So I currently DM a 5e D&D game. One of my favorite things to do is create my own magic items. The armory sets from Bones 3 seem to me to be perfect candidates to have accompanying RPG stats! To that end, I made up the following. Feel free to steal/tweak these if you like them!

Ashen Zweihander

Greatsword

This magic greatsword adds a +2 bonus to attack and damage rolls. Its hilt is fashioned to look like the skull of a ram. When drawn, flakes of ash fall from the blade. When you hit a creature with the ashen zweihander, you deal an extra 2d6 necrotic damage. If a creature hits you, you may use a reaction to cast hellish rebuke. This power recharges every day at dusk. If you kill a creature with the ashen zweihander, its body is reduced to ashes. The only means of bringing such a creature back to life is via either a true resurrection or a wish spell.

Axe of Death

Battleaxe

This magic weapon is shaped to appear as if the wings of the Angel of Death form the axe head. It adds a +3 bonus to attack and damage rolls made with it. Any creature you hit with the ace that isn't a construct, ooze, or an undead takes an additional 2d8 necrotic damage. In addition, if after you strike a creature it is reduced to 100 hit points or fewer, it must immediately make a DC 17 Constitution saving throw or die. A creature that succeeds this saving throw takes 7d8 necrotic damage.

Bonesplinter Reaver

Greataxe

The haft of this greataxe is fashioned from the bleached bone of a long-dead creature. This magic weapon grants you a +1 bonus to attack and damage rolls made with it. It scores a critical hit on a roll of 19 or 20. When you score a critical hit with the axe, the creature you hit must succeed a DC 14 Constitution saving throw or suffer a severed limb. Succeeding the saving throw results in no additional effect.

Crown of the Dust King

Wondrous Item

This crown was the possession of the King of Dust. It has absorbed some of that being’s power. While wearing this crown, you gain some of the properties of undeath. You do not require food or drink, do not need to breathe, and are immune to poison damage and the poisoned condition. You are able to command lesser undead by your sheer presence. As an action, you may attempt to assert your control over any ghouls, skeletons, or zombies within 30 feet of you that you can see. Make a Charisma check. The DC is equal to 10 + the creature’s challenge rating. If you succeed, the undead is under your direct control. You can issue commands as a bonus action on your turn. Any undead within 60 feet of you, whether under your control or not, has advantage on saving throws to resist the effects of being turned.

Dust King’s Aegis

Shield

This magic shield once belonged to the King of Dust. The shield grants you resistance to radiant damage while you bear it. In addition you have resistance to bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing damage from nonmagical weapons wielded by good-aligned creatures.

Graveyard Shield

Shield

This shield is marked by the power of death. You can force a creature adjacent to you to fail a death saving throw. This power recharges at midnight. In addition, while the shield is in your possession you cannot suffocate as a result of being buried. Finally, when you kill a creature that is within 5 feet of you, you gain 10 temporary hit points.

Hammer of Doom

Maul

The head of this magic weapon looks like it is fashioned from a rough slab of a tombstone. The fangs of some creature adorn one end. You gain a +2 bonus to attack and damage rolls made with this magic weapon. You may cast bane as an action. This power recharges at dawn.

Reaping Greataxe

Greataxe

This greataxe is cold to the touch, like a bone left out in winter. This magic weapon grants you resistance to cold and necrotic damage. As a bonus action, you can cause sickly green energy to wreathe the head of the axe, changing all damage it deals to necrotic damage. Another bonus action changes the damage back.

• Like 3

I like this.  I plan on using them for conversions, but this is a really cool idea.  This is a 5e game, but I can see this being converted to my modified pathfinder game (I use a few things from 3.5 and other systems too).  I hope you don't mind if I steal the idea for my games.

• Like 1

I like this.  I plan on using them for conversions, but this is a really cool idea.  This is a 5e game, but I can see this being converted to my modified pathfinder game (I use a few things from 3.5 and other systems too).  I hope you don't mind if I steal the idea for my games.

Oh, no! By all means, anyone feel free to steal these and make them your own however you see fit. That's why I shared them!

• Like 3

One thing to note about the Bonesplinter Reaver is that, in not one single edition of D&D, has there ever been any sort of mechanical penalty or disadvantage to losing a limb other than not being able to use a two-handed weapon...

One thing to note about the Bonesplinter Reaver is that, in not one single edition of D&D, has there ever been any sort of mechanical penalty or disadvantage to losing a limb other than not being able to use a two-handed weapon...

There isn't, but that's a bit up to DM discretion too. There's no hard, fast rule for it, no, but it wouldn't be difficult to ad hoc rules for it, particularly with how 5e encourages that more than the last two editions of D&D seemed to.

Plus who doesn't like the idea of messing up their enemies? It's far more likely an NPC would be on the receiving end of it than a PC would, save maybe for the boss they must wrest it from.