• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Pingo
      Well, I've gone and done it. I got a YouTube channel and have started making a series of videos on matters of paint and painting.

Okay, I say "series of videos" all grandly, but at the moment it's one video and a planned syllabus. But I have more planned!

This is pretty much my first video ever. I was helped a great deal by my family members who have more experience in this.

The first video is a paint comparison, looking at one of the new Liquitex Acrylic Gouache paints (Quinacridone Magenta, PR122) and considering its suitability for miniatures painting.

Enjoy!
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwonRqv0Xgk

• By Pippin
      Awesome news!  I recently had an idea that using miniatures and terrain pieces in the classroom setting would be way more effective than the simple PowerPoint projections of maps that I've used multiple times (I teach world history).  However, to make it more useful, I decided that having everything magnetically-based would be better as it can be a vertical or horizontal learning tool.
      Well, my district (Colorado Springs district 11) recently sent around a notification that they had grant money available, so I pitched my idea as "Tactile Tactics."  This morning, I was informed that they've accepted my grant request!
      I'll be using cookie sheets with maps magnetically held in place and minis with magnets in their bases. 
      I'll be able to have my kiddos place the Axis and Allied forces in the correct countries.  We'll be able to see in 3D what the phalanx formation looks like.  We'll be able to see how the mountains of Greece made each polis unique.  It's going to be AWESOME!  As I continue working on pieces for it, I'll be posting images here.  I've already ordered the Persian infantrymen from Wargames Factory on the bay!
      I'm also thinking I may have some of my more artistically-inclined students join in on helping to paint some of the pieces for it.
      If anyone's already got some experience with minis and magnets or how to effectively use minis in a vertical format, feel free to share your wisdom  :=)
    • By Pingo
      My youngest boy is interested in playing the keyboard.

In school up til now he's played the saxophone, which he wasn't bad at but his heart was never in it.

We told him if he demonstrated actual application we'd let him take piano lessons next year in school (He has his own electronic keyboard, but never did much with it until now).

On his own initiative, he dug out my old copy of "Too Many Songs by Tom Lehrer" and has done quite a good job figuring out the first few bars of "The Irish Ballad" (until a too-wide spread stymied his not-quite-adolescent hands), particularly since he's never played more than one note at a time before now.

I would like to gently encourage this without being too overbearing. Do the musicians on the board here have any suggestions?

Is a book of music a good idea? All I can think of is Bach's "Well Tempered Clavier."

If it helps, his elder siblings are quite accomplished with classical guitar and flute and they all get along well.
  • Who's Online   15 Members, 2 Anonymous, 95 Guests (See full list)