Recently Browsing 0 members
- No registered users viewing this page.
So as I mentioned in my Mr. Bones show off, I painted up Garrick AKA ForScale to be a test run for Matte Varnishing (which didn't happen through airbrush, next time I guess), he did get a brush on varnish which went very well, so without further Ado, here is my take on Sir Forscale (overall he came out well, but his yellow shield IMHO sucks, maybe I just don't do well with yellow) C&C always welcome.
WhiteWulfe gives "speed painting" a whirl (77008 Garrick the Bold, 77057 Juliette, Female Sorceress)By WhiteWulfe
I'm a bit delayed on these photos, as I got distracted by various things but pictures are finally taken, even if there's apparently some dust on them now >.>;;;;
Anyways! Back in February (Feb 18th to be precise, at least according to messages I'd posted on Discord) I decided I wanted to give speed painting a whirl, in order to try and develop a few techniques that I could then apply to my Skaven horde of doom. I also wanted to try out a few different mini holders (generic tylenol, as well as Motrin bottles) to see if I'd prefer something like the Mini Holder, or if I could just DIY something, as my current solutions tends to wind up causing my right paw to cramp up after a while, and maneuvering the miniature isn't always the easiest. Such was partially inspired by the awesome thread @ManvsMini did about custom holders and also a desire to see whether it would be worth splurging on a Hobby Holder with Handle Mod 1.
Short version is that the Motrin bottles won out, although the generic tylenol bottle was handy because it has a lid that spins more easily... So technically the Hobby Holder would be able to do both, AND give me a brush rest.
Anyways, I'm rambling in a show-off thread.... Originally I'd wanted to do just the one mini, but quickly wound up putting two up so I could directly compare the two bottle types I had on hand. I think I set my goal at "finish a single mini within two hours", and I'd say I pulled that off, since I managed to do two in 2h10min... So needless to say, rather happy about that! Oh, it also morphed into some sort of "less than twelve colours used" and "you can only use one 10-well palette, and once a colour is in one, it's committed" challenges too, both of which I was successful with (11 paints total used, including washes, and I sure wound up using all ten wells too). Not quite sure why I do such, but eh, it was for fun, and I had fun, which is the most important aspect of it all in my eyes!
^So first up, obvious is Sir Forscale, aka Garrick the Bold... In Bones.
^And then Juliette, Female Sorceress, also in Bones.
And since I can't resist, yup, all done with size 0 brushes, because that's pretty much all I had on hand back then.
So, I have to playfully ask myself, what did I learn, besides the obvious aspect of a fox loves orange and black? Uhm... Good question. I know I did a decent amount of drybrushing, but I also can't even remember if I used any metallic paints or not as it's been a while >.>;;;;
By Cranky Dog
They're finally done, my two Sir Forscale entries.
First one: Sir Justin For$ale. He's in it for the money.
Second one: Sir Justin Forscale, Grand Surveyor, complete with reflective strip safety tabard, a 3 inch accurate yard stick (at ½ in precision, who needs Bryangles?) and plumb line.
So here is my slightly converted Garrick the Bold, using Reaper's Breast Cancer Awareness Pink Paint. I have a few bottles to use up.
I used Reaper MSP Filigree Silver for the armor and sword. I don't like this paint; it went on way too thick and thinning just made is worse.
I know the ribbon is supposed to be pink, but I liked this color scheme better.
Oh, and crest on the shield is made from plasticard. So many tiny pieces were lost and had to be re-cut.
By Lord of the Dish Pit
A while back I figured that no collection was really complete without a Sir Forscale and I thought I'd paint him in the colors of Figmentius. Eventually I'll do one for all the houses.
I was pleasantly surprised how well the freehand on the Unicorn turned out. Tonight is also the first time using my new camera, and the photos turned out quite well after I figured out what a Macro was.