Guindyloo VS Khanjira in 7 Days!

Guindyloo

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Woah!  Going for another 7-Day challenge.  You've bested one, I believe you can best this one.  And that face paint, AWESOME!  These challenges are so fun to watch progress.  They almost make me want to start one, almost.

Careful there Silver, remember what is happening in the other challenge thread going on now..

Love that look Guindyloo!

Going to do silver and black for the whole experience?

• Like 6

Now of course, you will need to paint the rest of the band.... :devil:

Love it!

And to be completely accurate ALL the painted Members... So Peter Criss, Ace Frehley, Paul Stanley, Eric Carr, Vinnie Vincent...

After that the make up was gone, so ONLY 5 to go!!!! :devil:

Seriously, I love the KISS version of this. Keep it !!! Go for it, maybe do his scales as Silver Grey armor like Gene's????

• Like 5

Woah!  Going for another 7-Day challenge.  You've bested one, I believe you can best this one.  And that face paint, AWESOME!  These challenges are so fun to watch progress.  They almost make me want to start one, almost.

Careful there Silver, remember what is happening in the other challenge thread going on now..

Love that look Guindyloo!

Going to do silver and black for the whole experience?

Actually, it's not the people mentioning that they might be nearly inspired to do a 7 day challenge that are in danger of being voluntold. If you'll recall, it was ub3r daring me to do something that he wasn't willing to do himself that then forced his painting hand into painting a pink Kaladrax...

So the actual danger is in people trying to dare me into things like, I dunno, painting the rest of the band.... ::P:

Also, y'all are all pretty silly. At what point did I say that I was painting Khanjira any differently than I'm painting now?

So if I've done none of that, then what have I done to prepare myself, you ask? Well, I have thought a lot about the paint scheme. Here are some inspiration pictures:

I said I'd thought a lot about the paint scheme. Then y'all assumed that was the paint scheme that I was talking about just because I posted some pictures to inspire all of you. ::P:

Anyway, I'm glad y'all are enjoying Khangenera. I have a lot more work to do on him, obviously, but fortunately I was raised by the demons, trained to reign as the one god of thunder and rock and roll.  :B):

• Like 13

I'm pretty certain that the best minis for a Kiss tribute is the Orc Rock Band 'Spinal Crack' set from Alternate Armies, but whatever rocks your boat... 

There's drums, the lead guitarist(with a V-guitar) has a very long tongue... 

There's two female singers, but... yeah, it's Rock'n Roll, man. 

• Like 3

I know I'm not the greatest at taking step by step progress pictures, sorry about that. So let me go back in time a little bit.

While y'all were coming up with explanations for my blue paint turning black, I was painting all of Khangenera's skin black - MSP Pure Black. Once that was done, I got to work on his head. First I used MSP Pure White on just about his entire head except for the top parts that I knew were going to be black. To cover the Brown Liner completely, it took approximately 87 20 coats.

post-13371-0-63938500-1473020799.jpg

Next, just to paint a colour other than Brown Liner, black or white, I painted his tongue with Warcolours Red 5 which, despite being labeled as an opaque paint, is pretty translucent. This is apparently common for Warcolours paints but it really hasn't bothered me and will be good for layering.

Then while that was drying, I took a pencil and while staring at a bunch of pictures of Gene Simmons, whose makeup has changed slightly here and there over the years, I sketched in where the black would go. I forgot to take a picture of that part, but I'm pretty sure that everyone can imagine what pencil sketched over white paint looks like. Once I had the outlines where I wanted them and as even as I could get them, I used MSP Pure Black to trace the lines and then fill everything in. I messed up multiple times and had to go over spots with more white to clean them up. I took my time with it until I was pleased with it.

post-13371-0-08065400-1473021186.jpg

For the teeth, I used Warcolours Ochre 1 which, again, is labeled as being opaque but is pretty translucent but that was just fine for what I wanted. Next I did a wash over the teeth using a 50/50 mix of Warcolours Pink 2 and Warcolours Brown 1.

post-13371-0-43187000-1473021327.jpg

For the gums, I made a 50/50 mix of Warcolours Brown 1 and Warcolours Pink 4, which I think makes a pretty convincing colour for gums.

post-13371-0-08904500-1473021397.jpg

After that was done, I outlined the mouth with MSP Pure Black. I still plan on brightening up the tongue a bit but haven't done so yet.

Today I've been working on highlighting his skin. I don't think that I have to tell any of you how difficult it is to highlight black without pushing it too grey, so I've been pushing it and pulling it quite a bit for the past few hours.

So over the base I drybushed coats of Warcolours Cool Grey 5, then Cool Grey 4, then Cool Grey 3, then I tightened it up with Cool Grey 2 and then did very specific spots with Cool Grey 1. I was immediately unhappy with how grey it'd gone, so I did a heavy wash using Warcolours Black Transparent. Then I drybrushed MSP Black back into the darker areas and then did a light drybrushing to highlight with MSP Tanned Leather to warm it up a little bit. That took it to here:

post-13371-0-35033500-1473021721.jpg

Now I'm currently working on drybrushing MSP Nightmare Black into the dark areas, which is looking like this:

post-13371-0-14125300-1473021798.jpg

Which I'm pretty happy with because, mind you, lizard skin is going to have some varied colouration to it, but certainly if anyone has any suggestions, please feel free to shout it out loud! .....and then post it here because I probably won't be able to hear your shouting. ::P:

• Like 19