September 25, 2016 will be a sad day for folks in the Denver area. That is the day that Caboose Hobbies will close its doors for the last time. This isn't just any brick and mortar hobby shop, his is the largest train store in the world. Its almost a ritual for members of the CMPA to bring out of state sculptors and painters to the store and watch them go wild at the number of things they find for basing and dioramas. I remember Jeremie Bonamont loading up on all kinds of things while he was here doing one of his US traveling tours. I think Michael Proctor ended up shipping a good chunk of it over to France for him.

This is not a closing like we have seen in the past either where the business is being shut down for being poor. They do a very thriving online and in store business. In this case they are falling victim to progress as the area becomes more and more gentrified and the value of the land has now exceeded the value of the leases held by the landlord. The owners are simply retiring at this point. The current owner, the son of the original owner, has worked the store since 1969 and moved it to its current location in 1981. I'm hoping that maybe some of the employees will band together or someone will step in and buy it to keep it going, but that may just be a dream.

duane-joanna-retirement.jpg

• Like 3
  • Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

"It's not just for money that a man goes into business, but, rather, to preserve a way of Life one has come to know & love." or so Mr. Fezziwig observes in Scrooge (the one with Alistair Sim).

That aside, it's sad to see a hobby store close, & one as long standing as this one especially so.

• Like 1

Gentrification sucks elf.

Here in the SF Bay Area, they use pretty much every upwardly-mobile, hip term they can to avoid saying "gentrification," and they get away with it because Silicon Valley is expected to attract money.

But it still amounts to the few remaining people doing "Joe jobs" having to live four families to an apartment, or having to drive 100 miles round trip each day just to get to work.

Can you imagine driving a hundred miles a day to work at Jack-in-the-Box?

One day, all these spoiled tech people will look around and wonder why every store or service that does not pay $30 an hour is closed down. And it will be because nobody can afford the gas it takes to get between the affordable housing and the lousy jobs.

• Like 1

And the owners have finally re-opened! The location is much farther west and the new website is very limited in scope right now. I'm just glad to see them make in business. It's now known as Caboose LTD and the new website is my caboose.com

• Like 8
On 3/5/2017 at 10:00 AM, Heisler said:

And the owners have finally re-opened! The location is much farther west and the new website is very limited in scope right now. I'm just glad to see them make in business. It's now known as Caboose LTD and the new website is my caboose.com

I went by the other day - they're right next door to the Grease Monkey on west Alameda Ave.  Nice big store - they haven't grown their stock enough to make it look really full yet, but they're working on it.  A nice selection of Vallejo paint, too.

• Like 1