77256: Brass Bull...en?

revloc8

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If I understand the Old English well enough (P>0, but definitely not anything approaching P=1  ^_^ ), bull derives from OE bula, which would pluralize as bulan assuming it's a weak noun, otherwise as bulas. If the former, then it's mostly a transliteration difference from bullen.

(Since you asked and all.  :poke: )

• Like 3

As Doug mentioned, ox is pluralized as oxen because it comes from the Old English oxa (pluralized oxan) and the Proto-Germanic ukhson...

In general, how the English language pluralizes a noun is usually based on which language we originally stole it from...

• Like 1

In an open space, an argument for either bullen (a more archaic form) or bulls (typical English/American form of modern Latin-derived nouns).

However, in an enclosed space, and depending on the season, with more than one bull, the plural form tends to revert to the singular form as soon as one bull sees the other unless there are hands nearby.

• Like 1

Interesting responses on the bullen thing...if you haven't seen Brian Reagan's comedy act about boxen, you should check it out.

As for paints, I have a variety. Typically, I use MSPs for the "real" painting, but use 20 year old GW pots and Apple Barrel for base coating and/or priming (or Brown Liner for things I fancy, like the demon Minotaur I'm finishing up). I also have about 10 of the old GW washes which are just named colors like Green, Yellow, etc. I don't like any of them except brown by itself, but they make great mixes as you see here.

So the silver bull is based coated in Burnt Umber from Apple Barrel, followed by Honed Steel, and washed with a mix of Green and Purple GW wash, which interestingly mixes into a kind of grayish, bluish steel wash. The pic here doesn't do it justice.

The brass bull is based in Burnt Umber, followed by Copper from FolkArt and washed with the same. I really like the metallics from FolkArt. I've got a variety and I'm always very happy with the results.