Sign in to follow this  
Shogun

WIP gaming table

I'm making my own gaming table

Here is the rough design: 6ft X 4ft.

post-8141-0-22580800-1472412091_thumb.png

In the car park next door to work I saw and purchased 3x hemlock slabs (8ft by 2 ft, 1 1/2' thick) at $40 CAD each & 1 cracked 1 at $15. Enough wood to build the lid.

post-8141-0-09405500-1472412027_thumb.jpeg

I had access to a full work shop so we started cutting!

post-8141-0-72424600-1472412442_thumb.jpg

Using the track saw, table saw, thickness plainer & joiner we cut 7 boards 7 1/8' wide and just over 6ft long, 2 of them having live edges.

post-8141-0-32314400-1472412634_thumb.jpg

Some of the wood had a little rot so we sanded that out and plan to fill with epoxy. The wood being a little wet still I decided to throw it in the kiln and dry it out to lighten the lid up. I then bought 2 slabs 8ft by 2ft 3' thick at $50 CAD but one snapped in half vertically! Making it around 10' wide and I grabbed the 2 halves for a discounted $15 each. Little does he know that's perfect as I only need them 8' for the sides of the gaming table face.

I will edit and update when I'm on a laptop, feel free to ask me any questions.

Update:

New design after we cut the wood. I also purchased the legs (fur). The base of the table will be one sided finished ply (nice side on bottom) and I will either do a red, green, grey or purple felt on the play area. Any suggestions?

post-8141-0-71177000-1472415221_thumb.jpeg

post-8141-0-90452400-1472415494_thumb.jpeg

Edited by Shogun
  • Like 19

Thanks, I plan to be running my weekly DND 5e group who are all heavy role players also monthly poker and spontaneous Catan/cards games.

I got inspired when I saw this:

post-8141-0-86718500-1472424759.png

And will be running maps and tiles:

post-8141-0-45323600-1472424816_thumb.jpeg

post-8141-0-07104400-1472424917_thumb.jpeg

Edited by Shogun
  • Like 12

My understanding is don't go cheap on the felt as it tends to pill up with use. I used craft foam for the interior of my table, but it also has a television in it, so mini gaming is done on the top surface.

• Like 4

Good to know, any recommendations on brand / where to buy? Would you mind sharing a photo of your table? A tv was on the cards but in the end decided against it for a few different reasons , (main one being the wife said no )

• Like 4

Hi Shogun!

My buddy and I finished building my gaming table earlier this year, we've been using it for a few months now. We went with a 6'x6' table, with a 4'x4' vault in the center. There are some quality of life options that we included that I whole heartedly recommend.

1- Cup holders. Amazon sells plastic recessed cup holders for about $2 each. A quick measurement, a proper sized hole saw, and just drop them in place. Get the 3 1/2". not the 2 7/8" or you'll have problems fitting anything other than a can or 12oz bottle. Sorry, first post here, I don't know if posting Amazon links is frowned upon.

2- Receptacles. This will take a little more work, but is well worth it for phone chargers, laptops, etc. We put one on each side, daisy chained using romex cable. Then we cut off the female end from an extension cord, and wired that up inside the box of the first receptacle. Now, plugging in that extension cord will power up all of the receptacles, and the cord can be stored under the table when not in use.

We have a TV in our vault, and used laminate to cover the wood surrounding the TV. I wish we had gone with something other than the laminate personally. Foam rubber mats would have been nice. Dice tend to slide on laminate more than I'd like, instead of rolling, and I think something with a little more friction would help there.

The other regret I have on mine is the weight. We built mine so it's nice and sturdy. But, we didn't think far enough ahead. Our legs are very securely attached to the top of the table. If you can work out a way to have them easily attach/detach, that'll save you some trouble if it ever needs to be moved to another room / house.

Can't wait to see how your project turns out!

• Like 9

I'll also be building one based off the one that Anvil linked the video/pics above on. I'll be doing it after our house is built.

Looking forward to seeing yours get done!

1- Cup holders. Amazon sells plastic recessed cup holders for about $2 each. A quick measurement, a proper sized hole saw, and just drop them in place. Get the 3 1/2". not the 2 7/8" or you'll have problems fitting anything other than a can or 12oz bottle. Sorry, first post here, I don't know if posting Amazon links is frowned upon.

To answer the bolded part: They're not allowed. The board rules are available at the bottom right corner of any page on the forums from the desktop view; not sure how to find them if you're looking on the mobile version of the site. (Don't worry, lots of us miss the rules page at first, even when we're on the desktop site. ::): I'm just pointing you to where they are so you can look at the rest of the rules if you're curious. )

Also: Welcome to the forums! ::D: Feel free to ask any questions you may have, people here are pretty ridiculously friendly. ::):  And thanks for sharing that info! I hadn't thought of setting up receptacles in the table... I'm going to steal that idea if/when I get around to building my own table. ::): 

@Shogun: Those seem like some gorgeous boards! :blink::wub:  Looking forward to seeing how this project continues. ::D: 

Oh, and in case you want another set of ideas... The Wood Whisperer (can't link because he's got a store on his site :down: ) did a really nice gaming table as a Guild project within the last year. He's got a promo video on his site so you can see how it turned out and see a little subset of the build process... If you have the money free, I always recommend his Guild projects - they're worth the money. They are pricey though! Anyway. Just a thought I wanted to share in case it was useful.

• Like 3

Anvil - that's the exact video we used for our inspiration! Small world :)

http://imgur.com/a/SzRxo

It was a LOT more work (and $) than the video led us to believe, and we actually have some steps to complete before it's really finished --- there is no cover, and the storage shelf underneath isn't there either. We did add some cubby hole storage, but doing so made us sacrifice half of the dice trays... just not enough room.

Canuckotter - Thanks! Glad I found you guys

• Like 4

You are a much better carpenter than I, very nice.

My buddy is good at woodcrafting. I, on the other hand, am a complete rookie - literally. I learned how to use a sander, stains, a nailgun... all kinds of fun things on this project! The ONLY thing I can take credit for here is the electrical ;)

• Like 4