Sign in to follow this  
Baldur8762

Brown Liner?

How does pure Future work?

Would pure matte medium work the same?

I am hesitant to use chemicals designed for one purpose on something else.

• Like 1

I'd suggest MATTE VARNISH instead of matte medium. Can pick it up in bottles at places like Hobby Libby and Michaels. Edited by ub3r_n3rd

Future displays hydrophobic properties on bare plastic.  Less than water does, but still some.

Edit:  its glossy sheen also makes it a bear to paint over. 

Future has played many terrible tricks on me. 

Edit 2:  It worked like it did in Ravendas' post because the liner mitigates the hydrophobic behaviour of the thinning agent, same as it does when thinned with water.  Liner's magick is strong. 

Edited by buglips*the*goblin
  • Like 6

If you looked at the safety data sheet, Future* was just acrylic medium with a few agents to allow it to spread. SC Johnson changed the name to Pledge with Future Shine and claimed that the formula was the same. Then (from an Amazon comment): "Called SC Johnson today. "pledge floor care multi-surface finish with future shine" is no longer produced under this name. They changed the name to "pledge floor care multi-surface finish" in December of 2012 ("a clear bottle, with clear solution, with a boot on the label" ~ Wendy from SC Johnson said)."

Looking at the SC Johnson data page today, though, there's quite a bit more in there, and the SDS now lists other stuff as well. I know experienced modelers still use it regularly, but I'm less sanguine about recommending it today than I used to be.

Matte medium includes a matting agent, generally a particulate like silica. This is intended to make the surface rougher (on a microscopic level) and scatter incident light rather than allowing a specular reflection. That scattering will tend to reduce the saturation of the color used on the surface and the roughness will reduce the durability of the surface. But there's nothing about matte medium that would obviously cause a problem. Or you could just use acrylic gloss medium.

• Like 2

Future displays hydrophobic properties on bare plastic.  Less than water does, but still some.

Edit:  its glossy sheen also makes it a bear to paint over. 

Future has played many terrible tricks on me. 

Edit 2:  It worked like it did in Ravendas' post because the liner mitigates the hydrophobic behaviour of the thinning agent, same as it does when thinned with water.  Liner's magick is strong. 

Yeah, you don't use pure future as a basecoat, I just was using it there for testing purposes as it can be used as a flow aid. I wanted to see how it interacted with brown liner.

I tend to use future as a base for washes, so just used it by default in my tests as I use the brown liner here like a wash.

• Like 1

We do not encourage or recommend using Future brand floor polish as an additive to our paints. We suggest using only paints, water, and common paint solvents (rubbing alcohol airbrush mediums, etc.) and wish to discourage the use of non-paint items in paint. This includes but is not limited to floor polishes, food additives, urethanes, resins and other ingredients.

*looks at can of frosting that has Reaper Walnut Brown added to it.*

*looks at Bryan's post*

*looks back can of frosting*

*slides can of frosting over to tangerine colored goblin*

*sighs*

• Like 5

On 9/6/2016 at 6:19 AM, Chris Palmer said:

I like to put it on very thin, so it outlines all the details on the figure, and makes them easier to see.  While I love Bones figures, I sometimes find it's hard to see details on the pure white surface.

Hi Chris,

Would you share some details on how you get your liner very thin?  Water?  Matte Medium?  Non Nutritive Cereal Varnish?  I've been experimenting with basing my Bones minis with Liner, but they don't look like yours and I'd like them to.

• Like 1

Anyone with ideas on this, please feel free to share.  My minis are blotchy with liner — well some of them.  Bones 2 are.  Bones 3 not so much, but they’re really dark.  I’m looking for a few tips to try out.

@Original_Carl I have a recipe I pinched from somewhere (possibly somewhere on these forums, but I have forgotten or lost the origin) which is 2 drops of Brown Liner: 6 drops of Brush on Sealer: 2-3 drops of water.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Sibling said:

@Original_Carl I have a recipe I pinched from somewhere (possibly somewhere on these forums, but I have forgotten or lost the origin) which is 2 drops of Brown Liner: 6 drops of Brush on Sealer: 2-3 drops of water.

This would work.  Also, if you would like to save a step, you can just use Reaper's Wash Medium since it's Brush-on sealer that's already thinned with water.  I actually use that as sealer now that I learned about it, because I tended to thin the sealer with water anyway (this helps make it a bit more matte).  Either method should work fine.  Thinning with water alone will also work, but the Sealer or Wash Medium will probably be a more robust undercoat.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I have wash medium, so I’ll try liner-to-medium at 1: 3 or 4.

I’ve been using 1:2 or 3 so far and it’s just too dark. 

Edited by Original_Carl
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Original_Carl said:

I have wash medium, so I’ll try liner-to-medium at 1: 3 or 4.

I’ve been using 1:2 or 3 so far and it’s just too dark. 

Yeah, brown liner is very dark.  I had high hopes for the Sepia liner, that it might have the endurance of brown liner without being as dark, but it turned out not to.  But really a person would only need brown liner's damage-resistant strength if their minis were going to see hard action anyways.  If they're not going to see a lot of rough use, or have players trying to stick them up their noses or whatever, then they won't need the near-indestructible undercoat of raw brown liner.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2