Sign in to follow this  
SamuraiJack

Thornwatch by Lone Shark Games

About this project
Lone Shark Games and Penny Arcade have combined forces to create the first Eyrewood Adventures Game: Thornwatch!

Thornwatch is a graphic novel adventure that bridges the gap between narrative-driven RPGs and pick-up-and-play board games. Players take on the role of the Thornwatch: sworn guardians within the dangerous, world-spanning magical forest known as the Eyrewood. Each session begins in crisis, when a desperate denizen of the forest ties a knot of thorns around a birch tree and binds the Thornwatch to their aid. Years in the making, this game was originally envisioned by Penny Arcade's Mike Krahulik and Jerry Holkins and is co-designed with Lone Shark's Mike Selinker, Chad Brown, and Rodney Thompson. We present to you: Thornwatch.

bb7e42c9cc9d0ba380e0ad570a9643e0_origina

3a2fe9932ab2b4386a27fa8d0c0d2fd7_origina

Eyrewood Adventures is the culmination of years of creative effort between Penny Arcade, Lone Shark, and their fans. This Kickstarter is for Thornwatch, the first of three expandable games in the Eyrewood Adventures line. The next two games, Lookouts and Daughters, will interlock withThornwatch, so that any game of any of the three is fully compatible with the other two. They revolve around a common engine, described below, but allow for wildly different gameplay experiences.

Thornwatch bestows upon one player the role of the Judge, who enacts the will of the Judging Wood. The Judge selects stories in a choose-your-own-adventure format, allowing the other players—the Thornwatch—to manifest their heroism in the troubled forest. Each member of the Thornwatch is represented by a deck of action cards and trait cards. Players are not locked into playing one role from session to session; rather, it is the knot tied in a tree that helps determine who among the spirits of the forest is best suited to be summoned this day.

The game takes place on one of many possible maps that display forests, swamps, and villages of the Eyrewood. The pawns lay flat, as if the heroes, enemies, and denizens of the forest are characters in a set of comic book panels. It is a visually arresting game, unlike anything we’ve ever made before. When you play Thornwatch, you are inside a story of your own making.  

5dd7897f6869c91c70acb8b1da9adda6_originaModular map tiles (village set) sketch. Art by Mike K, images not final.

The core engine is this: Heroes and enemies all have momentum cards that are laid out on a momentum 

You can play this game right nowThis link will transport you to our print-and-play, which contains all the cards, pawns, and maps necessary to play with a mixture of finished and early art, and a pdf of the rules of play. When you do, please fill out our feedback form, where you can tell us of your experiences in the Eyrewood. We'd love to know how you liked it.  

a7b7a8d3c76a00316d8f2adddb1617b8_origina

While the Thornwatch are the primary focus of this game, each story begins with one very important assumption: a villager has summoned them. So for the Thornwatch to exist, they need villagers. And for the villagers to exist, they need the Thornwatch. With this in mind, we designed this campaign with two types of achievements: building the village and summoning the Thornwatch. 

Building the Village. These achievements will enrich and build our player community. 

Summoning the Thornwatch. These achievements will enhance the game itself. 

bff1c7b559bf48200d3f18a76fe065c5_origina

64b10e336aac7406fccbcbb2b5648132_origina

How it works: Here are our momentum tracks, based on the core engine of the game that tracks initiative and damage. You will see both types of achievements on the tracks. Each Village achievement will be represented by a Villagers momentum card, similar to one you'd find in the game. Each Thornwatch achievement will be represented by a Thornwatch momentum card. For each achievement, the resulting reward will be listed on each card. As these achievements are fulfilled, they will be rotated, and we will refill the track as we go.

40 songs of the Eyrewood: We want our village in the Eyrewood to be full of is beautiful music! Create your own songs inspired by the Thornwatch and the Eyrewood, either using your poems or ours, and submit your upload links to kickstarter at lonesharkgames dot com. Once we receive at least 40 different submissions, we will select our favorites and put them into an album of Eyrewood-inspired music. These tracks will be available to download for free to all backers.

2500 Backers: We will create a new story to play for PAX South. You will receive the pdf of the story as soon as it launches at the convention, and all backers of the physical game will receive a printed copy of the story along with the game when it is shipped.  

3000 Backers: A never before-seen 6th character, the Briarlock, will be introduced and included in the game. More info to come on this character when this is achieved!  

50 Pictures of Unique Knots: Show us an Eyrewood-inspired knot (such as the Knot of Wings) by tweeting with #Thornwatch, and put a link to your tweet or picture in the Kickstarter comments. You don’t have to invent your own knots, just show us a unique knot you like, give it a name, and tell us how you think it would apply to the Eyrewood. After 50 knots, we will unlock a website with a knot-tying guide created for the Eyrewood world, which will be used as rewards in the game. The guide will include types of knots, their Eyrewood lore, and instructions on how to tie them. This guide will be available to all backers for free.

Already achieved:

2000 Backers: Each game will come with an 8-page, full-color comic by Mike Krahulik, Jerry Holkins, and the team.

1500 Backers: We will introduce the first of what we hope to be multiple storyboards created especially for conventions in the next year. Not only will we provide a new story to play at that specific convention, but backers of this Kickstarter will receive a PDF of it when it launches. Our backers of the physical game will receive a printed copy of the story along with the game when it is shipped. These storyboards may be part of a future expansion pack and you'll be among the first to receive them. This first achievement is for the upcoming event at PAX Australia! Yes, this year.

3a2fe9932ab2b4386a27fa8d0c0d2fd7_origina

Eyrewood Adventures is the culmination of years of creative effort between Penny Arcade, Lone Shark, and their fans. This Kickstarter is for Thornwatch, the first of three expandable games in the Eyrewood Adventures line. The next two games, Lookouts and Daughters, will interlock withThornwatch, so that any game of any of the three is fully compatible with the other two. They revolve around a common engine, described below, but allow for wildly different gameplay experiences.

Thornwatch bestows upon one player the role of the Judge, who enacts the will of the Judging Wood. The Judge selects stories in a choose-your-own-adventure format, allowing the other players—the Thornwatch—to manifest their heroism in the troubled forest. Each member of the Thornwatch is represented by a deck of action cards and trait cards. Players are not locked into playing one role from session to session; rather, it is the knot tied in a tree that helps determine who among the spirits of the forest is best suited to be summoned this day.

The game takes place on one of many possible maps that display forests, swamps, and villages of the Eyrewood. The pawns lay flat, as if the heroes, enemies, and denizens of the forest are characters in a set of comic book panels. It is a visually arresting game, unlike anything we’ve ever made before. When you play Thornwatch, you are inside a story of your own making.  

5dd7897f6869c91c70acb8b1da9adda6_originaModular map tiles (village set) sketch. Art by Mike K, images not final.

The core engine is this: Heroes and enemies all have momentum cards that are laid out on a momentum 

You can play this game right nowThis link will transport you to our print-and-play, which contains all the cards, pawns, and maps necessary to play with a mixture of finished and early art, and a pdf of the rules of play. When you do, please fill out our feedback form, where you can tell us of your experiences in the Eyrewood. We'd love to know how you liked it.  

a7b7a8d3c76a00316d8f2adddb1617b8_origina

While the Thornwatch are the primary focus of this game, each story begins with one very important assumption: a villager has summoned them. So for the Thornwatch to exist, they need villagers. And for the villagers to exist, they need the Thornwatch. With this in mind, we designed this campaign with two types of achievements: building the village and summoning the Thornwatch. 

Building the Village. These achievements will enrich and build our player community. 

Summoning the Thornwatch. These achievements will enhance the game itself. 

bff1c7b559bf48200d3f18a76fe065c5_origina

64b10e336aac7406fccbcbb2b5648132_origina

How it works: Here are our momentum tracks, based on the core engine of the game that tracks initiative and damage. You will see both types of achievements on the tracks. Each Village achievement will be represented by a Villagers momentum card, similar to one you'd find in the game. Each Thornwatch achievement will be represented by a Thornwatch momentum card. For each achievement, the resulting reward will be listed on each card. As these achievements are fulfilled, they will be rotated, and we will refill the track as we go.

40 songs of the Eyrewood: We want our village in the Eyrewood to be full of is beautiful music! Create your own songs inspired by the Thornwatch and the Eyrewood, either using your poems or ours, and submit your upload links to kickstarter at lonesharkgames dot com. Once we receive at least 40 different submissions, we will select our favorites and put them into an album of Eyrewood-inspired music. These tracks will be available to download for free to all backers.

2500 Backers: We will create a new story to play for PAX South. You will receive the pdf of the story as soon as it launches at the convention, and all backers of the physical game will receive a printed copy of the story along with the game when it is shipped.  

3000 Backers: A never before-seen 6th character, the Briarlock, will be introduced and included in the game. More info to come on this character when this is achieved!  

50 Pictures of Unique Knots: Show us an Eyrewood-inspired knot (such as the Knot of Wings) by tweeting with #Thornwatch, and put a link to your tweet or picture in the Kickstarter comments. You don’t have to invent your own knots, just show us a unique knot you like, give it a name, and tell us how you think it would apply to the Eyrewood. After 50 knots, we will unlock a website with a knot-tying guide created for the Eyrewood world, which will be used as rewards in the game. The guide will include types of knots, their Eyrewood lore, and instructions on how to tie them. This guide will be available to all backers for free.

Already achieved:

2000 Backers: Each game will come with an 8-page, full-color comic by Mike Krahulik, Jerry Holkins, and the team.

1500 Backers: We will introduce the first of what we hope to be multiple storyboards created especially for conventions in the next year. Not only will we provide a new story to play at that specific convention, but backers of this Kickstarter will receive a PDF of it when it launches. Our backers of the physical game will receive a printed copy of the story along with the game when it is shipped. These storyboards may be part of a future expansion pack and you'll be among the first to receive them. This first achievement is for the upcoming event at PAX Australia! Yes, this year.

Edited by SamuraiJack

Just backed it for a signed copy. I've been keeping a lazy, untrained eye on it since they started talking about it, what, 3 years ago?

I kind of wish I could afford to back for the wooden box version, but while I can float $100, I can't float $350.

• Like 1

Right? Seems like I should have heard about this from them. I guess they did post a small blog piece about it, but I kind of expected a big flashing banner or something next to their M/W/F comic.

Edited by pinkymadigan

Yea, the lack of advertising for it on their site is kind of weird. It seems like Tycho is now including a little tracker widget at the bottom of his news posts, but I'd have expected it to at least be one of the things in the top banner thing where they have videos linked. Seems like that would be a fine space for it, and it's something that a lot of PA fans have been looking forward to since Gabe first decided he was going to make it. I don't think people would care about a link to one of their "First 15" videos being replaced with a link to the kickstarter.

Edited by Unruly

Only 11 hours left. I'm hoping it gets to at least 4750 backers, because I'd like to see the extra terrain cards get included. If it somehow, miraculously, hits 5000 backers and we get more enemy stuff, that'd be awesome too.

Fully funded and finished. It actually broke 5100 backers, so it's packed full of all sorts of extra goodies. Including an already-planned expansion that, depending on how long production takes, might actually be sent out alongside the base game.

Now the waiting game begins.

Edited by Unruly

Seems to be about ready to finally ship, both the core game and expansion. They had actual production copies in play at PAX East, and from what I've read(from the admittedly biased source of Penny Arcade) it went over well. The stuff they've shown as updates and everything looks beautiful, though I never did play the playtest stuff they offered. I always prefer to play the finished versions of stuff if I can, especially when my gaming time is very limited as it has been for the last decade.

I'm now trying to ignore further updates just so it all shows up as a doorstep surprise, but that's going to be hard to do after waiting almost 2 years now.

• Like 2

Delivered today! Or, well, technically yesterday.

I'm really wishing I had got the acrylic pawns now that I've seen the game. Not that the cardboard pawns are junk, but I have a feeling I'm really going to enjoy the game and will want to share it with my niece and nephews. And cardboard doesn't do as well with young children as hard acrylic. So hopefully they sell the acrylics online once fulfillment is finished.

Anyway, here's some pictures of stuff in the boxes!

20180610_030907.jpg

20180610_031734.jpg

20180610_031800.jpg

20180610_031839.jpg

20180610_031904.jpg

20180610_031914.jpg

20180610_031944.jpg

20180610_032001.jpg

20180610_032046.jpg

20180610_032057.jpg

20180610_032455.jpg

20180610_032718.jpg