Best Version of DnD?

Kendal

No, no I can't. Is the Paladin lurking somewhere in the back ready to smite some greedy murderhobos?

Also if there's a chapel part to this castle I'm populating but I can't think of any reason for any of the dwellers, especially those in charge, to make proper use of it... should I just stick some zombies in the pews and a gibbering mouther at the altar and that's just what twisted evil castle-squatters would do with a chapel?

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, BlazingTornado said:

No, no I can't. Is the Paladin lurking somewhere in the back ready to smite some greedy murderhobos?

Also if there's a chapel part to this castle I'm populating but I can't think of any reason for any of the dwellers, especially those in charge, to make proper use of it... should I just stick some zombies in the pews and a gibbering mouther at the altar and that's just what twisted evil castle-squatters would do with a chapel?

They might also 'modify' any existing paintings or statuary to better suit their aesthetics, or their shaman might even have taken over and rededicated the place.

I'm not sure if there's a shaman around. There's hobgoblins with goblin minions, a few gargoyles, some constructs here and there, a hag who's caring for some vampire spawn with the aid of an old witch... a yuan-ti freezing his broccoli off hoping to find something worth betraying the lot of em and skedaddling on em, an ogre cook, I think I have a powerful mage in there somewhere and a powerful warrior as the head honcho. He has a cleric lackey but the guy's a total joke, so he wouldn't be filling that church with anything.

I just feel like the three "in charge", the warrior, the mage and the hag, would be the kind to stick zombies led by a gibbering mouther in there because HA HA, social commentary.

22 hours ago, TheAuldGrump said:

Hey! I also do Lancelot!

C'est moi! C'est moi! I am forced to admit!

'Tis I, I humbly reply!

That mortal who,

These marvels can do!

C'est moi! C'est moi! Tis I!

Or maybe -

4750233725_7df69a47a9_z.jpgFie On Goodness Fie by YeAuldGrump, on Flickr

(The answer to the question on the poster is All of Them - taken from a now defunct webcomic titled Five Star.)

The Auld Grump

And that was how I learned that Megan has never seen Camelot - and that her only exposure to the songs has been when I sing them....

The Auld Grump - Camelot!

Camelot!

Camelot!

It's only a model....

We are losing a player - he is going to be starting a game for his eldest daughter and her friends. ::): (He plays, his wife plays, and now his daughter plays.)

This is from our Rise of the Runelords game - the one that has just been quietly chugging along.

Guardians of the Galaxy has joined such exalted films as Monty Python and the Holy Grail and The Princess Bride - getting quoted frequently during the games....

The Auld Grump

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Scarwall is not going well for the PCs... none dead, yet, but two were in negatives during a random encounter - a minor random encounter....

Crit happens.

And two PCs were petrified.

Tempted to do a whole lot of spoiling... but let it be said that now hey know who and what Karzavon was.

The Auld Grump

You left out that both our front line fighters are currently stoned.

So it is not just that two people are petrified, it is that our ability to take damage has been reduced

A magus and a rogue/vigilante/shadow dancer are good second line combatants, but they are better at doing damage than taking it.

We are boned until the cleric rests and learns stone to flesh.

Right now the paladin and barbarian are paperweights in our bags of holding.

To be fair - they got petrified while doing exactly what they should have been doing - engaging critters that would have otherwise been doing a real number on the party.

Them engaging like they did allowed the Magus and the Shadowdancer to take the critter out.

The surprise was when two characters went down to a CR6 wandering monster - any one of you should have been able to take it down.

Heck, the cleric did some serious damage to it, even before the Magus and Shadowdancer engaged. (The Magus was the #1 target priority - the thing was down to 6HP after he zapped it. Molly pretty much just ran into its weapon when she fumbled her Acrobatics roll, and gave it an attack of opportunity.

The Auld Grump

• Haha 1

Ah well. Win some lose some.

My players (minus one, apparently going to a convention in Florida was more important, his loss) reached the climax of the lengthy city-dwelling two-level adventure I cooked up for them.

So after finding out the evil cult's duplicity within the town and dwelling into their underground lair and finding some orcs to ally themselves with,  they were forced to confront the mummified corpse of a former adventurer they hung out with AND a lot of tanarukks (demon-orcs), fortunately the orcs helped them and had two Gruumsh priests who managed to break some of the tanarukks out of the cult's control to even things out.

After this victory the orcs and tanarukks spilled out into the city (well not really spill out but they do clear a path to the beach to get off this island city) while the party was forced to confront the last remaining thing in there: the evil leader of the cult.

Except not really because after defeating him they realize it was just a powerful zombie he was controlling remotely with some bracers and a mask. After they used a scroll of identify to know what the bracers are (they're finally paranoid enough not to immediately try on apparently-magical items!) the mask spoke again to taunt them... The few of his cultists who fled were initiating a ritual to raise what they'd hoped to empower further and lay waste to this town... A fire giant's reanimated skeleton!

(cue the latin chanting from Attack on Titan!)

And after a grueling battle of 3d6+5 damage per attack, 3 attacks per turn.... The ranger climbed it Shadow Of The Colossus-style and dealt the killing blow.

Decided to end it there to let them savour the victory all week.

And after all that, I set out to finally finish all the things for the adventure in a keep occupied by a few evil folk and their numerous minions. So now I get to start work on the subsequent thing... Which I really want to be some hexcrawl delve up in the frozen wastelands, but I know next to nothing about how to design a hexcrawl... Could use some pointers.

Edited by BlazingTornado

Need some feedback about how deep in my mouth I'm planting my foot - this thread seems a decent place to find to find adult opinion. I'm getting some free time, and am planning to try and GM a game of Eclipse Phase. The bit I need opinion on is the last two paragraphs of the drafted post.

As an additional restriction on chargen, no Pleasure Pod morphs or transgender characters; the latter restriction being waived if you yourself can credibly claim to be transgender. Yes, this means no Fury morphs unless you're a chick.

The reasons are; first, it's a family-friendly store; and second, that I, the GM, just don't want to deal with those issues in the hands of a troll or the less than mature.

EP is a game where you can swap bodies, called morphs. Furies are the best combat bodies that aren't robotic, but are female only.

Edited by Club

38 minutes ago, Club said:

Need some feedback about how deep in my mouth I'm planting my foot - this thread seems a decent place to find to find adult opinion. I'm getting some free time, and am planning to try and GM a game of Eclipse Phase. The bit I need opinion on is the last two paragraphs of the drafted post.

EP is a game where you can swap bodies, called morphs. Furies are the best combat bodies that aren't robotic, but are female only.

As long as you prohibit players from playing a high intelligence character if the player has an IQ below 130, a high strength character if the player can't bench 100kg, or a high dexterity character if the player can't juggle four balls, I think you're fine. <_<

• Like 1

7 hours ago, BlazingTornado said:

(cue the latin chanting from Attack on Titan!)

I don't remember Latin from Attack on Titan. I remember German in the opening, though. The show itself was kinda dumb after like the first season or so, so if it came after that then I must have missed it.

Yea, that's German. "Sied ihr das essen? Nein, wir sind die Jäger." It translates to "Are you the eaten? No, we are the hunters."

The show has a decent premise for a fantasy story. Last bastion of humanity fighting against a mindless and seemingly unstoppable foe, barely hanging on, and then things go wrong when the defenses fail. Makes for a potentially epic story. But they they decided to go the Battlestar Galactica route and every couple episodes the writers threw a dart at a list of the cast and whoever it hit became the new bad guy and was suddenly capable of turning into a naked giant with magic powers. Which made it dumb.

Edited by Unruly
  • Haha 1