Sign in to follow this  
Clearman

Painting at Reapercon?

I haven't been to Reapercon since 2012, back when it was still at the factory.  That stop was a whirlwind as I was just passing through during a larger trip so I don't remember if there were painting stations.

Now that I'm able to return, and will be staying the full 4 days, I'd like to bring a some models to work on and practice techniques learned during classes.  Will there be areas available to paint?  What should I bring besides models and brushes?

Who else is in this boat? 

• Like 1

I haven't been to Reapercon since 2012, back when it was still at the factory.  That stop was a whirlwind as I was just passing through during a larger trip so I don't remember if there were painting stations.

Now that I'm able to return, and will be staying the full 4 days, I'd like to bring a some models to work on and practice techniques learned during classes.  Will there be areas available to paint?  What should I bring besides models and brushes?

Who else is in this boat? 

We're going to need a ReaperCon Survival Kit thread.

Experienced visitor input welcomed.

• Like 1

Yes there are tables set up for painting. Yes Reaper provides paint (a huge rack when I was there a couple of years ago).

I recommend that you bring any off brand or limited edition paints that you must have, your brushes and any specific minis you want to practice on. You will be getting mini from classes swag bags and events. Some people bring portable ott-lights. If you like a specific palette bring that; in the past Reaper has provide squares of wax paper and foam plates. I like my wet and well palette.

• Like 4

Yes there are tables set up for painting. Yes Reaper provides paint (a huge rack when I was there a couple of years ago).

I recommend that you bring any off brand or limited edition paints that you must have, your brushes and any specific minis you want to practice on. You will be getting mini from classes swag bags and events. Some people bring portable ott-lights. If you like a specific palette bring that; in the past Reaper has provide squares of wax paper and foam plates. I like my wet and well palette.

Pretty much had that typed out before my tab went belly up. ::):

Just don't bring a airbrush ::D:

• Like 1

Note on the paints - there is one rack, with four or so of each colour. I don't think the number of the paints provided has increased commensurate with the increase in attendees and artists. (The rack is kept at Reaper HQ for use of paint club the rest of the year, and I don't know that there's storage for additional racks/paints there the rest of the year.) So if you have room, you might want to bring a small set of essentials. (White, black, and popular colours can get scarce, fast.) There are usually a few people who bring a fair kit of stuff, and most people at RC are pretty friendly and open to sharing, so if you are packing light, look out for a spot near someone with lots of stuff and see if you can share. 

Paint class rooms will have their own stock of paint for use in classes, so you don't have to worry about that. 

I'd also bring anything else you consider a 'must have' to paint. There are usually water cups included in the swag bag or you can rinse out a drink cup from lunch or something, but stuff like handles to put your minis on, battery operated lights, stuff like that.

• Like 4