Sign in to follow this  
Baldur8762

Brown Liner?

If you want to use brown liner for priming as a more than occasional thing I'd recommend just buying a larger bottle of primer instead. My preference is stynylrez but there are other brands that work as well.

• Like 4

I’ve had such mixed luck with primers and already bought so many that I could not justify buying anything new until I had explored this liner option more.  After reading about it, I had to try it and when I did, I was not getting results like some of the photos here.

Thinning 1:5 liner to wash medium gets me results much more in line with some of the better examples I’ve seen, but I’ve only done 4 minis with it so far.  I’ll get these painted and then try some more.

I’m trying to define a good process for painting my hundreds of Bones minis. I’m looking to get my time per figure down to a three hours or so.  I think the key to faster completion is less rework. Having a fast base coat that does deep shadows, brings out details and gives you a good adhesion surface for paint saves a lot of rework.  I’ve still got a lot of Bones 2 and 3 unpainted.  I think I painted fewer than 5 Bones 4 and I bought two expansions.  I now have 40 or so painted total since my Bones 2 Kickstarter.  I’ve dipped, stripped and repainted several of those since I started all those years ago with craft paints (I have a big box of Reaper paints now!).  It’s been a journey.  Along the with my process I’m developing my own techniques and skills. Speed is an issue, but I want them to look good, too.

Preparing minis and getting those first colors on has been a challenge from the start.  Painting over white is not easy and as hydrophobic as some of the Bones models are, even Reaper Bones paint unthinned would bead up on the mini.  And I don’t like painting unthinned. I like thin coats and washes.  Did I mention I’ve dipped and stripped several?  Lots of false starts, I’m afraid.

The journey continues. I’m liking the results of the thinner liner so far.  I have yet to try FolkArt Glass and Tile Medium, but I’m looking forward to the experiment.

Thanks all for replying to this Zombie Thread o__O

• Like 3

On 12/25/2019 at 2:48 AM, TGP said:

Did you try unthinned Pure Brown Liner yet?

I have. That was my first attempt when I got the stuff.  The model came out really blotchy, but I powered through it and eventually, after many coats I got this: IMG_20191125_222145.thumb.jpg.bd370712080fb903a9449cac7dee154f.jpg

You can still see the weird shadows under his cloak. It took a lot more work to get him to this: IMG_20191230_122103.thumb.jpg.d0b7329c570fb1169e6bbd3ef8809d4e.jpg

I thought that might have been a fluke, so I started another model: IMG_20191218_095437.thumb.jpg.0fcae1a0b4fcfe6104a2555a16989fee.jpg

He's in the dip now. I used unthinned brown liner on him.  Compare that to this bear, who I did 1:5,  liner:wash medium:brownLinerBear.jpg.e3cae3f6a754e9bcf6f5841b4306d5a7.jpg

There may be a Bones 2 vs. Bones 3 factoring into this, too. Some of these white models just laugh at my foolish attempts at paint/liner/primer.  Others are pretty agreeable, no matter what.

Again, thanks for all the replies and feedback. It's taken me years to get around to getting "more serious" about painting and Reaper, and this forum have been influential in that journey. :peace:

• Like 3

On 12/21/2019 at 1:04 AM, Original_Carl said:

Anyone with ideas on this, please feel free to share.  My minis are blotchy with liner — well some of them.  Bones 2 are.  Bones 3 not so much, but they’re really dark.  I’m looking for a few tips to try out.

In general, the liner coat is intended purely as a primer, to be covered entirely by the later coats of paint. In that role, as long as the plastic is covered, you should be fine.

The problem you're seeing I would put down to the poor coverage of most red and yellow paints (other than Cadmium reds and yellows, which are really very nice indeed. When painting miniatures (plastic, metal, resin, whatever), I prefer an undercoat of yellow ocher for yellows and iron oxide red for reds. (Other pigments work, but I have those and they're quite opaque.) For Reaper paints, Palomino Gold is a very nice opaque base for yellows and I would use something like Chestnut Brown for reds.

On 12/22/2019 at 11:40 AM, cmorse said:

If you want to use brown liner for priming as a more than occasional thing I'd recommend just buying a larger bottle of primer instead. My preference is stynylrez but there are other brands that work as well.

I've used many different priming solutions for various miniatures over the last -mumble- decades. For Bones, I've settled on Stynylrez as well, and I strongly prefer to use it through an airbrush.

• Like 4

I'm just not ready for an airbrush. I don't have the space and the expense is difficult to justify.  I've heard a lot of good things about Stynylrez, but haven't spent yet more money on another attempt at getting some kind of basecoat on these things so I can paint them.

Thanks for the tips on basecoating for reds and yellows. I'll try that going forward.

• Like 2

One thing to remember about Brown Liner is that you can also use it as a shade additive.  So if you're going to be working with red and want to work dark-to-light you can mix brown liner to the red to make a darker red that will cover better.  I actually use brown liner more to make shade colours than as a primer now.  It's bit too dark to work with yellow the same way (it will just turn it green), but you could just use a different medium brown added to the yellow to get it to cover better as well.  What Doug said is, of course, also accurate.  There are many ways to go about it, but most of them come down to red and yellow being particularly bearish colours to use so you have to work around their tendency towards translucence.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1