Brushes - What am I doing wrong?

hiddenone32

I finally got around to getting some hobbying done after a few weeks.  I figured I would try out my new Rosemary & Co. brushes.  I washed the glue out with the masters brush soap, lathering them up in the palm of my hand and rinsing them out in a clean cup, after receiving them a few weeks ago. I then put a touch of the soap on them and formed them to a point, put their plastic tubes back on them, and put them away, like I've been doing with my Hobby Lobby brushes.

A little while ago I pulled them out to use on a fresh bones orc and after a few strokes this would happen:

My #2

post-13789-0-37463800-1473027955_thumb.jpg

That's actually the second #2 I tried.  I didn't think to try taking pictures before I cleaned and put that one away.  It looked the same.  So then I tried one of the #0s:

post-13789-0-86157800-1473027953_thumb.jpg

Did I get some bad brushes or am I doing something really wrong?  Or am I overreacting to something normal that I was unaware of?

• Like 1

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's probably from mashing them in the palm of your hand when you lathered them up. But, I could be wrong, as cheap brushes tend to do this regardless.

It's also a problem with cheaper glue used to set the bristles in the ferrule.

I've found that Rosemary & Co. end up doing this regardless of how good you take care of them. Which is probably why they are very cheap.

My latest W&N #1 ended up doing this a bit as well. So, I think it might be a problem with the humidity, and the ferrule glue drying out.

To fix it (and this is probably a horrible idea), I placed the brush down on a flat piece of white card. I then took a very sharp hobby knife, and trimmed off all the offending hairs. It's likely one of the worst things you can do to a brush, but I'd rather paint with a single point than with a bunch of stray hairs.

• Like 3

So, I've never used that kind. I use w&n brushes. But I know that when my husband uses the same brushes, this happens to him.

Keep your brush wetter. That's what he doesn't do that makes brushes he uses do this. Thin your paint a little more and wash them a little more frequently. See if that helps. ☺

• Like 10

So, I've never used that kind. I use w&n brushes. But I know that when my husband uses the same brushes, this happens to him.

Keep your brush wetter. That's what he doesn't do that makes brushes he uses do this. Thin your paint a little more and wash them a little more frequently. See if that helps. ☺

Yes, I've never had my winsors or wamps do this to me and I make sure to keep my brushes wet and I leave a bit of conditioner on them when I'm done cleaning them after a session. I make sure when drying they are made pointy with some conditioner, plastic tips put back on and they are faced down in my brush cup. Most people don't do half of these and are still perfectly fine with their brushes but since winsors are so hard to get in the US, I'd rather take care of them to the best of my ability. 

When I used to only have to use hobby lobby/synthetic brushes, I learned to brush/twist to make up for the stray hairs so it wouldn't ruin the paint job I was trying to do. It's a great way to make your brush return to a point if your brush is wet enough. 

When I say paint and twist, I mean as you are painting and you see that stray hair pop out, twist the brush in your fingers on the model so that the hair will go back into formation. If that makes sense. I'm awful at explaining things. @[email protected] Think I'll just crawl back into my corner now. 

• Like 6

Stray hairs I snip off with a small pair of nail clippers. This is preferrable to yanking the hair out.

I know with W&N (unsure of other brands), the hairs are tied together. Yanking out the hair loosens this bond.

wnbrush.jpg

What causes strays? No idea. Sometimes a hair can twist or break (look at your own hair). If each hair is placed just so in order to form a proper belly and point, and a hair twists, or the glue (if loosened) allows a hair or three to move in the bond, this can cause problems.

I have this problem with Raphael. I haven't tried my DiVinci. I haven't had this problem with my W&Ns, but as they age they have fishtailed.

Keep them clean. Use conditioner. Just take care of your brushes. If you have stray hairs... snip them. Just don't pull them out.

• Like 10

I don't have experience with the Rosemary brushes...mine are on their way to me, cause I did want to try them out.

But one thing I've found with some of the brush brands I've tried, is that they sometimes take a bit of training...

To keep rolling the tip and using brush soap to keep a good tip formed...then after painting with it a few times more it stops kicking out stray hairs and keeps together beautifully. If a hair or two just won't stay in place, I nip them out with fine scissors.

I tend not to judge a brush too much until I've trained it up a bit.

• Like 3

You could have a bad batch, like W&N had at one time. I know some Reaper forum members use them, so write back to the company and see if you can get a replacement.

fwiw, Have you also tried Pink Soap? I find it easier to use, so use it for all my brushes, as well as dip the brushes in the soap (it's also a conditioner) after using. I also use a "helping hands" to hold my brushes upside down to dry them. Both are cheap, so might as well try them.

• Like 2

Many brushes have fly aways, some more than others. Snip off the fly aways. That being said, even top line brushes will develop strays overtime. I'm a brush licker myself, so after I wash my brushes, with a bit of dish soap, a twist and drag them over a paper towel to dry them out then reshape them with a quick lick then place them in their plastic tubes. I do this with my citadel brushes, army painter brushes, and my da vinci. The only brush which has strays is one of my citadel brushes. I clippd off all of the strays and it works just fine now.

If it really bothers you, I recommend a new brush. The wargamer line and masterclass line from army painter is really good for its price. I also highly recommend the da vinci line. I use a size 1 series 10. All of these brushes are quality sable. Some martir some kowlenski, but all good brushes for their price, especially the da vinci.

Reaper also carries a number of brushes, but I am unfamiliar with their quality. I imagine they are about the same quality as the army painter brushes.

• Like 3