Base Boss by Reaper

nakos

I prefer lipped bases for "display" models. It feels like the miniature is in a frame.

Yes! That's exactly what I was trying to convey, thank you for putting it so succinctly.

That's kinda what I thought, which is why I suppose I dislike the aesthetics of them as I primarily use them for gaming and prefer that they blend as seamlessly as possible with the map/layout.

As a result I try and visually blend the edge as best I can. You would think I would prefer the clear plastic bases, but I don't. I really liked the 25mm bases that came with the last Bones Kickstarter, and I like some 20mm ones that came with some Hasslefree minis even better. Reaper's 18mm/20mm beveled bases look appealing too.

In fact, I prefer to base minis only when absolutely necessary for stability, and when I do I prefer minimalistic.

But, in a display case I think they do look exactly like you mention... framed when it has the larger black area to visually offset the space of the mini.

Edited by cthulhu
  • Like 4

• Replies 502
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Curious, the oval bases. I think Infinity uses these but what exactly are these made for? Oddball shaped large minis perhaps?

Rocket bike, motor bike, weapons platforms.

I have a horse mini I based on two pennies. So maybe things like that.

• Like 1

I would like to see some Movement Trays among the bases - for use in Kings of War and other games where the hordes are all moved together.

They are also useful for making small dioramas.

The Auld Grump

Until Reaperbryan made it clear that this KS was already planed out, I was going to suggest making rings that fit right around each size of base.  Then you could fill in around the rings with spackle or whatever to make multibases or dioramas with removable minis.

Oh and oval bases could be used for either cavalry or prone figures in a skirmish game.

• Like 1

a bump....

There's a lot of suggestions for new base sizes, shapes, and styles that aren't currently in the Pledge Manager, and our more enthusiastic fans are responding with comments along the lines of "This is just pre-launch, wait until the thing launches and Reaper showcases all of the awesome!".

We'd like to respond to both of those comments.

The BaseBoss project and product line is not like Bones. This project is being presented as much more of a "WSYWIG" (What You See Is What You Get) project. That is, we're introducing 17 new base styles/sizes/shapes. We're introducing them all at day one - because we've already invested most of the money needed to make this project happen up front. There's not really any stretch goals, and not really any new items (although this isn't entirely true, but more on that below the quotes). We're not going to be introducing 17 new bases and then at funding introduce a Stretch Goal for even more new styles, new shapes, or whatever. 

Making the tools, and then freighting them to the US, would introduce time delays, and we really are trying to do this one in-house and on-time. New molds which haven't been already planned for just aren't truly in the cards.

What about a hex base bigger than 1inch? Or bases in other colors? like green or transparent purple?

Hmm.. If I could get clear 25mm Square bases I'd very likely switch over to Reaper for all of our basing needs.

Now, this is something we've been playing with. We've been experimenting with color and transparency options since we started making the clear and colored weapons for Bones 3 on-site.

74023_CLR.jpg

This is our standard 74023 base - the one that comes with our Chronoscope models. Mostly presented just to show you what I'm talking about.

So what we'd really like to know is; Among all of the base options in the BaseBoss Pledge Manager, which ones would you most like to see in clear? And if we made colors available, we believe the logistics of offering Clear, Red, Blue, Yellow, Green, Purple and Black over ~40 SKUs would introduce over 250 new parts for us to have to store and track sales of individually - but which colors, exactly, in which sizes, exactly, would be worth it? Would a red 74035 be ok, but a red 74071 not be up your alley?

Whaddya say?

• Like 2

I'll put it out there again that the colored bases don't hold all that much interest for me personally. If there was a set of bases that are all the same size and had 2 or 3 of each color you end up running could be handy when basing a a unit of skirmishers. The clear versions are what really raise my eyebrow. 

• Like 3

I'm not a fan of the lipped round bases (Dark Age) as even thou I don't game as much as I'd like I still like having the minis ready for that, since more then likely it'll be 1 inch based combat ::): + I'm sure the Grognard in me likes the plastic bases he first saw  some 30+ years ago from GW.

Still thou, they do make for a nicer display base.

Curious, the oval bases. I think Infinity uses these but what exactly are these made for? Oddball shaped large minis perhaps?

Ovals are common among various GW games

I'm loosing track if I replied here or commented in KS. But I'd buy a set of transparent square or round based in 25mm, 50mm, 75mm, 100mm sizes w/o slots and w/o copyright text showing.

With slots and text I'm really on the fence as IMHO both distract from the effect your trying to achieve by going transparent.

• Like 5

It could be really useful for doing windows.

Oooh, windows.

Definitely outside the scope of this KS, but if Reaper decided to do a line of crystal clear square and rectangular RPG style like bases in a variety of sizes, i would buy them in bulk.  I love making my own foamcore terrain, and it would be awesome to have pre-made windows. 

I could very well be the only other person who would want them, though. 

• Like 5

My opposition to clear bases mainly stems from two items:

(1) What is the likelihood that clear bases will become cloudy and/or yellow?

(2) The amount of visual distortion. I just don't like the blurriness. I think I'd rather see a clear stone base in a jungle than a blurry base everywhere.

• Like 1

As I mentioned earlier, I would back the KS if there were clear bases (either 30mm, 32mm). It looks better than having a mini based with a dungeon scheme placed in a jungle setting. 

Change the settings as they apply to you.

Runepriest

Why would standing on ice make sense in a jungle?

:rock: