Hasslefree Miniatures kickstarter

Smokestack

What! Short-shorts bard is one of my favorites! Probably 'cause I've worn that goofy shorts+boots combo several times without thinking about it. XD I need Summer Bard and Winter Shaman in my life. I also need Winter Princess and Skyclad Archer....

Her face though. Maybe it's the angle? On the left photo, her face looks too long. In the middle, it looks amazing! On the right, the eyes look super close together....

Edited by Morihalda

• Replies 500
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Eh, think I'm out on this one. Nothing inspiring me so far--doesn't stand up to their stuff that's wowed me in the past.

Of what's there now, will think about one of the bards, despite her goofy shorts. Are those renders or sculpts of her or what, though? Her face is kind of bugging me.

Yeah, her face really bugs me too. Concept art shows a more bubbly face with a bit of a pug nose, but the figure is longer in the face and really gives her a different personality. It makes me question the other results.

I really wanted to back this.

At last! I just could 'not' remember my account details :)

Right, let's see what I can do here to answer these questions...

1. Thanks everyone for the plugging, compliments and support :)

2. Balgin is correct, we have basically leapfrogged the Sci-Fi set Kickstarter as we are still yet to find a financially viable approach, always 'so close, yet so far' and it was long past time to run one.

3. Sorry it's the same time as Bombshells, it's been delayed twice (due to Brexit and a bereavement in Matt's family), couldn't delay again.

4. It's very much supposed to represent a mic stand :) In our fantasy world that I'm working on behind the scenes, Bards use them like modern rock stars.

5. 'Thick chicks' is somewhat of a speciality

6. I am going to ignore all of the Disney talk, purely coincidental!

7. If we have 'casting issues' the whole world has gone to stuff :) There's nobody better than our resin and metal guys.

8. Skyclad Shayda will match her art, it's the Winterone which will change. She's a bit too pin-up for the winter costume, expect her to be slightly more armoured and slightly more stern and not doing the 'needs a pee' pin up stance :D

9. Matthias da Brum akak 'Skinny Dude with Abs' will in fact also be a completely different mini. The one Kv is working on right now is the dolly, not the Skyclad. He will be finished as a naked guy with short hair, a naked duellist and then a clothed duellist, all released as normal through the site :) Recycling!

10. He's an artist not a mini painter :)

11. There will be no other guys in the KS, we are doing more via normal releases though.

12. We are aware of the difference in the Bard's face, it is a cross between actually being different and photography angle. She has a bit of a duck pout and the Winter version was meant to be a more 'normal' face rather than the cutesy pin up. Kev is a bit of a perfectionist so you'll undoubtedly see more cutesy faces on the others where relevant :)

See the attached image for a sneak peek at the painted versions ...

• Like 13

I love Kev's work but a lot of his faces look the same and the bard looks like the typical Kev face.

That's one of the reasons I am waiting to see more sculpts, I want to see if they keep the expression/faces from the art (as well as the proportions- the sculpt of the chick with the tryke looked a bit skinner than the art IMO)

• Like 4

Matt tends to draw faces with high foreheads, low-placed eyes, and short noses.

Kev tends to sculpt people with longer noses, which places the eyes higher and makes the forehead shorter.

That's been my observation, anyway.

• Like 1

I love Kev's work but a lot of his faces look the same and the bard looks like the typical Kev face.

That's one of the reasons I am waiting to see more sculpts, I want to see if they keep the expression/faces from the art (as well as the proportions- the sculpt of the chick with the tryke looked a bit skinner than the art IMO)

^This. I like so many of Kev's minis from the neck down. The long faces stopped me from ordering a lot of his otherwise excellent models. I love the art though. Keeping my hopes up for The Trooper.

"Why the long faces", asked the bard with a long thin, rather than a short wide nose.

I think it's weird. It has successfully stopped me from backing 'blind'; if I want Kev White doing straight-up Kev White, there already is an extensive range for that.

Unfortunately on a 3mm face there's only so much you can do and most sculptors have 'a face', Kev does, Tre does, Werner does and so on. Matt's faces are super tiny and cute, making them even more difficult to sculpt as they run the risk of the detail being so shallow it's barely there.

That said, Kev is aware of it and we'll see what happens with the next one :) 

Edited by Artemis Black
  • Like 7