Brushes - What am I doing wrong?

hiddenone32

So, I've never used that kind. I use w&n brushes. But I know that when my husband uses the same brushes, this happens to him.

Keep your brush wetter. That's what he doesn't do that makes brushes he uses do this. Thin your paint a little more and wash them a little more frequently. See if that helps. ☺

This was my first thought when I saw your issue.

• Like 1

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Do NOT use shampoo meant for your hair. It dries out and damages the hairs on your brushes.

I should have mentioned the recommended shampoo to use is a PH neutral one such as Johnson's Baby Shampoo. I didn't notice any difference with regular shampoo though.

I just had a thought; I wonder if olive oil would be good for brushes? I'll try it on an old brush to see what happens.

Edited by Cosmic_Mastermind
  • Like 1

Do NOT use shampoo meant for your hair. It dries out and damages the hairs on your brushes.

I should have mentioned the recommended shampoo to use is a PH neutral one such as Johnson's Baby Shampoo. I didn't notice any difference with regular shampoo though.

Regarding PH specific shampoos, the PH balance is not for the hair, but for the skin.

I learned that tidbit when searching for pet hair (dog) shampoos vs. human hair shampoos since we are talking about animal hair in all cases.

It's the effect of various oils and/or hair conditioners that probably make the biggest difference in how the brush behaves after cleaning.

Edited by Cranky Dog
  • Like 2

Licking them is fine.

I beg to differ.

Please never lick brushes.

I don't see how licking a clean brush is going to do anything.

I also wonder why you're on a crusade to get anyone and everyone to avoid licking their brush?

Sure, it could be bad for your health.

But so is eating McDonald's.

And McD's probably has more chemicals and toxic constituents than any amount you might ingest off of a clean paint brush.

• Like 2

I have found saliva on a clean brush does get it to hold its tip really well. Probably due to the viscosity of spit or something like that.

Fun fact- you don't need to lick your brush to get saliva onto it. (But I do lick it lol) you could lick a hand or fingertip.

It's what I have been doing on my R&C brushes and it helps them keep shape.

It sure appears that you don't have enough water in the paint.  Water has a natural attraction to other water molecules, so that force actually keeps the bristles in a point.

I don't use that particular brand of brush, so I can't comment on their quality.  Lower-quality brushes will do this, as will brushes that don't have top-of-the-line butt fur.  Several years ago, Siberia experiences some warmer than normal winters, and the sables that were used for Windsor & Newton brushes didn't get their normal coats.  The slight differences showed up in several batches of bad brushes. 

Don't lick your brushes, because while there may not be paint (but there is, trust me), there are other wonderful things like antifungal chemicals.  Plus, if you remember the "lead paint on childrens' toys" stories from not to long ago, you'll realize that some countries don't care what they manufacture, as long as they get paid.

You can also add conditioner, form the bristles to a point, and let them sit for a good length of time.  Don't rinse out all the conditioner.  It is possible that "reshaping" will take place and solve your problem.

• Like 5

My R&C brushes don't have as much 'snap' as the one W&N I've got. So they're a little more vulnerable to poking motions. I have managed to get bad brushes to regain their proper shape if I let them sit for a while with either pink soap or master's brush cleaner.

I did have to learn new techniques for painting when I started with Kolinsky brushes. I had to force myself to imagine that I was gently stroking the mini with paint, which seemed silly but helped.

• Like 4