TGP

Getting To Know Each Other --- September 2016

September 2016

The Frequently Ignored "Rules"

1. Every day, or so (unless I am out or ill or something) I will post a question.

2. In theory there is a 24 hour span to answer that question before the next question is posted.

2.5. (Rule 2 is the most frequently ignored rule.)

3. Questions are going to be posted between 12:01AM and 5AM GMT.

4. Everyone is encouraged to submit questions to be posted by me via PM.

5. You do not have to answer every question...

6. If a question is TMI or N/A simply wait for the next question or post that you decline to answer (why would be nice).

7. Questions usually run 2, perhaps 3 days on weekends.

A link to a prior question thread for reference: http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/60842-getting-to-know-each-other-april-2015/#entry1107674

Edited by TGP
  • Like 3

Question for Sept...

1st: What monster encounter in an RPG* is your most regrettable? (Either as GM or player, and substitute video games, or media if you do not RPG.)

• Like 4

1st: What monster encounter in an RPG* is your most regrettable? (Either as GM or player, and substitute video games, or media if you do not RPG.)

I once played a game on a Sega, I can't remember the name alas...

But the thing was, it was set in a fantasy world, but it was all about traps and encounters, if you made the right decision you went to the next one, if you failed, you had to start all over again.

First encounter, I was in a jail next to a dying Goblin. He asked for water.

I only had one bottle, so I said no, he was dying anyway...

I got out of the jail.

Next encounter.

A Goblin village, their leader turned out to be the Goblin from the jail.

He wasn't dying, but testing me.

SO failing to give him water resulted in death.

And so on and so on, I think I managed three or for levels and then quit.

Starting over every time without a save modus was terrible.

• Like 3

Very first AD&D character in first encounter, in very first game ever, (1977) Village of Hommlet, is attacked by a giant spidet, gets bitten, fails save vs poison, and dies....

NOT an auspicious start to my RPG gaming hobbies...

Edited by knarthex
  • Like 11

As a GM in high school, I developed the start for a campaign for Rolemaster (the game of tables). I fleshed out the area fairly well, including areas with creatures that were way too powerful for the PC; that way if "felt" real and the world just didn't happen to scale with the PC's levels. As I was giving everyone the backstory, I got to the part where there was a mountain that was inhabited by a powerful dragon. Of course, my buddy Kurt gets it into his head that he wants to go and kill it. Not later after he has leveled up, but now as a first level character.

Unable to dissuade him of this idea, I let him journey off to the mountain, alone. He climbs the slopes and the dragon comes swooping out of the sky to bite his fool head off. He has no chance. I roll to hit. Well, elf, critical failure. Consult table. Roll again. Crit fail. Ad nausum. Eventually it is determined that the dragon plowed into the mountain side and broke it's neck. I now have a level one dragon slayer. Karma came back and saved me though. The character failed a climb roll coming back down the mountain and died. So at least I have that.

• Like 14

Mine's an embarrassing story.  So, I was a level 1 wizard (read: squishy), and my buddy was a level 1 bard (read: also squishy), and we went out to try and gather some food from the surrounding jungle, after a shipwreck dumped us on a jungle island...a jungle island populated by various nefarious terrors, but we didn't know that, then.  So we went into the forest, looking for food, and we were attacked by a vicious, terrible, awful, horrendous jungle goat.  That single goat killed us both, dead.

GM actually did some hand waving and said that our compatriots got to us in time to stuff healing potions down our throats, but damn, we should've been dead in the jungle at the hooves of a jungle goat.

• Like 10

Ultima Online

Starting out & went to attack a goat or some other mundane critter.....kicked my behind like there was no tomorrow.

• Like 5

Not a monster, but a puzzle in the first encounter I ever ran. The party had no idea how to solve it and I was miserable at hinting at it.

I have come a long way since then...

• Like 8

Question for Sept...

as a player: jackelwomen. I have no idea how they managed to drug and then rape an 8 foot tall lizard man, or why, but they did. I swear the anatomy for that doesn't even make sense, damn Rick.

as a GM: HANK M GRIT icosahedron cowboy! I was running eclipse phase for the first time at a local con, with a table of folks who had never played before. I kind of scared them a bit too much with my description of the reaper morph (an angry d20 with guns and a cowboy hat) so they refused to go anywhere near the combat encounter I had planned. It turned into hank trying to track the party through an abandoned space station, and the party constantly trying to flee from him. I started just dumping insanely over powered equipment in front of them so they would take him on, but they kept running. Plasma warhead missile launcher, nope, spare body, nope, deactivated security drones, nope, hyper dense power armor, nope. Just kept running all the way back to the space ship. The only thing they bit for was scuttling the entire station.

• Like 6

When I was 12, my buddy introduced me to AD&D (1981-82).  I rolled up a 1st level ranger as my first character and prepared to enter the dungeon alone.  I walked 20 feet, looked around a corner, and died as I turned to stone by a basilisk.  Turns out, he was trying to run me through the Vault of the Drow module.  In hindsight, it is amazing I stuck with it and played again.

• Like 8

I know I have plenty of my own regrettable encounters, but honestly I thought of my husband's first. :lol:

We were playing WoW several years ago on our shiny new mounts, happily prancing about the high hills in the Barrens. My love saw something of interest and went to pounce down the mountainside. He confidently launched off the mountain.

And missed the next little peak he was aiming for.

I have a very clear memory of a skeletal horse and undead rider suspended in the air for just a brief moment in time....

It was a long walk back then....

Ground: 1

Husband: 0

• Like 7

Mine's an embarrassing story. So, I was a level 1 wizard (read: squishy), and my buddy was a level 1 bard (read: also squishy), and we went out to try and gather some food from the surrounding jungle, after a shipwreck dumped us on a jungle island...a jungle island populated by various nefarious terrors, but we didn't know that, then. So we went into the forest, looking for food, and we were attacked by a vicious, terrible, awful, horrendous jungle goat. That single goat killed us both, dead.

GM actually did some hand waving and said that our compatriots got to us in time to stuff healing potions down our throats, but damn, we should've been dead in the jungle at the hooves of a jungle goat.

For a friend...

He was playing a Mage (AD&D) for the first (and last) time at 1st level, he had 4 hp, and woke up my fighter character that was being plagued by nightmares...

He shook me to wake me for an encounter, dm had me roll a save that I promptly fumbled, said that I would swing at the person waking me, rolled a 20, max damage, plus str bonus...

Killed the poor MU outright....

That was 20+ years ago, and he still won't play a mage...

• Like 10

Mine's an embarrassing story. So, I was a level 1 wizard (read: squishy), and my buddy was a level 1 bard (read: also squishy), and we went out to try and gather some food from the surrounding jungle, after a shipwreck dumped us on a jungle island...a jungle island populated by various nefarious terrors, but we didn't know that, then. So we went into the forest, looking for food, and we were attacked by a vicious, terrible, awful, horrendous jungle goat. That single goat killed us both, dead.

For a friend...

He was playing a Mage (AD&D) for the first (and last) time at 1st level, he had 4 hp, and woke up my fighter character that was being plagued by nightmares...

He shook me to wake me for an encounter, dm had me roll a save that I promptly fumbled, said that I would swing at the person waking me, rolled a 20, max damage, plus str bonus...

Killed the poor MU outright....

That was 20+ years ago, and he still won't play a mage...

ahahahahahha, that's awesome.

• Like 2