Hasslefree Miniatures kickstarter

Smokestack

• Replies 500
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

One issue with 'translating' pin-up art into minis is that you need to take casting into consideration.

While a sword is normally a few mm up to maybe 12mm(1/2") thick in real life, it would be impossible to cast at 1:56 scale. (28mm minis are roughly 1:56 scale if I remember correctly)

The same goes for small 'features' such as fingers, ears, jewelry and so on.

In addition there's practicality. In one pose you may need to part up the mini to be able to cast it. Buy a small change in posture may remove that issue.

(Multi-part casts tends to be more expensive both to create and to cast)

And then there's the plain impossible parts of a drawing such as (semi)transparent clothing...

Faces we can do better with, the only one done so far, the Bard was a proof of concept that we weren't strict enough with. We 'may' redo it, it's always hard to rip the head off a finished mini, but it's currently a possibility so we're keeping the painted ones in-house until it's decided.

The biggest issue that simply can't be translated is Matt's feathered hairdo's.  We can try for a little more .. messy, but Matt draws a lot of women with tiny bits of hair poking out all over the place, adds to the cuteness level but physically impossible to cast.

Some changes are inevitable, but we're hoping the first finished sculpt since the KS has been fully decided on will put some people's minds at ease :)

(Oh, and only 2 more companions I'm afraid, none of the extra art has any sorry, but the Snow Leopard and the Hunter Demon are both being worked on. They will become Stretch Goals once we have an approved WIP).

Edited by Artemis Black
  • Like 9

I can't wait to see the hunter demon, the mini really needs her demon IMO :)

I'm gonna have to figure out what to pledge for after I get back from vacation.

HF resin is so amazing to paint, I wasn't planning on going big into this one and now I am reconsidering *sigh*

• Like 2

I can't wait to see the hunter demon, the mini really needs her demon IMO :)

I'm gonna have to figure out what to pledge for after I get back from vacation.

HF resin is so amazing to paint, I wasn't planning on going big into this one and now I am reconsidering *sigh*

Tre Manor is doing the demon, he has made a start but is waiting for a dolly to arrive so he can size it correctly.

Plenty of time to decide yet, and hopefully a few more characters to consider too :)

• Like 4

Oh yeah!  I liked the dino, but the hunter demon was a bit higher on my want list.  Or maybe I should say oh no instead, since it means bumping my pledge.  Curse you people and your insufferable ways.  It's like you're trying to make this Kickstarter even better.  The nerve. 

Lucky for me there are no more males scheduled to make it in.  Yeesh.

• Like 2

I am loving the anatomy and the classical sculptural feel of these models. The sculptor has developed a truly sensitive hand for the human form in motion.

I reckon I can paint the faces as I please.

• Like 5

I am loving the anatomy and the classical sculptural feel of these models. The sculptor has developed a truly sensitive hand for the human form in motion.

I reckon I can paint the faces as I please.

I've been crowing about Kev's progress in anatomy a lot lately. He's really upped his game and I love his process with the whole dolly/nude/clothed thing, which also carries over to his resin master/resin/metal release scheme, too.
  • Like 5