knarthex

Packaging minis for Shipping...

So with the recent Sir Forscale painting up, people have been discussing how they shipped their minis to The Great Kaiju...

I thought that maybe a thread devoted to how we ship minis might be a god idea for reference....

I shipped 2 separate packages, in the first I packed my Bannerman in a small plastic box, similar to the boxes that Oathsworn uses, wrapped in a bit of bubble wrap. the box was then padded a bit with a bit more bubble wrap, and placed in a small USPS flat rate box, with suitable packing material around it.

(The Oathsworn boxes are used to hold business cards, but they look like the travelling soap dishes to me....)

The second one I shipped, I again wrapped him in a bit of Bubble wrap, and put this inside the cardboard ring left over from a roll of masking tape. The roll then had tape put over it to keep him inside, and then into the small flat rate box, with some packing material to keep it centered.

When I have sent exchange minis, I have used cut down card board tube from large rolls of brown craft paper to do the same thing for larger minis, and they can go in a medium flat rate box with packing material to keep them from moving around.

(I can usually ship stuff for free from work, so I tend to use the boxes, which are free at the US post offices.)

Also, I save any small box that minis are shipped to me in, for latter re-use....

So chime in with your methods, or quote what you did in the other thread, and maybe a mod will pin this...

George

• Like 5

Mine was repackaged similar to how you get them off the shelf - I put him back in the clear plastic tray* (the part folks like to keep as disposable paint trays), wrapped in a clean, soft face tissue, then taped the cardboard backing back on. A bit of scrap paper crumbled around the outside of that kept him snug in the small, flat rate USPS box.

Edit: * Blister pack! Cranky Dog had the right word! 

I have a lot of minis bought at retail that are already in their conveniently sized blister packs 

Edited by Morihalda
  • Like 3

I had a USPS box from a previous KS delivery that I re-used.

[The small upper right one]

VARIETY-FRBV-T0.jpg

I put each of my Forscales in Ziplock bags, with an piece of paper with ID and character background in each bag. Then I laid a layer of leftover packing peanuts, then the Forscales, and another layer of peanuts. Sealed the box with tape (everything felt snug), printed out Reaper Bryan's address, stuck it on the box, then post office.

I had the forethought of going over the bar codes on the box with a permanent marker since this was a new shipment, and not with USPS.

And according to Bryan, they arrived at destination. Though until I see them in future photos, I have no idea in what state they are, but being made of Bonesium, I have reason to believe they in prime condition.

Edited by Cranky Dog
  • Like 2

I used a dice box, a bit of blue tac to hold Sir *BONK!*Scale to the bottom, then reused some air-filled packing material to keep it from rattling around in a small USPS Priority Mail box.

• Like 3

For human-sized minis, particularly those that are un-assembled or without basing materials attached, I usually take a couple pieces of black blister foam and tape them together to form a shell around the mini, then wrap the whole thing in packing tape on all sides.

Alternately, I will sometimes pack the mini in foam inside a small disposable plastic snack container with a cover, like this...

2800a45364e15c40bd7d95bba79d71de.jpg

(You can find them at dollar stores for around 8 for a $1)

It then goes either in a padded envelope or the smallest size boxes that Reaper uses to ship their products (I always hold onto the boxes when things get shipped to me).

For more fragile minis, or things that have a lot of basing materials on them, I usually build a custom "inner" box just slightly larger than the piece itself out of corrugated cardboard and packing tape, then use blue poster tack to hold the piece to the bottom and tape or glue chunks of foam to the sides and top inside the box to help brace and steady it so that it won't move if the poster tack comes loose.

I'll then seal up the inner box with packing tape and place it in the shipping box with enough packing material to ensure that it it doesn't rattle when shaken.  Usually I just use crumpled newspaper to pack the outer box, since I don't need to worry about it touching the mini and I usually have a bunch in my recycling bin.

*It's very important to mark the box with arrows and "THIS SIDE UP" on both the inner and outer boxes*...

FYI, if your FLGS carries Reaper paints, chances are good that when they place an order for them they're going to come to the store packed in a thin 2-in. x 3-in. x 2-in. box inside the main box the order was in...

My FLGS gives those little boxes away free to anybody who asks for them.

They're great for packing minis that are slightly larger or have odd shapes (wings or pole-arms that stick out at angles, etc.) while still having enough space inside for sufficient foam to keep them well-padded...

Edited by Mad Jack
  • Like 4

It suddenly dawned on me that I have a lot of minis bought at retail that are already in their conveniently sized blister packs (unless multi-part assemblies are required).

I knew I kept them around for a reason.

• Like 5

When I have to transport them - my usual customer is local enough that I don't have to mail anything - I usually transport them in the hard plastic cases you get with your dice. A hunk of foam keeps the unsuspecting from rattling around, and it protects the metal minis nicely. When they don't fit in the case, I have to get inventive, and that is nearly always entertaining. ^^;

The last one I shipped - the only one I've shipped so far - went into a cardboard jewelry box, and then into a padded USPS Priority envelope I happened to have lying around. Someone used a bunch of them for packing material. I didn't ask, just squirreled 'em away for later. From the looks, he arrived safely. Had I been sending a metal mini, I might have taken stricter measures... those tend to a little more delicacy. :/

• Like 2

Bones bounce, so I just threw Garrick back in the box he came in and shipped him back to Bryan.  Maybe I threw in some bubble wrap.

I have seen some elaborate setups that GD level painters used to ship fragile dioramas in.  You build a wooden frame that can fit inside your shipping container to ensure that it is in no way crushed.  The base (a wooden plinth of various styles) is then affixed to the frame with a screw(s) to secure it and make sure that  doesn't move around.  Inserting padding between the mini and the frame is possible but risky since it could knock off some scenery and/or scratch the unsealed mini.  Better to pad the exterior somehow, like putting the frame in a box and then inserting that box into a bigger box w/ padding. 

I have never built a frame myself, but I have done the package within a package before.  I have had one failure shipping an exchange, and it was a large metal mini with wings.  Resin and 28mm metal single figures have all been fine.

• Like 5

It suddenly dawned on me that I have a lot of minis bought at retail that are already in their conveniently sized blister packs (unless multi-part assemblies are required).

Blister pack! That's the word I was searching for when I was writing my shipping post, haha.

• Like 3

Blister pack! That's the word I was searching for when I was writing my shipping post, haha.

I thought that might have been what you meant.

But then I was also picturing Tupperware in my mind, so I wasn't sure anymore.

• Like 3

I mentioned in the other thread that I used an Altoids breath mint tin for shipping my Forscale figures. The larger tins have enough room for 2-3 human sized figures. I simply padded the figures with a paper napkin, and put the tin in a padded shipping envelope. In fact, I'd think a lot candy and breath mint containers would work for this, as long as they're clean.

For larger Bones figures, I plan out how to effectively break them down for shipping (for instance, Cthulhu's wings were painted separately and left unattached, while the rest of him was assembled). The individual pieces were generously wrapped with bubble wrap and packed into a cardboard shipping box, padded just tightly enough that they wouldn't shift in transit.

Pointy bits on large figures, like spines, are a concern for me; I don't want them to get undue wear, so I usually cover them with a separate patch of bubble wrap and try not to have them press tightly into the packaging.

Edited by Grumpy Cave Bear
  • Like 2

hmm I might need to use that frame idea for my shipwreck maiden.. it terrifies me to ship that.. alternatively I wonder if I could just take it as a carry on and if they would treat it as a weapon LOL

• Like 1

hmm I might need to use that frame idea for my shipwreck maiden.. it terrifies me to ship that.. alternatively I wonder if I could just take it as a carry on and if they would treat it as a weapon LOL

When I went to Historicon, my 15mm army was in an army transport that I carried on the plane...

It was fun watching the x-ray guys face when it went through. ..

And that is how I plan to take my minis to Texas in October. ..

Edited by knarthex
  • Like 7

I sometimes sell painted minis..

I wrap them in bubblewrap and then tape that package to a piece of carton, that goes into a box with either padding or some fillings like foam and such.