Sign in to follow this  
Morihalda

Mori's ReaperCon WIP - Snow!

So way back, y'all probably remember that I got all excited about snow globes. Yeah. I haven't tested any of those materials. I started sealing my test pieces and kept seeing terrifying warnings everywhere. So the water part is on hold, but pleeease add to that post if you have any waterproof suggestions! ^_^

Here's my sketch for it. I'm unsure about the fence. I'm hoping that running it next to the little guy in the front will lead you to the middle so they feel connected. I've been watching some art videos and they said that guiding your viewer's eye is important! I think I will -not- cross the bars on the fence. Then the fence will go in an easy direction to the middle of the globe without your eye stopping to figure out the X's. Save the detail for the "focal point," right? ::D: I've also got to figure out which side the slanted end of the fence should be.

I'd also like to sculpt in little things on the side, like an empty mug of hot chocolate or a scarf, excitedly cast aside when the friends decided to make a snowman! Maybe add some teeny little pawprints in the snow....

If I have time, I'd like to add in a surprise.... ::):

0pS3GoT.jpg?1

Here they were as of last Friday! Over the weekend I cleaned and primed them. The snowman got some green stuff on his head because those mold lines were tough. I've started a basic ring of air dry clay on the base. It should be dry today and I can keep building it up.

Y2geGPp.jpg?3

Next, the color scheme. I tried to color some ideas in a few weeks ago, but it's been difficult to not accidentally copy parts of the amazing one featured in the store. I end up adding too much yellow and green.... :S

• Like 16

This looks like it's going to be adorably-amazing! 

Thank you for linking to your discovery period of the piece. I was actually just wondering about the globes and where to get them. I'm looking forward to seeing more! 

Thanks for sharing.

• Like 1

To fill the snow globe I'd use mineral oil (its a laxative available at any drug store) It is thicker than water so it will make the snow have a nice slow falling effect. It also should not strip the paint off the minis. Since the mini will be submerged, I'd recommend dipping the minis in urethane used for sealing wood available at the hardware store. and letting it harden (3-5days)

• Like 2

To fill the snow globe I'd use mineral oil (its a laxative available at any drug store) It is thicker than water so it will make the snow have a nice slow falling effect. It also should not strip the paint off the minis. Since the mini will be submerged, I'd recommend dipping the minis in urethane used for sealing wood available at the hardware store. and letting it harden (3-5days)

Thanks! ::D: I'll add that to my testing list in the other thread! I was puttering around with silicone-based sealants for marine work, since it would stay full submerged. Mineral oil is on my list ::):

Edit: :O It looks like it was on my suggested list but it was striked out because of the cost. Do you have any brand suggestions?

Edited by Morihalda
  • Like 2

The mineral oil they sell at the chain drug stores is $6 for 16oz which should be enough for a snow globe. (based on the picture) I know any oil based sealer will be compatible (anything that says clean up with paint thinner/acetone)

The mineral oil they sell at the chain drug stores is $6 for 16oz which should be enough for a snow globe. (based on the picture) I know any oil based sealer will be compatible (anything that says clean up with paint thinner/acetone)

Sorry, I wasn't clear! I already had mineral oil and glycerin purchased for testing. The question about brands for "it" was for the urethane - any sealers I found were prohibitively expensive because the containers are so large.

• Like 1

Sorry, I wasn't clear! I already had mineral oil and glycerin purchased for testing. The question about brands for "it" was for the urethane - any sealers I found were prohibitively expensive because the containers are so large.

Ah. When i checked the home improvement stores you can get a quart ofinwax Polyurethane for about $10

• Like 2

I was having trouble trying to get a color scheme that didn't look too "schoolkid" without copying the one in the shop. I was getting sad that I couldn't make a black and purple hat work without it being too dark.

But dark isn't a bad thing.... :;): I can't help it, everything turns Halloween in the end! And a big thank you to Guindyloo, who helped me refine the idea!

Mr Snowman lost his face and twigs. They'll be replaced with Jack Skellington's skull head and long arms. The mouslings will be colored to resemble the 3 trick-or-treaters: Lock, Shock, and Barrel.

I do regret chopping down the hat. I was going to make it taller like in the movie, but the ribbon and the holly would have been a good touch. ::(: I need to add another layer to it.

The lone mousling will be Shock, so I cut the puffball off and shaped it into a witch's hat. ::):

Still adding bits at a time to the snow base....

1vPJfRE.jpg?1

• Like 7

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Morihalda
      This thread is brought to you by the number 3!

Table of Contents:
      - Mori Tells a Story: Below
      - Rambling, Part 3: Throughout
      - Mannequin: Completed
      - Kiara: 1: Design, 2: Workflow and Blockout, 3: Finished Blockout,
      - Amaya:

2020 was STILL spent on my brain and learning, even if my hands wouldn't let me practice it.
      Between my arms getting worse and *gestures broadly in 2020,* that didn't leave much energy for socializing either.
      But now that I have fixed arms, I'm excited to pace myself get my butt into the art chair! Wooo! Nevermind, my arms are still dying and the doctor said I have to pace myself.
      As much as I would like to continue with green stuff sculpting, I just can't sculpt physically as long as I can digitally. So for now, digital practice it is!

While I couldn't actually *do* anything with the information I learned over the last year and a half, I took tons of notes and tried to reread them when I could.
      I'm happy to list the videos and books if folks are interested. :)
    • By Lord of the Dish Pit
      It seems 2021 is to be the year of the "painting blehs", where many of us are struggling to find out just where our inspiration has wandered off to. The world seems to be going increasingly mad each passing day, so this isn't surprising. With so much uncertainty about, it's difficult to get back into painting mode with so many other things to worry over. 
      Last year I was knocked out of any steady routine for long periods of time, and it appears that for this year that may hold true as well. So how to adapt is the question here. To begin with, to recognize how I wound up with a horde of half finished minis on the table nagging at me. Simple, for the last few years I've had the tendency to bite off far more than I can chew on a regular basis. Between juggling Undead, Witch Hunters, and the Witch/Halloween army, I've put myself in a place where I'm dealing with units on a regular basis, and using pretty much the same palette on all of them. Don't get me wrong, the limited palette achieves what look I'm going for with everything and I'm still just as much in love with all of my factions as I was when I started them, but like with all things there are consequences. My habit of opening a blister of something new to try and feed the motivation also doesn't help me here.
      Humans are to a greater or lesser extent novelty seeking creatures. Although I fall into the far end of lesser, sooner or later it catches up. Also part of why I fell into the current structure is logistical, I've lost the knack of small pours, and have a horror of wasting paint, so limiting colors to what can be spread far in the case of overspill makes sense. 
      Another contributing factor is that having learned the hard way with drawing, I cannot and will not try to "force it" when it comes to artistic projects. All well and good, but it leaves me in a position where as soon as the muse decides to hide beneath the sofa, the project comes to a screeching halt whether it be painting or writing. 
      So what to do about this now? 
      Goal setting in the loosest possible sense of the word. Overall objective is to clear everything off of the table before unblistering or opening anything else. I've been doing good here, so it's just a matter of keeping this up.
      Outside of my faction projects, these are what's staring at me...

Barbarian Mouslings...

Viking Mouslings...

Eastern Mouslings...

Drangus the Duck Knight, meant as a Christmas gift two years in the running now, saving grace is that the recipient has no clue about this.

Zombie Dragon, also meant as an unexpected gift. The snag here is that this is the first full size dragon I've ever attempted so scale got intimidating quickly and that I was having a difficult time trying to figure out what was rotted flesh and what was muscle. Gluing the wings on this early didn't do me any favors either. I have another one still in it's package that is destined for my undead army, so hopefully by tackling this one I can have an easier time when it comes up in rotation.

Even here it's obvious as to how I go strongly with theme, even in my "random" minis. Since I tend to try and paint as large a batch as possible, with this the solution might be to focus on one or two, finishing them before moving on, even though my brain is going to screaming at me otherwise. 

• By Morihalda
      Wooo! Since I have arms again, I can paint again!

I know it can be more difficult to get better blends on larger surfaces, but some semblance of brush control seems more important to get back first. That seems easier to do with larger areas first. And I've been dying to work on this piece for years, so it all works out!

These bookends were a gift from a friend a couple years ago. He was moving across the country and entrusted his more fragile Lord of the Rings pieces to me. I loved it. It's a Weta Workshop/Sideshow Collectible titled, "No Admittance."

Bookends in their well-loved, gifted state and after a *very* good dusting last week!

Primed a couple days ago! The weather has been kinda meh for priming so this is the best it's gonna get haha.

I put some color on this morning! Reaper paints, of course. I grabbed The Hobbit audiobook from my library's app, so I'm very excited to cozy up with a good book and get to painting this winter!

(Current time excluding prep: 1.5 hours)

Bah. I'm gonna have to edit this later so Gandalf stays on the right side throughout my photos!
      Edit: You know, I think he looks better on the left. Then you can see both faces properly when turned.
    • By minibart
      Some mouselings having fun in the snow :)

• By Morihalda
      I apologize for not being on the forums (or doing art) so much lately! Between "2020," a new house, and my arm problems, I lost a lot of drive. Kinda hard to keep up the discipline of practicing and/or enjoying art when you physically can't do it....

We finally saved up enough to get my right arm looked at in late September. I've only mentioned it a few times, but I've had problems in both hands for several years. I already couldn't do too much each day, but back in March my right elbow began to be in severe daily pain too. I couldn't do anything at all for seven months.

My doctor listened (!), called for a test that we were able to do right away, and confirmed that I had pinched nerves in both arms. He said it likely happened when I was a kid and that's why I've had all those other misdiagnosed issues for so many years! Within 10 days, he performed the surgery on both elbows.

I couldn't do anything for another month except pout on the couch LOL but I am finally cleared for all activities again! My hand strength is half of what it should be and it will take some time, but I have a list of exercises to fix that. He also set me up with another doctor who will look at my back problems in a couple weeks. Maybe I'll be able to start running around again too! I miss nature!

I promised the doctor I would take it slow. But! I'm so excited to be back here with everyone for art and friend time!

So how are you all holding up?? I've missed well over 400 pages in the Randomness thread!
  • Who's Online   15 Members, 0 Anonymous, 38 Guests (See full list)