Base Boss by Reaper

nakos

• Replies 502
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Those who know where I pulled the following before editing are my true friends.

[Announcer:] There's just one place to go for all of your basing needs

[Random Voice #1:] Base Boss City

[Random Voice #2:] Base Boss City

[Announcer:] 

A giant warehouse of bases for every occasion. 

Thousands to choose from in every shape, size, and color. 

And because we eliminate the middle man, we can sell all our bases factory direct to you. 

Where do you go if you want to buy name brand bases at a fraction of retail cost?

[Random Voice:] Base Boss City

And this weekend only, take advantage of our special liquidation sale. 

Buy nine bases, get the tenth one for just one penny. 

Don't forget, they make great Christmas presents. 

And what better way to say "I love you." than with the gift of a base?

[Ed Pugh:] 

Hello, this is Ed Pugh, president of Base Boss City. 

I liked their bases so much, I bought the company.

Base Boss City - seven locations; we're in the yellow pages under "bases".

[Neighbor:] My, where did you get that lovely base?

[singers:] Base Boss City: We sell bases, and that's all.

• Like 6

Those who know where I pulled the following before editing are my true friends.

[Announcer:] There's just one place to go for all of your basing needs
[Random Voice #1:] Base Boss City
[Random Voice #2:] Base Boss City

A giant warehouse of bases for every occasion. 
Thousands to choose from in every shape, size, and color. 
And because we eliminate the middle man, we can sell all our bases factory direct to you. 
Where do you go if you want to buy name brand bases at a fraction of retail cost?

And this weekend only, take advantage of our special liquidation sale. 
Buy nine bases, get the tenth one for just one penny. 
Don't forget, they make great Christmas presents. 
And what better way to say "I love you." than with the gift of a base?

[Ed Pugh:] 
Hello, this is Ed Pugh, president of Base Boss City. 
I liked their bases so much, I bought the company.

Base Boss City - seven locations; we're in the yellow pages under "bases".

[Neighbor:] My, where did you get that lovely base?
[singers:] Base Boss City: We sell bases, and that's all.

Ohh   I know!!!   Love that movie.

• Like 1

I see you have transparent hex slotted base in the pledge manager.

Any possibility of a simple transparent round 30 mm base?  Or any other transparent bases at all?

Transparent bases are something that would interest me too, and aren't easily found.
  • Like 3

Any possibility of a simple transparent round 30 mm base?  Or any other transparent bases at all?

Transparent bases are something that would interest me too, and aren't easily found.

There is a custom transparent base that I would love to have, but i doubt has enough market demand to make it worth it.

It would be oval, about 22-25 mm long, and about 16-20mm wide, with an integrated short post about 8-10mm high, with a peg sized for the Renegade Legion Centurion grav tanks.  

• Like 1

There's a lot of suggestions for new base sizes, shapes, and styles that aren't currently in the Pledge Manager, and our more enthusiastic fans are responding with comments along the lines of "This is just pre-launch, wait until the thing launches and Reaper showcases all of the awesome!".

We'd like to respond to both of those comments.

The BaseBoss project and product line is not like Bones. This project is being presented as much more of a "WSYWIG" (What You See Is What You Get) project. That is, we're introducing 17 new base styles/sizes/shapes. We're introducing them all at day one - because we've already invested most of the money needed to make this project happen up front. There's not really any stretch goals, and not really any new items (although this isn't entirely true, but more on that below the quotes). We're not going to be introducing 17 new bases and then at funding introduce a Stretch Goal for even more new styles, new shapes, or whatever. 

Making the tools, and then freighting them to the US, would introduce time delays, and we really are trying to do this one in-house and on-time. New molds which haven't been already planned for just aren't truly in the cards.

What about a hex base bigger than 1inch? Or bases in other colors? like green or transparent purple?

Hmm.. If I could get clear 25mm Square bases I'd very likely switch over to Reaper for all of our basing needs.

Now, this is something we've been playing with. We've been experimenting with color and transparency options since we started making the clear and colored weapons for Bones 3 on-site.

74023_CLR.jpg

This is our standard 74023 base - the one that comes with our Chronoscope models. Mostly presented just to show you what I'm talking about.

So what we'd really like to know is; Among all of the base options in the BaseBoss Pledge Manager, which ones would you most like to see in clear? And if we made colors available, we believe the logistics of offering Clear, Red, Blue, Yellow, Green, Purple and Black over ~40 SKUs would introduce over 250 new parts for us to have to store and track sales of individually - but which colors, exactly, in which sizes, exactly, would be worth it? Would a red 74035 be ok, but a red 74071 not be up your alley?

Whaddya say?

Any possibility of a simple transparent round 30 mm base? Or any other transparent bases at all?

There is a custom transparent base that I would love to have, but i doubt has enough market demand to make it worth it.

It would be oval, about 22-25 mm long, and about 16-20mm wide, with an integrated short post about 8-10mm high, with a peg sized for the Renegade Legion Centurion grav tanks.

Litko could do that. I could draw that in a DXF file, which they could use to do a custom order just for your forces. The post would not be integrated, but a separate piece.

Their original business was laser cutting parts for R/C aircraft or custom retro-fit instrument panels for 1:1 scale aircraft.

PM me.

• Like 1

Ah darn.  Understandable, and accepted, but still, ah darn. 

I'll have to think about colors, but off the top of my head, the only ones I think I'd buy in colors other than black and transparent are the 25mm Round RPG bases.  I quite often color code minis by painting the outer edge of the base with a different color, this would make it a quick step when using them for Bones minis. 

• Like 4

If the molds are already made, why bother with Kickstarter, who will take a cut? A limited time only promotion, with value packs at Kickstarter prices, seems like a much better business decision, and an easier delivery method as you won't have to wait for the backer list to be provided, not the funds transferred.

You've got the emails from previous KSs, plus your own mailing list. I wouldn't figure that there are many people left out of those two groups.

I am backing a current semi-similar KS where they are offering quite a bit of reminted coins, and very few new. For them, they wouldn't be able to cover the costs to make another run of coins, so it makes a little sense there to crowd fund.

Just curious if the golden glow of a Kickstarter is blinding a better choice. Now, I can only assume this has been taken into account already, and I've missed something. Now, I'm not looking for any business info. It's just one of those things where I watch somebody do something and wonder why.

• Like 2

Litko could do that. I could draw that in a DXF file, which they could use to do a custom order just for your forces. The post would not be integrated, but a separate piece.

Their original business was laser cutting parts for R/C aircraft or custom retro-fit instrument panels for 1:1 scale aircraft.

PM me.

I've had Litko do me a quote for that, and some custom Full Thrust stands as well.  I also did a similar quote through Ponoko. For the quantities I'd like, they're not cost effective.  I'll continue to use the hover bases I've made on my own - but I thought I'd throw the idea out there in case it turned out there was a market for that size/shape (though I doubt it)

• Like 1

So what we'd really like to know is; Among all of the base options in the BaseBoss Pledge Manager, which ones would you most like to see in clear? And if we made colors available, we believe the logistics of offering Clear, Red, Blue, Yellow, Green, Purple and Black over ~40 SKUs would introduce over 250 new parts for us to have to store and track sales of individually - but which colors, exactly, in which sizes, exactly, would be worth it? Would a red 74035 be ok, but a red 74071 not be up your alley?

Whaddya say?

I am excited there is some possibility of this!

If I had to choose one color it would be clear.

If I could get a whole core set in clear it would be the New Round Bases.

If I could only choose one new clear base it would be 74048 -- Black Lipped No Slot Round 32mm Game.

Also, and this isn't a deal breaker, BUT the Chronoscope 74023 bases I am looking at right now don't have Made in USA or an SKU or any marking underneath.  Ideally totally clear would be best for me.

Thanks.

Edited by Carnacki the Ghost Finder
  • Like 2

74023_CLR.jpg

Whaddya say?

Two thoughts:

Clears

If I decide on clear, I want it crystal CLEAR without the obscuration of incised lettering. And I know there's no turning off the lettering (part of the mold and all).

The base in the picture would be nice to include with a clear figure that was going to serve as an invisible character marker. But, that is a really small niche.

Greens

If you guys could mix a green that was a near-perfect match to "gaming table top ubiquitous grass green" you might be onto something. Bases for AoSkirmish, WHFB, and Warmachine in that color would give a gamer the option of a base that would look pretty good on their usual club/store table without having to do much (or any) work to base their army. (Ork / Orc armies might be all over this as well.)

• Like 6

Thanks for clearing it all up, Bryan. I was confused on what was going to happen with this since it was a KS campaign.

As for colored bases I see no reason for me to buy any but I would love some clear bases and I could see my daughter loving them for making "flying characters" with some cotton on it for clouds.  We usually use just the plain bases for our minis and I would grab any in the square or round variety.

• Like 3