Painting Gems

Gargs

Anybody have any tips, or know of any good tutorials for painting gems?  I have a lot of figures with little gems on them and I'm just not sure how to get the gems to really stand out.  The small surface area of the gems in particular makes it difficult for me.  (Being a noob doesn't help, but figured a good tut might at least get me trying the right way!)  

As always, thanks in advance for any assistance!

• Like 2

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

a few others:

cmon.

pintrest.

The key to gems is a gradient from light to dark, with the lighter area at the edge or bottom of the gem, and the darker area up top, with a white spot in its center.  even if the blending isn't smooth, that sort of recipe will give you the feel of a gem reflecting light.  Have fun!

• Like 4

a few others:

cmon.

pintrest.

The key to gems is a gradient from light to dark, with the lighter area at the edge or bottom of the gem, and the darker area up top, with a white spot in its center.  even if the blending isn't smooth, that sort of recipe will give you the feel of a gem reflecting light.  Have fun!

Awesome, thanks for the links, I really appreciate it.  This should hopefully be much better than simply painting it a solid color.  :P

Yeah, I've found that digital painting tutorials are pretty much perfect for using as references for painting various parts of miniatures. Despite the three-dimensional nature of miniatures, it's often very helpful when painting them to think of them the way you'd think of painting a two-dimensional image since you're often using color and contrast to give the illusion of depth and define shapes just as much as the sculpted details do.

A great deal of what I've learned from doing Photoshop-type image modification over the years has informed my miniature painting, and vise versa.

• Like 2