFs so I'm not going to try and copy it over to here.
    • By Rob Dean
      So, I invoke the 3 foot rule on these; one could go back and forth forever attempting to edge half-timbered buildings.

I have been idly working on new scenery since the pandemic, and finished two more buildings plus a well I bought a few months ago.  (That’s lightning speed compared to some projects.)  These are sold on Amazon by some outfit called Ender Toys.  I picked up a group of four, and a second group of two, some fences and the well.  

If these are an example of what I could get at home, I’m not rushing out to get a printer to wrestle with.  The filament lines are pretty distinct close up.

However, they are light and didn’t take all that long to paint, so I think they will be fine in a game.

I posted the earlier buildings plus some tree bases in this thread: https://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/92205-tree-group-bases/

The overall building collection now looks like this, including a Battle Masters tower:

My crystal ball says there is a skirmish game in my near future...
    • By Rat13
      As Halloween approaches the dollar stores are filling up with cheap decorations and spooky bricabrac. Amid all the potential projects a certain reflective skull caught my eye. Not knowing if it would take paint or not I decided to roll the dice on a few. I attached them to some bases, added a bit of sand, and the next day I took them out to prime. 

They ended up taking primer just fine, though I guess I shouldn't be surprised with the primer I use. Unfortunately I forgot to snap a picture of their grey primed goodness. 

Next up were the basecoats of the skull and "dirt".

I didn't get great or even smooth coverage on the skulls, but it was good enough as I was just going to add a heavy wash anyway.

The wash was a bit thicker than I wanted but again I figured it was passable and more than good enough to move onto a final drybrush.

Not too bad, but there is definitely room for improvement. I guess I'll just have to practice a bit more with my new drybrush. 

I finally took the leap and tried Uncle Atom's makeup dry brushing technique. Though this project probably qualifies as a failure, I do see the potential. Now all I need is more practice, it's not like I don't have a huge backlog of terrain just waiting to be painted.
    • By MoonglowMinis
      Not super sure where to post this but this made the most sense to me. I found some fantastic miniature pumpkins at my local Joann Fabrics.

Hopefully you can find them elsewhere if you don't have a Joann's.
      They come in $10 bags that are pretty big. I don't see myself ever needing to buy more. 

They say "fall drieds" which makes me think they're some kind of organic. But they have the consistency of some kind of acorn or pinecone. So pretty solid. I don't think they'd deteriorate but if you're worried I'm sure a sealant of some kind would do the trick. 

They come in a mix of sizes but they all look pretty good at 28mm scale. The cutting mat has half-inch squares.
      Most of the pumpkins are of the artistically exaggerated size compared to a mini, and the smaller ones tend to be darker and a bit more mishapen. The coloration in them is pretty decent. I think they could use a layer of highlights but if you're in a hurry or making a huge pumpkin patch, then they look just fine. 

Anyways, I hope this is useful for someone!
  • Who's Online   20 Members, 2 Anonymous, 34 Guests (See full list)