Sign in to follow this  
Kendal

Best Version of DnD?

What is best in life? To crush the PCs, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their players!

A motto that does not change, edition to edition....

The Auld Grump

• Like 6

Somehow, by some mechanism beyond the vision of mortal GM, that second 'old school' D&D/Pathfinder game became playing the first one two nights a week....

And that is old school! 

So, spent Friday chasing the level 6 party around the woods with a CR 4 burning skeleton bull auroch. (For some reason they were convinced that sumfin myffic were goin' on. There wasn't... until it seemed like a good idea.)

And the first thing the witch did was throw a fireball at the burning skeleton.

So, they were running from a burning cow skeleton and a forest fire.... Until I was nice and dropped the rain down that had been threatening the day before. (The forest fire would have happened anyway - see 'burning cow skeleton'.)

And the forest elves are not going to be pleased with them. (The forest is called The Spider Woods - who says that all dark elves have to be underground? They may not be Drow, but evil and spider worshiping wood elves are close enough for jazz.)

The woods have an ongoing war between evil orcs and eviller wood elves.

And the town that the PCs are going to is beyond those woods.

The Auld Grump - who is looking forward to woods driders.... And has been painting up some loverly, loverly Bones.

• Like 8

I ran my first D&D session in years using Pathfinder.  I ran the first installment of the "Devil we Know" series, and, with new players, it took a bit to get through the first encounter (which went okay for the players, despite one player nearly drowning of his own accord).  I had a lot of fun, and they seem to have had fun too.  I used the DM's craft version of 2.5-D and went gridless, which really worked.  I used "Song of Blades and heroes measuring sticks, and everyone seemed happy with it.  I also went with allowing 6 characters to surround another, no more, no less. 

Going to go through the second and maybe third scene in about 3 weeks.

• Like 3

The only time I've ever played D&D or Pathfinder was when a friend of mine got some of us together to play an epic(is that the right term?) game to convince us how fun it would be.  I came up with the most ridiculous character I could think of; a goblin samurai who had taken an oath of silence(I just sat there and read a book) for dishonoring his family name since I had no interest in playing it.

https://comicbooger.com/2016/07/21/sdcc-2016-crossover-with-red-sonja-tarzan-pathfinder-john-carter-more/

Now I'm sad because I can't find anyone to play it with me.

(on a side note, my goblin samurai slew the dragon in one hit)

Edited by The Gamer of C-ville

The "cow" was something out of nightmare.

We survived the encounter, we didn't BEAT the encounter. We spent our time running as the bull burst through the forest fire that I had lit, leaving flaming hoofprints as it came after us. If we hadn't jumped into the river then it would have KILLED us!

"CR4" MY elf!

And as soon as we came out of the water we got attacked by ORCS! D:

• Like 2

Personal preference I like BECMI or one of the Retro Clones. All the versions I have toyed with are fun enough, but I'm too old to fiddle with a ton of rules any more. I prefer my games to be more interactive story telling than hack and slash fest with teh lootz. I house rule as I feel necessary, and steal...I mean take inspiration from whatever other sources I find necessary. The system I currently use is Labyrinth Lord. I will admit that my totality of interest in LL is that I can bring two books plus whatever else I need (usually my battle mat and minis and dice) and all my friends can get the free copies to use for reference. There aren't 3 zillion books that someone always wants to rule lawyer out of, and the cost for anyone I  know to get started is nil since I bought a pound o' dice a few years back. 

Having said that, there really isn't a right answer. All the answers from everyone else are equally valid. 

• Like 3

The Auld Grump - who is looking forward to woods driders.... And has been painting up some loverly, loverly Bones.

Man speaking of that, when you ran/run Keep on the Borderlands... do you have all the minis necessary to fill up those caves?
That's one of those parts where I'm glad I play it on virtual tabletop... I'd go bankrupt getting all the minis necessary.

So, they were running from a burning cow skeleton and a forest fire....

:blink:

:lol:

Stuff like that is why I love RPGs!

Yep. Which is why I always love it when my players do something spontaneous and daring, and not the times when they take well over half an hour just to decide how to enter a cave and both decision process AND final decision are the most boring crap ever.

Fortunately the player with the drow rogue always tries to make up for their dullness.. to the point that she's totally willing to conspire with me against the rest if it means moving the danged game along.

• Like 3

Man speaking of that, when you ran/run Keep on the Borderlands... do you have all the minis necessary to fill up those caves?

That's one of those parts where I'm glad I play it on virtual tabletop... I'd go bankrupt getting all the minis necessary.

So, they were running from a burning cow skeleton and a forest fire....

:blink:

:lol:

Stuff like that is why I love RPGs!

Yep. Which is why I always love it when my players do something spontaneous and daring, and not the times when they take well over half an hour just to decide how to enter a cave and both decision process AND final decision are the most boring crap ever.

Fortunately the player with the drow rogue always tries to make up for their dullness.. to the point that she's totally willing to conspire with me against the rest if it means moving the danged game along.

Makes sense fora Drow...   ::P:

Although I love the burning cow skeleton and the forest fire.  Sooo going to put burning skeletons in a tomb in a forest.  That will mess with my players quite a bit.  (insert evil GM laugh here).

• Like 1

Your drow-playing player sounds like one of mine; if the rest of the party sits around discussing where they're going next for too long, he has his character just pick a direction and go into ST6* mode until he hits something or the party's 'scout' catches up to him.

Since he's playing the group's 'anvil', with appropriate armor, this is hilarious. It's even funnier when you picture the 7' ridiculous human being lectured by the 3' nothing ratfolk ...

I think I'mma borrow that flaming skellie thing, though; that has the possibility for much shenanigans and party-panic. ^^;

.. ETA:

*ST6 = Seal Team Six; also known as 'peering around corners a lot'.

Edited by Sylverthorne
  • Like 3

She's chaotic good! And was raised by humans!

Really she's just frustrated because the decisions are just circular and focused on minutae details like "okay we send an illusion first but what illusion to make".

I swear they once spent FORTY MINUTES before deciding "let's just walk in with these cultist robes we stole. Except the bard, she can use Disguise Self.", and it pissed me off so much. Last game it was "Let's send a gnome illusion to draw out the kobolds!" and then when the illusion walked over a pit trap without triggering it, the kobolds just saw through the duplicity and stayed put, and the idjits were just "WELL UH WHAT DO YOU WANT TO DO NOW" before finally just charging in and having the guy with the highest AC and the primary martial fall down that pit trap.

Meanwhile the drow outshined them all. After the kobold fight, they managed to get the tiefling cleric and the dragonborn ranger (the aforementionned AC guy and primary martial) out, but they exited from an end opposite where the rest of the party was, and were promptly attacked by giant rats. Since the cleric is her boyfriend, she decides to leap over the pit onto his back so she can fight more efficiently.

And yeah. If you wanna dare to do something awesome I will let you do something awesome, so one very successful acrobatics check to leap over that pit, followed by the cleric's nat 20 strength save to hold on to her, and she one-hit crits one of the rats with a thrown dagger.

Edited by BlazingTornado
  • Like 3

Your drow-playing player sounds like one of mine; if the rest of the party sits around discussing where they're going next for too long, he has his character just pick a direction and go into ST6* mode until he hits something or the party's 'scout' catches up to him.

Since he's playing the group's 'anvil', with appropriate armor, this is hilarious. It's even funnier when you picture the 7' ridiculous human being lectured by the 3' nothing ratfolk ...

Yeah, I've told her she can do that while the others just argue and I'd give her advantages on a few things to make the rest look like fools.

If they decide to sit around doing nothing in the owlbear cave I'm going to just let her go in and just come back a few minutes later riding the now-tamed owlbear. I get that it's "cheating" but really it just gets too tedious and I wanna get back to the storytelling and the combat.

• Like 2

She's chaotic good! And was raised by humans!

Really she's just frustrated because the decisions are just circular and focused on minutae details like "okay we send an illusion first but what illusion to make".

I swear they once spent FORTY MINUTES before deciding "let's just walk in with these cultist robes we stole. Except the bard, she can use Disguise Self.", and it pissed me off so much. Last game it was "Let's send a gnome illusion to draw out the kobolds!" and then when the illusion walked over a pit trap without triggering it, the kobolds just saw through the duplicity and stayed put, and the idjits were just "WELL UH WHAT DO YOU WANT TO DO NOW" before finally just charging in and having the guy with the highest AC and the primary martial fall down that pit trap.

Meanwhile the drow outshined them all. After the kobold fight, they managed to get the tiefling cleric and the dragonborn ranger (the aforementionned AC guy and primary martial) out, but they exited from an end opposite where the rest of the party was, and were promptly attacked by giant rats. Since the cleric is her boyfriend, she decides to leap over the pit onto his back so she can fight more efficiently.

And yeah. If you wanna dare to do something awesome I will let you do something awesome, so one very successful acrobatics check to leap over that pit, followed by the cleric's nat 20 strength save to hold on to her, and she one-hit crits one of the rats with a thrown dagger.

Cinematic is fun.  And I've had groups focused on Minutiae, too.  Was fun to throw things at them that made them actually act (prodding worked to make them move).  They were very tactically minded, so I really had to have a curve ball hidden from view to surprise them.  Overall, they were a lot of fun. 

Drow tend to be my least liked characters (PC's, that is).  They really don't fit the surface world in my mind, but I can be proven wrong at times.