Sign in to follow this  
Darsc Zacal

Star Saga. A new sci-fi dungeon crawler from Mantic Games.

Kickstarter is Live and has reached the initial funding level:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1744629938/star-saga-the-sci-fi-dungeon-crawler?ref=nav_search

From the Mantic Newsletter:

"Star Saga: The Eiras Contract will see players guide a team of space mercenaries on a mission to retrieve stolen data plans from a research facility orbiting a far-off alien world. Players will take on platoons of minions, powerful alien bosses and be forced to make difficult choices as the story takes unexpected twists and turns.

The spiritual sequel to Dungeon Saga, Star Saga introduces newly improved and stronger rulesets, 'learn as you go' rules for new players and, more detailed, advanced mechanics for seasoned gamers."

If it wasn't for Mantics long history of fulfilment issues/delays/changes I'd be tempted by this. It sounds like the game I've been waiting for.

Instead I'll likely just keep an eye on the Kickstarter and consider buying at retail.

Edited by Darsc Zacal
Tag updated
  • Like 2

On the bright side Mantic's new incident management system seems to have helped, at least with Kings of War 2 fulfillment.  I was getting nowhere with my out-of-stock items last fall.  Then the new incident system started this year, and I got a reply to the next email within a day and items sent a few days after that.

I'll be backing, never had a problem with any Mantic KS (touch wood) be nice to have a new space hulk type game, we'll have plenty of miniatures, and with my DZ and Warpath stuff plenty of opportunities to for custom squads.

I won't touch that. I'm not happy about the way Mantic handled Dungeon Saga (changing certain rewards to "digital only", going back on their word what the hard-cover tome would be like ... some of the minis were a mess, too, and even the rules - at least in my opinion - need a lot of houseruling ... and then how they dealt with that in the comment section of the Kickstarter).

• Like 2

I won't touch it.  Took 8 months and 2 additional shipments (because of stuff they forgot or missed) to finally get my Dungeon Saga stuff right.

Thanks for the heads up guys. This sounds like something that I would have backed. I'll just watch and wait for retail now.

Some renders, NOT physical sculpts, of the first batch of planned minis for the game.

IMG_1884_zpsueqvcavi.jpg

Some interesting stuff there. Will be interested to see some production minis and am curious what the material will be.

• Like 1

Kickstarter to launch September 26th at 8:30am (EST)

From the Mantic Newsletter:

"Star Saga: The Eiras Contract will see players guide a team of space mercenaries on a mission to retrieve stolen data plans from a research facility orbiting a far-off alien world. Players will take on platoons of minions, powerful alien bosses and be forced to make difficult choices as the story takes unexpected twists and turns.

The spiritual sequel to Dungeon Saga, Star Saga introduces newly improved and stronger rulesets, 'learn as you go' rules for new players and, more detailed, advanced mechanics for seasoned gamers."

If it wasn't for Mantics long history of fulfilment issues/delays/changes I'd be tempted by this. It sounds like the game I've been waiting for.

Instead I'll likely just keep an eye on the Kickstarter and consider buying at retail.

Yeah, this sounds like the sort of game I'd love to see ... with Reaper miniatures.  :D  (IMEF, Nova Corp, Cyber Reavers, Bathalians, Kulathi, etc.)

Purely anecdotal, but I painted up a few Dungeon Saga doors (great, sturdy plastic pieces) and then one of my players showed up and was a bit miffed -- because he'd actually backed the Kickstarter and was supposed to get those very pieces, and still hadn't received his.  I love the quality, and I wish them every success, but it sounds like they have some issues with getting stuff to their backers -- so I'm a bit RELUCTANT to get on board, Kickstarter-wise.

• Like 4

Some renders, NOT physical sculpts, of the first batch of planned minis for the game.IMG_1884_zpsueqvcavi.jpg

Some interesting stuff there. Will be interested to see some production minis and am curious what the material will be.

Material will be the same as the Walking Dead miniatures and the new plastic DZ2 miniatures from what I've heard

• Like 1

Material will be the same as the Walking Dead miniatures and the new plastic DZ2 miniatures from what I've heard

I don't have anything from either of those two sets so I guess I'll have to see if I can get a peek of them at a FLGS.

I don't have anything from either of those two sets so I guess I'll have to see if I can get a peek of them at a FLGS.

The new plastic DZ minis were not bad, it is a softer PVC. not quite as soft as bones but more so than say the DZ1 minis. Has some minor mold fill and detail softness issues, but it turns out acceptably. 

• Like 1

The new plastic DZ minis were not bad, it is a softer PVC. not quite as soft as bones but more so than say the DZ1 minis. Has some minor mold fill and detail softness issues, but it turns out acceptably.

I found the new material excellent, crisp detail, a lot firmer than Bones. Was more than happy when they switched from metal to this.

• Like 2

I found the new material excellent, crisp detail, a lot firmer than Bones. Was more than happy when they switched from metal to this.

oh yes. it is light years better than the mess that is their metal casting.