4ground miniatures?

haldir

Just curious as there is a bunch I'm thinking about getting some but thought maybe someone that has some of their products could weigh in first. Quality? They are pre-painted but curious on how well it's done. Also once they are assembled can you take them apart?

thanks!

• Like 1

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I assume you are talking about the pre-painted terrain?  They do come as unpainted for less $$$ as well.

If so, I love them.  Quality is pretty high as far as mdf terrain goes, minimal space wasted on the sprues, the paint is a good quality and doesn't rub off.

As far as taking them apart once assembled, nope.   Almost everything gets glued together otherwise it doesn't stay together.  Separate levels of buildings can be left unglued but I find this, at least on the ruins to be bothersome.

I have a pretty good thread, well imo anyway, in the terrain section of the forums, sorry I don't know how to link it...

• Like 3

Just curious as there is a bunch I'm thinking about getting some but thought maybe someone that has some of their products could weigh in first. Quality? They are pre-painted but curious on how well it's done. Also once they are assembled can you take them apart?

thanks!

I have assembled several of their western buildings for 28mm minis and I quite like them.

Each level of the building needs to be glued together, but then fit on top of one another so you can remove them and the roof as needed during gameplay or travel. You wouldn't be able to break them down completely so that everything is perfectly flat though.

The painted buildings look good as is, but certainly can be enhanced with a bit of drybrushing and detail work. Basically each lasercut sheet is painted the required solid colour.

EDIT: ninja'd by chaos head.

Edited by Darsc Zacal
  • Like 1

Yup that's them

I'm mainly looking at the smaller accessories stuff like tables & chairs. If anything I can always assemble them at ReaperCon this year. I haven't seen any of the unpainted stuff, but I haven't really looked at the larger buildings (thou what I've glanced at I like as well).

Yup that's them

I'm mainly looking at the smaller accessories stuff like tables & chairs. If anything I can always assemble them at ReaperCon this year. I haven't seen any of the unpainted stuff, but I haven't really looked at the larger buildings (thou what I've glanced at I like as well).

Okay, the accessories are a different story. These are the western pieces I have.

-The wagon: Greatstuff! Really like it. Looks okay as is, detailing would enhance it. Easy to assemble.

-Beds: Look good once assembled. Probably don't need to detail them. Easy to assemble.

-Rectangular dining table: Looks good as is once assembled. The table top has a double line border near the edge so likely wouldn't need painting. Warning though! The legs are tiny separate pieces and are quite fiddly to get glued on to the proper position. Even then they are quite fragile so you have to be careful.

-Chairs: Good God No! Not only are these things super fiddly to glue together properly, they're also light as a feather and very fragile. I will not be getting anymore of these.

I'd say if you're looking to game with these, the tables are good as you can stand the minis around them to mark where they're sitting. The chairs aren't worth the trouble and only get in the way. Basically if it looks like a piece might be tiny and fiddly, then it most likely is.

I also have signposts, hitching posts, troughs, but those are more solid pieces. I have some cabinets and/or counters which I haven't assembled yet.

Hope this helps.

How big are the table tops? (ie do they look appropriate size for Reaper & prepainted miniatures?

Damn the chairs are something I'm really looking at. Hmmm I may still get a set & see if for myself but I'll keep it in mind.

While browsing ebay tonight I came across a small wagon. While I have a cardstock wagon ready to be cut out I may take a chance with that one. A few embellishments on it & I think I may have "Magical Maggie's" Wagon for We B4 Goblins.

With this being my first run of Wb4G I'll probably hold off on a few of the extra items I'd like to have but nice for future runs of the adventure.

• Like 1

IMG_1831_zpsdaabaz9n.jpg

IMG_1830_zpsnegiq8sd.jpg

Tables and chairs are sold separately. I can't recall exactly which sets these were.

Also, you can see in the pics just how difficult it was for me to line the legs up correctly. When I get other tables I'll definately be looking for a simpler leg or better yet a pedestal support design.

Edited by Darsc Zacal
  • Like 2

Also, the smaller elements don't seem to be mdf, which I believe is a pressed wood. They seem to be made out of pressed paper, for when they break, they break more like cardboard than like plywood. And if these come in contact with the average gamer, they will break.

Also the tables don't seem sturdy enough to have a non-bones mini stand on it. I've had paper model tables that were stronger than these.

My favorite furniture though is probably the shelf unit.

Halber

• Like 1

Thank you for the examples.

Nice to see the product outside their product page.

I have a paper chair pdf but it's 1 per page (it was free on drivethru). If I can figure out how to duplicate it to fill up a page I'll prob go with that or keep looking on drivethru.

• Like 1

Their Flames of War compatible buildings look fantastic.  A bit pricey, but still less than the resin battlefront buildings, which are a lot harder to get and don't look nearly as nice.  You have to go under silhouettes for the unpainted stuff.

Also, anyone buying direct from them should be aware that at the free shipping price threshold it automatically upgrades you to UPS worldwide... and depending on where you live, this may be less an upgrade and more a hideously complicated ordeal of pain and torment, replete with tortures imaginative and diverse.

This is why I will be buying BELOW that threshold in the future.  Normal mail may be a lot slower, but it's better than OOOPS by a long shot. 

• Like 5

Also, anyone buying direct from them should be aware that at the free shipping price threshold it automatically upgrades you to UPS worldwide... and depending on where you live, this may be less an upgrade and more a hideously complicated ordeal of pain and torment, replete with tortures imaginative and diverse.

Good to know. I have not ordered directly, but had been considering it. I am very much NOT a fan of UPS.

My buildings so far have been bought through a FLGS. Prices aren't too bad but if I special order something the wait can be rather lengthy.

My purchases would be from online retailers that I've dealt with numerous times so I'm not worried about shipping.

In my search for some new paper models I did come across some chairs. A Little small but they also look more realistic (being that it looks like you can stick 2 per 1 inch square). Also found some dungeon dressings as well. ::):