Sign in to follow this  
Corporea

Portrait of a Young Tiefling Bust, DS minis

Beeeautiful work, Corporea! Love it! Inspirational (and I'm totally stealing a lot of that when I get to this one...).

I hear you on directional lighting. It seems a lot of my focus lately has been on improving my lighting game, how to light things that aren't lit or fake in things that are easy in 2d. I think you did pretty well with teh back, though you could've put in just a wee bit more variation on the back's flesh tones. The main thing holding it back I think is that the other materials aren't as dramatically lit as the skin tones (most noticeably the sleeves).

Picking nits, of course. I always feel weird critiquing really nice art :)

• Like 5

I'm reading this as a young maiden trying to fit in who applies foundation/powder to blend in with humans as much as possible, but can't reach her back. So the back of the shoulders are her "real" skin tone.

Excellent work from horn to base, and all the bits between!

• Like 3

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By 72moonglum
      Hi Reapertronics!

So these are two I've been working on for the last week or so, two really small Tom Meier sculpts from Dark Sword Miniatures, ones from another post on the forum where I was complaining about eyes. Two really fun figures I think, excellently sculpted by Meier. Here's the first one:

and a few shots of her face up close.  The eyes aren't perfect, but they turned out better than the first try before my repaint:

and then here's the male halfling thief. He's nice and basic, with a classic old school feel. He almost gives a Bilbo Baggins type of feel to this is you ask me:

and then here they are together:

and to give you an idea of their size, I put them next to a few recent reaper models, a few of my favorites, the female hobgoblin archer (metal version with nose) and the other one is one of the dark gnome gals:

So anyhoos, lots of photos, hope you enjoy!

• By 72moonglum
      So I'm working on a really small figure a newish Tom Meier Halfling Druid from DarkSword Miniatures.

I painted the eyes and was kind of satisfied with them but one seems to be bigger than the other, which means I think I painted the black first outside of the target eye that was sculpted. One eye is okay the other one it too big:

so when we get really close to the figure I can see how uneven she is, but she is really, really small:

So my first general question is, would this be enough to frustrate somebody to repaint?  

So with this in mind, the "good" news is I just went from a nice pair of magnifying nerd goggles that go up to around 2.5 to some other ones that I have sitting around that are 3.5 x magnification.  So I almost feel I have a good enough view of the eyes to edit it a little bit.  I'm just wondering if it's all worth it?  Any suggestions?

• By Rahz
      Finished up another 3d printed bust.  I have really been enjoying the different scale and different subject matter (I don't think I've ever painted an orc before). 

Not 100% happy with the hair, but the strands are not as thin as I would have liked.  Picture is a little washed out but I have having issues of not enough light or too much.  And yes his left eye is milky on purpose and the whole reason I painted this piece. 

Thanks for looking. 

EDIT: and of course, now looking at the picture on my computer screen I can see that the wound on his face goes through his bottom lip too, and I missed it..    At well... 

• By Dan S
      Apologies that this one isn't Reaper, but I am super stoked with how it turned out and really wanted to share.

I recently started experimenting with glazing, an old and popular technique I have been aware of for years but had never really given much thought to or attempted.  It was like unlocking an ancient magic, I cant believe the difference such a subtle technique has made to my miniatures.  After achieving some promising results on a batch of halflings I recently painted, I decided to experiment some more on a slightly larger model, a 3D printed bust I'd picked up on Ebay (I believe it is by a company called Tytantroll Miniatures).  

Anyway I just wanted to share.  Glazing has been a revelation to me, and it just goes to show that it sometimes pays to step away from your comfort zone and try new things.

• By 72moonglum
      Hello everybody!

Here's a figure I just finished a few nights back and got her based.  She's a old, classic Ral Partha figure, Adventuress 01-018, so in that long list of Partha figures in "Personalities and Things that go Bump in the Night" range, number 18.  I'm not sure if this is true or not, but I read out there on the Lost Mini Wiki that this was the first female adventuring type of miniature that was cast.  This is in all honesty the second version of the sculpt, don't have the first one. On the bottom, she had 1976 stamped on its base so it's a nice old figure.  

I tried not to paint her in too bright of colors, kind of wanted her to be able to wander around with kind of calm colors.  Anyways, hope you enjoy this "historic" little mini, she was a joy to paint!

• Who's Online   6 Members, 1 Anonymous, 41 Guests (See full list)