G8rB8

Sets or packs with lots of figures?

Hi all, 

Reposting this because I got some weird message about not having permission to post, and a key or some such (and having to type this all again is annoying!). So let me see if I can remember what I wrote:

My friends and I just started playing D&D and the majority of the group have never played before (wives mostly). We're having a blast thus far and I decided that I'd like to get some miniatures to help our newbies visualize things a bit better. With that in mind I set out to find miniatures and was pleasantly surprised to find Reaper Minis and the Bones line. I've been looking for assorted packs as I was a good selection of various heroes and critters, to which I can supplement with individual things as necessary.  

Unfortunately the only packs I can seem to find are related to past kickstarters, and I apparently cannot order these packs now. Does anyone have any leads or advice on how to get a set or pack? I'm hoping to find something between 20 and 100 pieces and I dont really have the time to crawl through and pick 100 individual items from the store and would hope to find the typical discounts for ordering larger numbers (which is why i REALLY hate that there is no current kickstarter). New parent, travel for work, blah blah =)

Any help pointing me in the right direction would be much appreciated. 

Thanks

-G8r

You can find bones in lots on places like ebay. Bones KS1 had the vampire level which had all or the core pledge and stretch goals. Also DND prepainted and pathfinder prepainted minis can be bought in lots.

• Like 3

Welcome to the Forum!!

As far as "packs" go, if you want to buy Reaper Bones in bulk you'll have to do so on the secondhand market (i.e. eBay, Facebook groups, etc). Reaper doesn't allow us to post direct links to non-Reaper commerce sites on their forum, so we all abide by this rule around here, that includes no talk of trading, buying, or selling on the forum itself.

Anyhow, I'd just suggest using a bit of Google-fu and looking around for 3rd party sellers or checking out a FLGS (Friendly Local Game Store) to see if they got any at retail sales bins or whatnot.

Thanks guys. Unfortunately our local FLGS (haha new term to me),  carries literally no figures. We've been to all 4 comic stores in our city and none carry any minis or D&D stuff at all. =(

I'll look around more on ebay and such I suppose (I dont trust it and have never bought from resellers before so I need to change my mindset ;) ) . I came here because a quick search there turned up that I'd be spending the same amount per unit to buy the packs (at a horrible markup) as i would to order them all individually from Reaper and as an MBA who literally does price modeling/business improvement consulting as a career, it absolutely pains me when companies leave that much profit on the table (if I bought all from a third party) and I can never help but to try to spend the money directly!

Old habits and such!

Thanks again for the tips

-G8r

• Like 1

Reaper does sell a few sets in their store. 

I'll repeat what others have said, buying lots on ebay can often be a good deal, whether it is Bones, DDM, or other makers.  You may not always get exactly what you want, but you get a variety at a value price. 

• Like 1

I'm hoping to find something between 20 and 100 pieces and I dont really have the time to crawl through and pick 100 individual items from the store and would hope to find the typical discounts for ordering larger numbers (which is why i REALLY hate that there is no current kickstarter). New parent, travel for work, blah blah =)

Welcome to the forums.

We do not offer any discounts for bulk orders/large orders on our website or in our retail store. We charge MSRP to allow retailers who stock our product the opportunity to make a profit also, and to compete directly with us by offering discounts if they so choose. 

We do not routinely offer the bulk items except through kickstarter, as limited availability offerings. After the kickstarter, we offer the product funded that way substantially cheaper than we could have offered it without pre-funding it, but we do not offer the same items in the same format, for the most part.

There tend to be large numbers of people offloading surplus Bones models which they received in their Kickstarter rewards within a month or two of fulfillment, so your timing may be better if you check eBay and such 1-2 months after we conclude shipping for Bones 3.

Some of the Bones retail items do include a few minis in one package.  Examples include basic goblins and kobolds, which are a great deal at 6 for $4.  The animal companions and familiar sets are also handy.  But if you're just getting started it might be easier to just get a few miniatures to represent the players and use tokens or something for the monsters.  (It doesn't take much to cut out some 1" cardstock squares and write the name of the monster on them, or write numbers on poker chips, etc. 

Welcome, and have fun!  ^_^

• Like 1

You could also ask around to see if there is a miniature painting group in your area. Some of us who have been it the hobby for a long time have accumulated a large surplus of figures that we will probably never get around to painting. Also as much as I enjoy painting miniatures, I really have no use for them once they are painted so I often give them to someone who can use them in a game

• Like 1

Thanks guys. Unfortunately our local FLGS (haha new term to me),  carries literally no figures. We've been to all 4 comic stores in our city and none carry any minis or D&D stuff at all. =(

Just to be completely clear, I cannot think of a time I have seen figures in a comics store. Ever.

The better terms to search for would be hobby or gaming. And, if you give us the city, I'm sure we could double check on where you might should be going.

• Like 1

Just to be completely clear, I cannot think of a time I have seen figures in a comics store. Ever.

I have. Once.

Games Workshop. :P

Technically one can get multi-packs from GW, but they tend to need tremendous amounts of assembly and are very pricey.

• Like 1

The better terms to search for would be hobby or gaming. And, if you give us the city, I'm sure we could double check on where you might should be going.

The game shops have mostly died out in my huge metropolis. Until my local shop opened up moved from 1 hour away to a 20 minute walk away, I pretty much went to comic shops, because they also carried game stuff and miniatures/paints in small quantities. It's why I started direct purchasing for Reaper for a while - it made the most sense.

I'm not sure if the recently completed co-production kickstarter with secret weapon still allows for joining at the pledge manager only- but there's a few smaller monster packs available that way. Mind you, you could more easily order directly from the reaper store and get stuff now, instead of in a year. but if you want scenery to go with, you might want to look into that, because it might still be cheaper than retail that way.

Edited by lexomatic

Thanks guys. Unfortunately our local FLGS (haha new term to me), carries literally no figures. We've been to all 4 comic stores in our city and none carry any minis or D&D stuff at all. =(

Dragon's Lair and Austin Comics and Fantasy in Austin, Texas both carried comics and gaming and anime ever since I started going to their stores in the early 80s. Bulk of my mini, rpg, and comic collection came from those stores.

Dlair is now a good 1/2 and 1/2 comics/gaming. When they started out it was more comics.

Austin Comics generally carried more comics in the Riverside store, but the main store at 51st and Lamar (still there) carried 1/2 and 1/2.

Lone Star Comics is where I got my minis back in the day.  Does that date me a bit?

It's only three years since they folded for good. :(

Many hearts were broken when the Gamer's Paradise chain folded in 2008.