Sign in to follow this  
redpiano

RED RED RED RED RED RED RED I'm seeing REEEEDDDD

I need help, very badly. My sanity is slipping through the back door.

I'm painting this bust, pig pilot guy. I took a picture of my progress to show someone how orange it looked and the white balance and everything made it look GORGEOUS and I've been trying for the last two days to make it look like this and nothing I try works.

Here is the photo: http://i.imgur.com/rdVUpOw.jpg

Now. Here is what I've tried thus far so we can skip any redundancies. 

My initial try was using green and three reds, over a black and white airbrush primer surface. I was using Scale Colour Deep Red, Blood Red and Antares Red for the highlight. The end result looked orange, this displeased me. So then I tried going in and overcoating everything with Scale Colour Red Leather, I then tried using Winsor & Newton Cadmium Red Medium as my final highlight, even CADMIUM red, the reddest of red can be red, was looking orange-ish pink. I tried reducing the amount of area I was highlighting. Still orange.

So the next thing a friend recommended I do is use whites and grays and black to create my texture and then glaze on red ink, I did this and it's gotten me close but not quite there still. It's also difficult because I can't seem to get it to look quite the right color in my photos as it looks in person so I can't really show you the problem.

But here is where I'm at now, it's close to this, but just slightly orange http://i.imgur.com/Xfu90C4.jpg

If anyone can tell me how to paint red to look RED like in my first picture, I'll take any tips at this point.

• Like 1

You got a Porco Rosso bust?!

Now there's something I never expected.

I don't have any practical tips for red. It's just one of those beautiful evil colors. But as you've realized, surrounding lighting and the paired colour (green) can have an effect on how we perceive it.

• Like 1

^  Porco!  Nice!

Anyway, you could try slipping some reddish purple, or a bluish black or brown, into the recesses.  That can have the affect of cooling off your orange.  Though the blue route may dim the vibrancy of the reds since there's so much orange (though it looks a fairly decent, neutral red to me).

I use VMA scarlet red. Antares red is really orangey. Almost vermilion to my eyes. I do a zenithal highlight of white over black. Get a good red going by applying the red in very thin layers. Highlight again with white the hot spots build back up thinned VMA scarlet red real slow. I'm usually ok with this red. If you want to go further highlight again with white and do it again. After 3 passes you might have to build up shadows again. VMA scarlet is very red and very transparent. I think Aldebaran red is more of a Ferrari or dark red but it might work.

post-9296-0-97577400-1473217148_thumb.jpg

Edited by czebas
  • Like 1

Given I paint LOTS of red with my chaos dwarfs and Khador, but I use Vallejo Game and Model colors. 

To get the effect of no orange with red is really, really difficult.  Same with a pinkish highlight.  I echo the above comments about using a bluish black or even a very dark blue-violet (I use Vallejo Game color Stormy Blue with a bit of Vallejo Model Color German Grey for the darkest of darks).  Next add in some red to the stormy blue (first shadow), adding more red to the mix until you get where you want to go (for the colors you are intending, my start would be Game Color Scarlet Red, moving up into Game Color Gory Red).  Highlights would move into Scarlet red and, yes, orange (hear me out!) before tipping with Model Color "Cadmium Red" (a familiar color!).  After you are done with this, get as thin a glaze of your medium red (in my case, Gory Red) and glaze over 1-3 times.  This will cut the orange and make it appear as a brighter red. 

I hope this helps.

Edited by Darkmeer
  • Like 2

I should also note that I have mixes that start with a dark green as well as a dark brown, but the end result is basically the same, it's just a matter of what works on the model.