Sign in to follow this  
fanguad

Lamps for Travel

There are some older threads about this, but I thought I'd revisit the topic.  What are good lamps for traveling?  Let's assume that I have access to an electrical outlet, but it's competing for room in my luggage space, so the "folded up" size and weight should be small.  If it uses USB for power, that's a bonus since USB battery packs are easy to find.

For reference, I have the OttLite 290089 lamp, whose main flaw is that the working area is provides is very, very small.

Does anyone know what kind of lamps they set up for the artists at ReaperCon last year, and if those pack up fairly small?

• Like 1

New venue so I wouldn't be able to comment on wall sockets for personal lamps or a lamp set up at Rcon. I believe artists had lamps, classes were well lit, but that was all. There were plenty of power outlets under tables though for personal light use. I bring a tiny 5 inch ottlight that I prop up to paint with. Runs on batteries. I've a large foldable one I could bring that can be plugged in or run on batteries but I hate flying with it. One wrong baggage handler and its a 60$ desk ornament.

My little 5inch ottlight is bright as heck and fits in my purse. On top of the natural light the venue had before, it was fine to use. I'm not sure about the new place though. It seems like there are

Industrial lights in the ceiling from the images of the place online that I've seen. So I'm expecting clean white light and probably won't need my big ottlight.

Edited by MissMelons
  • Like 1

I've seen at a discount grocery store some hand lamps that are LEDs but they have a nice solid base to them. They are battery operated & I do believe the head tilts to to either bring the light down or straight depending on how you would would hold it. They are about the size of a good size flashlight.

I believe that the ReaperCon lamps were these ones from TaoTronics (found on Amazon "TaoTronics Dimmable Rotatable LED Desk Lamp)).  Anker and Aukey (and many others) make similar lamps.

I picked up this lamp from Premer (Premer PM-L615-G found on Amazon) in February to take to Hobby Night at a local store.  I've been happy with the lamp though I don't know how long the lamp lasts on a full charge:  I can't stay more than an hour and a half.

Ron

Edited by vutpakdi
  • Like 2

The lamps the artists use at ReaperCon are pretty popular, several people have purchased that style for their own use after trying them. They have a variety of lighting settings, and a USB plug which is handy for charging items while painting. To take them down and put back in the box does involve unscrewing the base, not just folding. It's not a pain, just might not be as convenient as what you're looking for. (I don't like them quite as much as most of the artists - the controls are touch sensitive and I am constantly touching the control area with my arm and changing settings inadvertently, but I am pretty specific about where I place my lamp while I paint.)

I have this for a travel lamp for use when I know I'll have access to a plug and luggage space/weight isn't too big a concern. It folds up quite compactly and provides a good amount of light. If you're in the US, you should be able to sign up to Joann's or Michael's email lists and get a coupon for 40-60% off to possibly buy one of these cheaper. (Joann's regularly has Ott light sales, pretty sure I got mine at one.)

[Mod Edit:  Removed commercial link.]

Edited by Froggy the Great

If you're in the US, you should be able to sign up to Joann's or Michael's email lists and get a coupon for 40-60% off to possibly buy one of these cheaper. (Joann's regularly has Ott light sales, pretty sure I got mine at one.)

There is code for that already ::):

It's above the product.

[Mod Edit:  Removed commercial link.]

Edited by Froggy the Great

Not a lamp, but I had one of these arrive recently and am really impressed by it.

[link removed, oops]

Edited by MrNutt

Not a lamp, but I had one of these arrive recently and am really impressed by it.

pssst

commerce links are a no no....

pssst

commerce links are a no no....

Not sure precisely what you mean by commerce links? Is it any link to something available on an online store?

What I linked to was a really cheap (<$8) magnifying headset with an integrated LED light. It feels a bit cheap (the lenses are friction-fit) but I think I am going to use it a lot more than my battery-powered lamp.

Any link to any site engaged in Comercial sales counts...

See the forum rules at the very bottom of each page.

Telling people is great, pics are better, but the rules say no links...

Take a look at the Dept of aquisition thread to see the things we do to tell people about things, but stay within the rules.

Edited by knarthex
  • Like 1

Take a look at the Dept of aquisition thread to see the things we do to tell people about things, but stay within the rules.

Okay no problem, I still cannot find such a rule (the one I do find seems to refer to if it was me that was selling the stuff). Here's a picture anyway:

post-14727-0-07844100-1472671163.jpg

This whole thread should be in trouble then. :)