Ludo

ReaperCon Survival Kits

My Reapercon loadout was:

Messenger bag:

Tablet (electronic; for notes, pics, reference, etc - I didn't have a smart phone back then)

Notepad

Brush tote (a zippered canvas tote for brushes, pens, pencils, etc)

Earbuds

Chargers

Snacks (Kind bars, mostly)

Collapsible cooler:

Solid freeze packs

Soda (I drink a lot of diet cokes...)

Tablewar case:

Painted minis

WIPs

Various Bones

Tools and misc things in a drawer

I mostly left the case in the room, which would be more difficult with a separate venue. Not sure I'd want it knocked around on a cart with my display minis. Also, I only painted in classes, so I didn't bring any paint, palettes, etc.

• Like 3

Wow this is all good information. :) 

-- a good attitude, if you're not having fun go home, or at least back to your room for a rest. Don't sit in the middle of the room and complain loudly about how you hate the free mini from your swag bag, or how stupid this game is, or how miserable you feel, or how everyone else is "hogging" the paint lamps they brought from home. 

That sounds like an actual experience you witnessed.

• Like 6

Everybody's pretty much covered what I was going to say, but just to add my 2 cents:

--Backpack: I always do a backpack at conventions, since I've never needed to transport armies or large display models. If you don't plan to either, a comfortable backpack with good shoulder straps is a lot more convenient to move around and stow during classes.

--Fanny pack: This is more for ladies who are used to having their purses around. I found it extremely useful to have a pared-down version of my purse contents in a convenient little bag, which I could just grab and leave my backpack with a trusted friend. This had things like my wallet, spending monies, bandaids, hand sanitizer, painkillers (plus allergy meds and my inhaler), lotion, nail clippers, travel kleenex, etc. It's astonishing how much can fit in a fanny pack!

--Flat rate USPS boxes: I threw several Large, Medium and Small flat rate boxes, unfolded, into my luggage as a last minute thing last year, and I was very glad I did! They all ended up getting used by either me or my roommates, since we all ran out of luggage space and had to ship things.

--Snacks and water: Yes, everyone's mentioned them, I'm going to mention them AGAIN. Especially since the convention will not be at the hotel, so you won't be able to run back to your room real quick for a granola bar and a bottle of water. Even having just one water bottle with you, and refilling it frequently (however, this assumes that this will be a possibility at the convention, not sure since it's a new venue)

--Paints*: This has an asterisk by it since I would say you only need to bring paints with you if you plan to work on a specific project while you're there, or if you are bringing a contest entry and want to have back-up paints in case you need to do touch ups. Reaper does provide paints to use (well, they did last year, and I am assuming they will do so again this year), and many of the classes provide the paint you will use, plus lots of folks are more than happy to lend one of their paints if you need it. So, I wouldn't personally bother with bringing Reaper paints, unless they're a Limited Edition paint, but if you regularly use paints from another company, you'll want to bring those.

One last thing: I would recommend swapping phone numbers with AT LEAST one other person, and certainly all of your roommates if you're rooming with other people, on day 1. This is so that if you're lost or just want somebody to eat a meal with, communication can happen. ^_^ 

Huzzah!

--OneBoot :D

• Like 9

If you like spray primers, but are flying, you will not be able to fly with them.  I am driving in and will bring a can of white and a can of black Army Painter that anyone can use if they so desire.  Just see me at the artist table (if im not there they will be sitting out, just grab them).

• Like 11

-gaming materials for whatever game(s) you intend to play. Books (on pdf if possible) sheets, tape measures and dice.

-For everyone with a battery powered light: most times the battery compartment cover is secured with a Phillips screw. This can cause problems if you neglected to bring a screwdriver.

-Try and not bring the kitchen sink around everywhere you go. your back will thank you, as well as anyone else trying to sit at/move around your steamer trunks of stuff at the table.

• Like 9

- Water bottle. this struck me after last year . It's probably a good thing to have.

- A Personal Schedule/ Itenerary. While the one we get from reaper is great! Sometimes we want to spend time looking around, then shiny, and I haven't talked to him yet. For forgetful and easily distracted people (like me) having an alarm on your personal devices or having a paper schedule and keeping an eye on the time is good. Especially if you have prior engagements like classes...

- A goal. This is gonna sound kinda weird but in the past three reapercons I've been to I've met & talked three maybe four of y'all (The Melons, and Corporea). I'm not real good about talking to people so this year I have a goal to talk to at least 5 of y'all or set a goal to sit down and paint with your forum friends it doesn't matter. 

- A hat. We had a hat day last year, I didn't have a hat bringing one this year just in case.

- A Sense of Adventure, this one's kinda of obvious.

- Way more bags and luggage then you need. You're going to end up taking home some stuff maybe a lot maybe a little pack extra luggage (or do like oneboot getting extra flat rate boxes, that is genius) 

- Foodstuffs 

- Anything you specific. That thing that you aren't going to be able to find or get that you really need.

- Dice. You're probably going to play at least one game that needs dice and shared dice have all the other people's mojo. Better to bring your own.

- An inventory. making sure you go home with a majority of the stuff you came with. My dad compulsively checking my bag at the end of the day got kinda annoying...

• Like 6

Dice: This is a standard I carry in my purse all the time, even at work. Because reasons.:lol:

Deoderant: I know it sounds weird to specify, but... yeah. Please take and use.

• Like 11

I have seen several mentions of mechanics gloves and a stick, such as a chop stick to search the melt pile.

• Like 4

If you intend on searching the melt pile gloves are a good thing to have. Seriously. Otherwise your hands will get all nasty. 

• Like 3

I get to be the wet blanket on everyone's enthusiasm with a reality check.

• Space. 

How much space is your kit taking up? Specifically the kit you plan on bringing to the PEC (Convention site)  The idea that you need a rolling cart for your kit means you are probably bringing too much stuff.

Just like when you are getting onto an airplane and you can only have a limited number of carry on items, realize that your kit will also be taking up space in the vehicle transporting you to or from the PEC.  The shuttles will be limited in number of bodies per run as is, adding kits that take away from bodies in shuttle is poor planning.  Don't be that person.

• Storage.

We do not have storage space for your kits. Travel light, don't block aisles or walkways with your kits.  Unattended kits are done so at your own risk.  This is more of a public building. This is the first year we have had to hire security.  Plan accordingly.

• Like 11

As far as snacks and drinks (non-alcoholic of course), I was assuming that the location for the Con would have something selling items like this?  Am I assuming this incorrectly?

If it needs wheels, you are either a vendor, or over packing...

Or disabled. ::P:
Ok I'll give you that.

I am healthy for the most part, so I don't think in those terms. ..

• Like 4