Metal CAV Question

Maredudd

Hi Folks!

I am a big fan of the Bones CAV and have participated in both Kickstarters so far, and will participate in future campaigns as well, but I am collecting a number of the metal CAVs as well. I keep seeing references to 1st Printing and 2nd Printing. What would be the difference between, say, a 1st Printing Warlord and a 2nd Printing Warlord?

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe the difference is in packaging--the actual model should be the same. Might be a plastic base instead of metal.

There were a couple of models that were resculpted and rereleased, but that's from much, much earlier--I would be shocked if you came across the original Rhino sculpt at this point.

I believe the difference is in packaging--the actual model should be the same. Might be a plastic base instead of metal.

There were a couple of models that were resculpted and rereleased, but that's from much, much earlier--I would be shocked if you came across the original Rhino sculpt at this point.

Hehe, I'll have to check my Rhino just in case . . . :-)

Thanks for the response!

Edited by Maredudd

I can confirm that the Bones Dictator is slightly larger than the metal Dictator '70. The metal Dictator '60 had two different casts as well, one was hand sculpted and the other was 3D modeled. I forget exactly what the difference is though.

With vehicles and aircraft, the earlier metal models were cast at a size to fit two to a blister. Later some of them got recast at the proper 1:160 scale. Not all got this treatment. These resized metal models were referred to as "True Scale" or "True-N."

I can confirm that the Bones Dictator is slightly larger than the metal Dictator '70. The metal Dictator '60 had two different casts as well, one was hand sculpted and the other was 3D modeled. I forget exactly what the difference is though.

The 3d modeled Dictator is noticeably "leaner" than the putty-and-plastic sculpted model.  From the front, they look very similar except for the cleaner, sharper lines and corners of the 3d version - from the top, the hand-sculpted dictator is thicker through the back / shoulders / chest.  

• Like 1

The 3d modeled Dictator is noticeably "leaner" than the putty-and-plastic sculpted model.  From the front, they look very similar except for the cleaner, sharper lines and corners of the 3d version - from the top, the hand-sculpted dictator is thicker through the back / shoulders / chest.

Yep, that's it. Been a while since I had been concerned with the difference and had forgotten.
  • Like 1