Sign in to follow this  
SamuraiJack

DRAGONLOCK 2: Fantasy Village Terrain for 3D Printers

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1679800548/dragonlock-2-fantasy-village-terrain-for-3d-printe?ref=friends_backed

The DRAGONLOCKâ„¢ terrain system for 3D printers allows you to create modular interlocking buildings of your own design.

Edited by Darsc Zacal
Tag updated
  • Like 2

About this project

5ab0eb3b4aa813f1a9dee9f00da8b4f5_origina

DRAGONLOCKâ„¢ (patent pending) is an all-new interlocking terrain system that allows you to create fully modular, multi-level 28mm scale village terrain for your RPG or wargame on your home 3D printer. Each set is delivered in a downloadable .stl format via our online distribution partner DriveThruRPG.com, and once you have the set, you can print as many pieces as you like and never run out or need to purchase more. This new terrain system is the culmination of eleven years of gaming terrain design experience.

By supporting us through Kickstarter, you get bonus models that won't be available later, and access to free stretch rewards. We have been in the 'print-and-play' terrain business for over eleven years, and have successfully delivered seven previous Kickstarter projects, so you can pledge with confidence that we will deliver a high-quality product on time. 

FREE STRETCH REWARDS that will increase the size of the terrain offerings will be available to anyone pledging at the $45 level or higher. Spread the word about this project to your friends and post about it on Facebook, Twitter, Google+, etc., and GET FREE BONUS MODELS as the pledges rise!

A standard wall piece costs around $0.25 in plastic to print yourself, far cheaper than factory-made terrain! All of the models shown were printed at 100-150 micron resolution, a common standard on most economical 3D printers. A really nice starter printer that can print these files starts around $390 (see our F.A.Q. for more info on printers, printing costs, filaments, and more.)

Even if you don't currently own a 3D printer, it benefits you to support this campaign now. You can get all of the free stretch rewards and have a digital library of village terrain ready to go when you do purchase a printer.

All miniatures shown in our video and promotional shots are by Reaper Miniatures (www.reapermini.com

All models were printed on Printrbot Play & Simple 3D printers (www.printrbot.com)

a376cf5c5ecd7ce3eb1aa553aeb27d0d_origina

cb04ce70bdaec85ade52ff9d26db9f6e_originaSample layout built with components from the Cobblestone Streets, Timber Frame Buildings, and Fieldstone Buildings sets.

All components break down for easy storage, and can be combined in a virtually infinite number of designs.

cef0426486be551624d285f836506c3a_originaWalls and posts dovetail link together for secure builds. This system is a derivative of our award-winning E-Z LOCK system, which has been used by thousands of gamers for over ten years.

5d8987fe24d674afb8a8a7bca4cf3579_originaProvisional rendering of the Cobblestone Streets set (final design subject to change).

ae781c3665a08888510f01e3d5ce3ccf_originaRoof panels slide off for easy access to interiors.

fb931960f7e256ee8b271d6b0907161d_originaSample design made with the 'Timber Frame Buildings' set.

1f4fec08242d019b86e40f47d5c588ac_originaTimber Frame Buildings set components (prototype models shown, final sculpting design subject to change).

70264730e9f3b431f252fe97e1f9f59e_originaProvisional rendering of the Fieldstone Buildings set (final design subject to change).

• Like 3

The modular printable models are becoming really interesting these days.

This almost exactly my vision of an ideal modular set.

• Like 2

I'd be all over this if I had a 3D printer.

Someday, just not today....

• Like 3

I'd be all over this if I had a 3D printer.

I have two working printers...

and even my brother, the luddite, has one and manages to print parts.

I'll probably have to pick one of the lowest pledge levels for this KS, though.

• Like 2

<sigh>  The timber frame and fieldstone buildings are awfully tempting, especially with the ruined options.  And, my son has been bugging me about getting a 3D printer.

Ah, wrestling with temptation.   :;):

Ron

• Like 2

I wonder how Dwarven Forge feels about the similarity in design to their cities terrain.

This is based directly on our E-Z LOCK system (base tile has square holes, a corner post is then inserted into those holes, and walls link to the corner posts) which has been around for over a decade now. The only difference is we switched from bobby-pins for linking the walls to the posts to dovetail slots. :)

• Like 1

Just to enable all ya fence sitters, I've used my printer more for household stuff than hobby, which is what I bought it for. Suitcase legs, dishwasher handle end caps, organizational boxes, and other household repairs and goods. Planning to make drawer organizers for the silverware when I get a free moment and a smaller to-do list.

In case you need a non-hobby reason.

• Like 2

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Inarah
      Here's a rundown on how I make quick, cheap trees for tabletop games.  For well under $10 you can have 3 clumps of good looking terrain using commonly available materials. 

What you need:

- glue, white and cyanocrylic (Super Glue)
      - 50mm round bases
      - sand, gravel, or kitty litter
      - craft paints
      - craft brushes
      - wire cutters
      - flock
      - plastic flowers from a hobby craft store, commonly called "stems" or a "bush" if there is  clump of them. Look for something more or less tree like, with branches.  This example is covered with clumps of foam.  They come in various colors depending on the time of year. 

Step one consists of separating each stem of flowers from the clump, discarding the leaves.  Leave the "flower" part attached to the wire stems.   Use wire cutters to trim stems to about 4" long. 

Coil each wire tightly so that it fits on your 50mm base.  Bend and shape each stem so that you can fit 2 or 3 stems on each base.  

Use Super Glue to attach firmly. 

Step two: sand and paint.  The sand helps cover up the wires, and adds a little weight for stability.  It looks best if you paint the base and wires, then glue down sand or gravel (let it dry) and paint a 2nd time.  This gives you good coverage on the base, and on the sand.  

Step three: flock and details.  I already added gravel to make large stones, but you can add more if you want a rocky look.  It sticks best if you glue to the sand before adding flock.

Cover the base with white glue and then apply flocking of your choice. 

Now you can add finer details like grass tufts, flowers, leaves, or colored flock.

I added orange flock to enhance the autumn theme.  My final step was to give the bright grey rocks a little brown wash to make them look more natural. 

• By BLZeebub
      I was cleaning up behind my barn and found this half-buried in the dirt.  Was just on the way to throwing it out when I just couldn't.  So I washed most of the dirt off, and cut a base from scrap plywood I had, and away I go!  I actually have a semi-solid plan.  I want to knock this one out fast, first of all, so maybe it'll get done this year (ideally before spring or even March, but I know how things go).  I want it to evoke a few things without quite indicating any of them.  The Tyrell building from Blade Runner is a big one.  The magitek factory from Final Fantasy VI is another.  But I also want to maintain that primitive temple look--like a Mayan or Aztek pyramid--which the shape itself lends to.  I also want it to appear as though it's either been abandoned or nearly so, and nature has started to retake it.  So lots of pipes and vines and gears (see my initial bits pile) and maybe a surprise if I can keep motivated...  Let me know what you think!

Ha, also noticed my little Narshe cottage in the background--it's nearly complete as far as building.  That'll be for another topic though!

• By Gadgetman!
      https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1662635043/waylaid-by-bandits-volume-2/description

Story
      It was the Baron himself who nailed up the poster in Midlam the town square.
      WANTED:  LADY WILDWOOD and sundry associated gang members - For Murder, extortion, petty theft and highway robbery.  REWARD - 10 Gold Coins for Lady Wildwood and 1 Gold Coin per gang member.
      Speculation and rumour was rife!  Who were these new Bandits that were plaguing Midlam?  Who was the mysterious and dangerous Lady Wildwood? It seemed that the town had been under siege, first from Captain Grief's Gang and then the Hobgoblin Rainding Party, and now this gang of merciless women!
      Bounty hunters muttered in dark corners of Inns, looking for information and squads of Town Guard regularly marched out into the surrounding countryside in their pursuit.  
      But still the robberies and raids continued...
      Waylaid by Bandits Volume Two
      A gang of eleven 28mm scale bandits, thugs and ruffians, lead by the Notorious Lady Wildwood, for all of your fantasy miniature games.
      Waylaid by Bandits Volume One
      You can also, should you wish, include our first bandit gang with your pledge.  Captain Grief's Gang is a series of of eleven 28mm scale bandits, thugs and ruffians, including the original stretch goal 'George the Grind'.  You could then mix and match your bandits or have them as deadly rivals!
      Waylaid by Bandits Volume One  

It's only an 11 day  project, so hury up and back. 
    • By Jasper_the_2nd
      Hey look, yet another Jasper topic.....

But this one is different (I hope).  I actually have a time frame in mind, to get this finished before the end of 2020, and submitted for the annual diorama contest.

I love dioramas, and I've been pretty happy with the few I've made. BUT I always put off getting started and then end up rushing over Christmas to get everything done.
      So this year I'm starting in January (if just barely) so that I will hopefully get some stuff done before December.

I've had the idea for this diorama since the very first moment I saw my first "sneak preview" of Khanjira (that would have been approximately Fri, Oct 25, 2013, 7:57 PM ADT, according to when I got the email from Kickstarter).
      My first though was something like "What a beast! Imagine if he was fighting something from a smaller scale, like CAV...."
      So that has been bouncing around in my head ever since.  
      Then I was messaging with @Pochi a few weeks ago about the contests and got talking about dioramas, and I mentioned this idea, and she said I HAD to do it.....so here we are. 

Basic concept is the classic Kaiju attacking a future city harbour. CAVs (any or all of tanks, vehicles, mechs, infantry, maybe even aircraft) defending. (I briefly considered going even smaller scale as I have quite a bit of 6mm stuff too, but CAVs are easier to work with,  I have about a billion of them, and they are awesome).

Today was a beginning.  I grabbed some stuff and laid it out just to get an idea of a size I'm going to want.

Obviously I just grabbed what was handy to get some scale. Khanjira is represented by my 7 days Khanjira (handy, that ). I plan to try to get him a little more upright, since he won't be on his base and at least his front foot will be "under water". With his pose (which I don't think I have the skill or know how to adjust too much) I'm thinking maybe an elevated highway that he has just crushed to be what his right leg is on.  That or a boat of some sort....we'll see.
      The box is just a reference for the land, glasses are just some buildings.  I'm picturing something similar to the Halifax waterfront with boardwalks or something and docks/jetties (the grey upside down drawer represents) and then big buildings. Army will be in place along the waterfront, so some barricades and stuff. Possibly a trench of energy blasted ruin from the "breath weapon" if I think I can pull that off.  Again, we'll see.
      So just from the mock up, this is going to be fairly massive...like approaching 2 foot kind of dimensions 
      Not something I would do if I was following advice on building award winning dioramas, but then that's not what I'm focusing on.  I just want to make the image in my mind a reality, and I'm using the contest deadline to hopefully focus me.
      I'm also going to have to learn to do a bunch of new stuff for this, which should be fun!

Step one will be to dig out my other Khanjira and start cleaning up up.  And decide on what I'm going to use for a base for this thing.....

• By Standifer
      Since I’m getting close to finishing my trike and mechs I want to try to get some.....bigger projects finished that have been languishing in the U.F.O. (Unfinished Objects) Status for some time now. Here are the ones I’ll be focusing on.
      The bridge. With a 28mm figure for comparison. 

Now fo the other more ambitious pieces. 
      This is going to be a modular fortress. So far I have only two pieces based. Once again more 28mm figures for scale.

And my most ambitious project. It will only be used on a 6x6 area most likely. 

Multiple paths allow access to the top of the mountain. And the top can be removed allowing for battles inside of the mountain.

Thanks for looking!

• Who's Online   22 Members, 1 Anonymous, 31 Guests (See full list)