Jump to content

CAV starter sets?


Recommended Posts

Are we likely to see any boxed sets for CAV in the near future? If not, does it sound like an idea to work on?

 

I'm thinking, instead of buying seperate blisters, package a whole CAV, tank or infantry section together with some laminated datacards, booklets, transfers and various other goodies. Base the selection in the box on player's favourite compositions, or on a particular mercenary band with a backstory.

 

If the datacards sound like a good idea, perhaps a CAV-logo marker pen with which to write on them? You're always stuck for that sort of implement whenever you want to use something like that...

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Most people who know what they're doing, perhaps.

 

I don't; so I would find it quite useful. For beginners in general, there's a lot of anxiety about buying something that'll end up being useless; if the promotion for such a product is based around it being 'accessible' and 'versatile' then it might encourage newcomers into the game with a single easy purchase.

 

Plus it makes a good gift.

Link to post
Share on other sites

The starter set, as it stands, contains 2 Superiority CAVs (Rhino and Dictator), a Supression CAV (Specter) and a Recon CAV (Puma). It also includes the rulebook, initiative cards, dice, and a quick play guide so you and your friend who both bought the set can use your dictators to learn the rules. All for the Low, low price of $39.95 (which is less than what you'd pay just to buy the minis separately).

 

The only recommendation I have would be to put the minis in blisters inside the box -- the one I got had foam that didn't quite hold up and the parts were all mixed together. Now, I know which ones went together, but a total newbie might get frustrated by the jumble.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah but 90% of that is squads made up of 10 models with little variation. The other 10% is about 8% tanks which come 1 per box, and the last 2% is characters which come in blisters or with a retinue which you need anyway.

Link to post
Share on other sites

The boxes model might work for GW, but another modestly succesful mecha game (Heavy Gear) recently stopped offering its pre-packed squads in favor of more individually customizable blisters.

 

 

Just an observation.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Horses for courses.

 

If you want to customise your section, blisters are your choice.

 

If you're a beginner and you want a pre-built section with good unit choices, without faffing around choosing different blisters, boxed sets would be very useful.

 

I'd buy them, basically. That's what I'm basing this on.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not sure if they're out of existing stock yet or not, but it is their long-term plan to only offer things in blisters going forward.

 

Granted, you'll get lots of stuff for converting those Mambas inside the blister as well, so it should be easier to get variants done.

Link to post
Share on other sites

yeah, that was the first thing that caught my eye with the Caiman APCs, was woah, what the heck is all this. it was a sweet and pleasant surpise.

 

I really like the kits though, gave me an idea of force arrangement coming in the door. I agree with Sojourner, prepackaged kits are a good thing.

 

In Reapers case, I feel with 9 UCORs, thats 9 UCOR dependant starter kits and an indirect introduction to the CAV Galaxy. Could have tackled two roles in one shot for the same price.

 

 

Don't get me wrong, the current starter kit is nice, but it could have been so much more for an equal cost in effort.

 

Just my 2 cents anyway

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi, this is the second thread I have seen about the starter packs, but I can't find them online. Are they there or do I have to get one by phone? Neither of the FLGS in my area that carry Cav even know they are available. ::(:

 

Thanks.

 

 

Gunfighter

 

"One Shot, One Kill"

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey gunfighter, what's your area?

 

The FLGS in Harrisburg is keeping at least one on the shelves at all times. Probably more once we get our "Increasing Hostilities" league started.

 

The order code is 7902, if that helps.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...