Sign in to follow this  
TheAuldGrump

[Pathfinder, TSR] Village of Hommlet or Secret of Bone Hill?

As our excursion to The Keep on the Borderlands wrap up, I have been looking to continue adventures that my good lady, and some of our friends, have never experienced.

I had been thinking of running The Village of Hommlet - but the problem with that is that at least one player might expect that to feed into The Temple of Elemental Evil, which is not a campaign that I have any urge to run. (ToEE is the only adventure where I felt that the sequel - 'Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil - was an improvement over the original.)

So, I started looking at alternatives - Secret of Bone Hill being one (I will need to trade in the wraith for a ghost, but otherwise it works), which leads to The Assassin's Knot, Deep Dwarven Delve, and Devilspawn.

Another old favorite - The Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh - has been disqualified because at least one of my players has been through it, and she has been... generous... with the details. ::P: (I ran it at a summer program when she was about 11 years old - she was the one that figured out what was going on.)

So, just let folks know that T1 will not lead to the rest of the Temple or run L1 instead, letting it lead to adventuring for a while in Restenford?

The Auld Grump

Can always use Hommlet as a village, and run the moathouse as a side trip at some point....

(Just file off the serial numbers.... :devil: )

(And I never knew that there were 2 more adventures in the Bone hill set.... ebay....)

Are you playing in Greyhawk?

Cult of the Reptile God (N1?)was a good 1st level adventure as well....

Rahasia (B7?) was loads of fun

Palace of the Silver Princess....

In the Forgotten Realms, Under Illefarn was really good as well....

Edited by knarthex
  • Like 2

Not Greyhawk - but it could be, just as easily. (In that hazy\1e version of Greyhawk where all that really mattered are the parts that show up in the adventure.)

Greyhawk still makes me think of that period of time where Gygax started getting a little crazy. (The only OFFICIAL AD&D adventures are in Greyhawk. Only Gygax can write OFFICIAL Greyhawk adventures. Therefor Only Gygax can write OFFICIAL AD&D adventures....)

The Auld Grump - my OFFICIAL stance on the matter was 'Sod OFFICIAL for a game of soldiers'.)

I had been thinking of running The Village of Hommlet - but the problem with that is that at least one player might expect that to feed into The Temple of Elemental Evil, which is not a campaign that I have any urge to run. (ToEE is the only adventure where I felt that the sequel - 'Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil - was an improvement over the original.)

Blasphemy!  Return to the ToEE was simply wrong-headed and hideous.  Monte Cook should have been flogged like a mule and then deported to Pakistan for writing that up.

I'd run Hommlet with a few changes (ie. the name) to steer your players in the right direction, BTW.

The Egg

I have a lot of the old modules, being an old DM, but I believe I only have Secret of Bone Hill and The Assassins Knot from the L series which I thought were good. Unless TSR gave the latter modules and different lettering system, I don't have them. The other names don't ring a bell though.

Having said that, since you have the whole series and assuming that you believe it to be a good adventure, that's the one I'd go with.

I'd think it less likely for players to have any familiarity with it too.

This thread is very timely for me as I've only just played my first game of Pathfinder while at PAX this past weekend and a FLGS just happened to have the starter box for a decent price and I was wondering how well the old TSR modules would transfer over to the Pathfinder rule set.

Edited by Darsc Zacal

Updating the old modules to Pathfinder or 3.5 generally isn't particularly hard, although you often need to replace some of the monsters outright with other creatures, rather than just adjusting their numbers or updating them to the latest set of stats in order to replicate the original level of difficulty and feel of the fights. The monsters are generally the biggest part of the necessary revisions, with the rest of it being mainly adjusting the treasure or magic items received.

You might start a thread over on ENWorld to see which modules have already been converted by others - I know a fair number have been updated to 3.5, which makes it trivially easy to convert to Pathfinder. The hard part is tracking down those conversions as they're unfortunately not compiled anywhere that I know of.

• Like 1

Since my curiosity was piqued, I posted a thread over on ENWorld to see if anybody knows or can remember if there are conversions of any of the old modules floating around the 'net.

• Like 2

L1 was always a favorite of mine.  generally I'd run it for 1st level characters giving them the in town mini quests first, before moving to adventures outside of town, and finally the keep last.

Run Hommelet but write your own Temple Of Elemental Evil?

Make it a near total ruin. Keep the few rooms you liked if there were any...reduce it to a minor dungeon crawl, instead of a major one.

...then inward (onward ? Inland?) to Bone Hill.

• Like 2

Hmm, one thing I hadn't thought of - a Brute - vigilante character in a village... is not going to see that many opportunities for being a vigilante....

Sad thing is that they have already had their first encounter (the ubiquitous 'minor encounter on the road' - because bandits or goblins can be dropped in anywhere).

Only one of the PCs have discovered the vigilante's Brute form (encounter engineered that way - the Brute's player is her husband - it will be fun for them to keep the secret together, from the bad guys and/or the rest of the party*).

Another possibility is to change gears and run one of my own old adventures - A Tree Grows in Aidentaugh - I wrote that way back around 1981. (The titular 'tree' is a triple gallows that has recently been built in the town square... in a town that has a population of fewer than 10,000....) Which means one more encounter on the road (a haunted crossroads, with a month old corpse hanging from an apple tree).

The Auld Grump - the town can't use the tree for hangings anymore - it's haunted....

* Ack! Romance! I blame Megan....

Can always use Hommlet as a village, and run the moathouse as a side trip at some point....

(Just file off the serial numbers.... :devil: )

(And I never knew that there were 2 more adventures in the Bone hill set.... ebay....)

Are you playing in Greyhawk?

Cult of the Reptile God (N1?)was a good 1st level adventure as well....

Rahasia (B7?) was loads of fun

Palace of the Silver Princess....

In the Forgotten Realms, Under Illefarn was really good as well....

L3 was part of the 20th Anniversary set, and L4 is only available as a free download on Dragonsfoot, along with a Restenford gazetteer - and while I was hunting up the link, I just discovered that there is now an L5... when the heck did that happen?

I love L1, but the story behind its making is just plain weird - if I remember properly, Len Lakofka was paid $11,000 for around 10,000 words... and Erol Otus deliberately gave the back cover bad art in protest....

I am pretty sure that I am trying to talk myself into running Bone Hill....

The Auld Grump - if only so that I have excuse to look at L5....

Not know the levels... what about the A-Series... regarding the slave lords? I had almost all the original D&D and AD&D modules up thru 1996... and then the box disappeared in a move around 2000.

"L5" appears to be a "mini-campaign area" set of three books... No idea how well it ties into the earlier ones...

Edited by Mad Jack
  • Like 1