Super Kingdom Death Explore!

odinsgrandson

Thanks.

I love painting chibi minis, and for different reasons than I love painting other minis.  The boom we've just seen in the industry has not only given us a wider selection of minis to paint, but also a much wider selection of styles.

Even among chibi minis, there's a wide range of styles, from Arcadia Quest, Smog Riders, Impact!, Sodapop and even Reaper's Bonesilvanians.  Each line has a very distinct style to it.

• Like 5

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, on the chibis, I tend to go full black or at least super dark to give them the cartoony effect that people warn you against when they tell you to never line in black.  I think it suits the more cartoony minis, you know?

I might go back on that habit sometime.

Mouth combined with the creepy goat pupils make this very uncomfortable to look at.  Well done.

Wow, I don't know that I could get a higher complement.

• Like 4

For Thanksgiving, we finished off our Kingdom Death Monster campaign with an epic battle against the Watcher.

It was pretty glorious.  We played with all the Chibi conversions of KDM minis I've made, and the survivors were all heroes from Super Dungeon Explore.  Princess Ruby was pretty awesome with her bone darts and monster tooth necklace.

Now that I've admitted to finishing off more Kingdom Death Chibis than I've shown off, I figure I'd better get to posting them.  Here's the Butcher:

ChibiButcher.JPG?i=1629523509

Chibi-Butcher2.JPG?i=1988198909

15220213_1338566259500932_74425159659909

15241189_1338566256167599_43492340554934

And if you don't know what Kingdom Death: Monster is, you should probably have a look at the outstanding Kickstarter that they're running right now.  The fact that it got to 3.5 million overnight is not overstating the quality of the game- it is fantastic on pretty much every level- brilliant minis, fantastic rules set, terrific art, crazy loads of fun.

• Like 20

I LOVE LOVE LOVE CHIBIS!!! This is fantastic, i actually have a LOAD of Super Dungeon Explore, a very lovely friend bought me two of the expansions (just the expansions) for my birthday, i have Beatrix and her carriage and the trolls from Mist Mountain Coast? I Also have all of the Reaper Chibis as well, and now i just want to paint them!!! 

Your work is stunning sir, you have some of the most beautiful work i have ever seen :D <3  :blush:

• Like 1

Gruesomely awesome and cute at the same time.. I didn't think that was even possible :)

Contradictory juxtaposition is the highest ideal that chibi minis strive toward.  Not all of them make it.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE CHIBIS!!! This is fantastic, i actually have a LOAD of Super Dungeon Explore, a very lovely friend bought me two of the expansions (just the expansions) for my birthday, i have Beatrix and her carriage and the trolls from Mist Mountain Coast? I Also have all of the Reaper Chibis as well, and now i just want to paint them!!! 

Your work is stunning sir, you have some of the most beautiful work i have ever seen :D <3  :blush:

Hurrah- I've inspired someone!  Go forth and paint all the chibis,  my friend.

• Like 1

Chibi faces on the bases!

This is a game whose aesthetics I find interesting but very dark.

You've translated it into something extraordinary.

I find it very interesting how unspeakably grotesque things can become much more bearable and understandable when presented in a different, more abstracted art style than a "realistic" one.

I was first made powerfully aware of this by the web comic "Order of the Stick", whose brightly colored stick figures evolved from gag-a-day comics to ongoing campaign plotlines with strong characterization and plenty of humor. Because of its abstract visual nature the comic can show onscreen atrocities like characters cut in two, mass death and decay of innocents, and the torture of children, having all the power of the terrible events occurring without (at least for me) the traumatic visual gag reflex.

• Like 1