re-building my paint set; Reaper/Vallejo/Army Painter discussion

Cassu

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Firstly, sorry you lost all your stuff. Secondly, hurray for getting started back up. Thirdly, nice paint choices. Fourthly, scale 75 metallics are the bees knees. I highly recommend picking some up. Ya gotta shake the bejesus out of the, though. Like when you think you've shaken the, ebpnough and your arms going to fall off...shake them some more. Fifthly, I'm definetly a Reaper fan girl for all other types of paint. Sixthly, add some liners to that order, you won't regret it. They are like magic for priming bones minis. Magic I tells ya.

• Like 6

Oh yes, I (somehow) ended up with a few bottles of Walnut Brown and loved it so much, especially after Buglips' amazing discovery of covering your Bones in a Walnut Brown wash to make the details pop before painting.

I'm afraid that Walnut Brown, although great on metal minis, doesn't work well on Bones at all.

Buglips discovered that. He also discovered that Brown Liner is the magic paint that sticks to Bones and makes everything else work.

Like Doug, I mostly use Golden Matte Fluid Acrylics. But I am almost on my second bottle of Brown Liner. It's that useful.

• Like 6

Also, since I haven't mentioned it in other threads, my heart goes out to you. I hate when bad things happen to good people, especially when it's a person doing bad things. The upside is, you have been given a good life lesson to grow from and things are going to be awesome!

One more paint note for the future: my metallic of choice is Vallejo Model Air.

• Like 6

Paint wise, any non-metallics Reaper!!! But, I love Vallejo metallics. Sorry reaper, but I hate the metallic paint they make it always seems grainy.

So, the issue with Reaper metals is that they have grains larger than other brands?  That is a shame since I've had mostly positive experiences with the MSPs I've used to date.  If that's the whole issue, it seems like it would be pretty easy to fix, which makes me wonder why they haven't.  May need to inquire with Vaitalla.

Anne is working with new pigments for the Reaper metals. They have shown marked improvement over the years.

• Like 6

I've picked up a few brands over the years, so I'll give you my opinions.

Vallejo Model Color – a very extensive line of paints that covers a lot of colors. It works great for techniques such as layering. The downside that everyone mentions is their fragility. Definitely seal anything that will be handled. Some of their pigments are really bad about separating so you might want to look into a mechanical aid of some type unless you really like shaking your paints. Their glaze medium is really handy to have around.

Vallejo Game Color – A much smaller line of paint designed to be sturdier for gaming. In my experience they do hold up better, but some of the paints aren't as nice to work with. That's not to say that all of them are bad; for example the GC “heavy†paint set uses the Model Color formulation , but overall it is their weakest line. Speaking of the good stuff, Vallejo's ochre is a nice base for yellows and golds.

Vallejo Game Ink – Pretty standard colors. They dry very gloss.

Scalecolor (original formulation) – A very tight range of paints, but what there is is really nice. The paint is super matte, but also handles differently than other hobby paint so there is a bit of a learning curve with it. At first they are a pain to shake (I recommend adding an agitator) but once they've been used a bit and get some air in the bottle they mix pretty well. I've found that when painting with them I can't be as aggressive as I can with Vallejo. Paint that looks just dry tears pretty easily. Because the line is very focused you will need to mix these paints on your pallet to achieve some intermediate shades.

Reaper – I use Reaper paints mostly for skin and haven't purchased much beyond that. Overall a good line, but limited in some areas because they avoid certain pigments.

I'm curious as to what pigments you think Reaper avoids?

Some of my favorites:

• Walnut Brown
  • Brown Liner
  • Ghost White
  • Linen White
  • Leather White
  • Aged Bone
  • Yellowed Bone
  • Rosy Skin (or Bright Skin)
  • Ruddy Leather
  • Olive Green

The ScaleColor metallics are my favorite metallics so far though the Army Painter ones are pretty good too.

Ron

Ron

I also love the vallejo model air metallics, especially chrome which is super shiny.  Otherwise I completely use reaper or golden fluid acrylic paints.

Sorry about lost paint.  Are you coming to reapercon?  I have a bunch of promo colors I can bring if you want them.  Just PM me especially if you have a request and I'll bring it!

oh- edit- the same goes for any bones you want.  I splurged during the kickstarters so I have some extras.  If you want something, tell me!

Edited by Corporea
  • Like 6

Thought I should mention that the Reaper Bones metallic paints are much nicer than the standard MSP ones. They are shinier, stay in suspension better and just plain look good. I can't compare them to Scale 75 because I haven't tried them yet, but they beat P3 and Vallejo Game/Model color in my opinion. (Haven't tried Vallejo Air, either, to be 100% fair.)

And welcome back, Cassu. I hope life has only awesome things in store for you! ^_^

• Like 6

Reaper Triads are where it's at. I like to have a theme to my paints and since the triads are usually the same coloration they are not far off. I tend to put a triangle on the triads and a matching number in that triangle so I know these 3 bottles are/were a triad. 

I mark my metallics with a Majin Bo "M" just... cause... LOL. 

I have about 98% Reaper paints, about 5 GW (which i'm phasing out cause I detest their paint wells) and about 4 VJ, now. I use to have A LOT MORE before I made the switch. I dont mind VJ paints but they tend to cloud up and it seems to be hit or miss if they will be consistent or thin paint... and no amount of shaking changes it... i've tried. 

I want to try Scale Metallic's one day but I would say Reaper is the one I am familiar with and it has proven to be the best fit in all categories all the way around. 

I like Reapers label better than VJ although I wish they had color on them. I would pay extra per bottle for that... Well, I say that now... LOL.

Edited by Arc 724
  • Like 4