77054: Galladon, Male Wizard

jaryth000

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

actually I like the better lighting conditions.   I personally think the blending on the robe is well done and the placement of your highlights and shadows make the robe!  My favorite is the back of the robe with the trim you have added.

My critique ... I have to give some you know .. is the hat..  I think you could have added some more shadow and highlight to the red to make it pop a bit.  With all of the excellent work on the robe the wizard hat seems flat.

• Like 1

actually I like the better lighting conditions. I personally think the blending on the robe is well done and the placement of your highlights and shadows make the robe! My favorite is the back of the robe with the trim you have added.

My critique ... I have to give some you know .. is the hat.. I think you could have added some more shadow and highlight to the red to make it pop a bit. With all of the excellent work on the robe the wizard hat seems flat.

I agree with robinh. The hat could use more contrast like you achieved on the rest of the minis. The blendings on the robe are top knotch and the free hand band on the back of the robes are a nice touch. I also really like the beard. I think you are doing great for the short number of minis you have painted. I also can emphathise with the challenge of not being able to paint regularly. That can make it a challenge to maintain painting skills, let alone trying to get better.

Edited by KruleBear
  • Like 1

I think you could have added some more shadow and highlight to the red to make it pop a bit.  With all of the excellent work on the robe the wizard hat seems flat.

I agree with robinh. The hat could use more contrast

The hat could use some more highlights and shading, but red is difficult to highlight for sure.

This exact thing was what I was thinking while looking at this picture when I was posithis topic:

5_galladon_hat.jpg

I was looking at it going "Huh... thats.. very just red...".

If Memory serves, I had tried to add more contrast to it at one point, but it started to make it look cartoonish, which can be an excellent style, but did not match the rest of the mini. I guess it really just came down to I was not sure how to add shadow to something that under normal lighting (like a person standing outside in the sun), the light would be hitting pretty evenly across the surface. Looking at it now I guess I could have made the droopy parts a bit darker, and highlighted the ridge a bit more? I'm just not to sure.

Still, thank you for the suggestion!

The detailed pictures are great, you could make them even better by cropping all the white space around the mini...

Oh totally, the photo's I had uploaded to my gallery where all cropped and had a stroke outline (because I felt it looked nice).

So this was the one I was sharing on places other than here:

77054_Galladon_Male_Wizard.jpg

But for here, I wanted to post a more "raw" image, but you are totally correct.

• Like 2

So, was thinking about it more, and still was running into issues with how to do something like shading a hat thats directly under the sun.

While more of a WIP topic post than a "Show Off" post, so not directly on topic, I am knowledgeable of 3D editors, so just to test it out I threw together a quick test scene to see how a hat such as this might be lit in a real world (ish?) environment.

hat_test.jpg

Even in these conditions the hat looks flat and fake.

On the flip side, I had WAY too much fun diving back into a 3D program after use of not touching one. Damn that was fun.

• Like 1

Red's a toughie. Artists tend to fake it a bit because otherwise it tends to flatten out.

I find it works well to give reds deep, exaggerated shadows (often using transparent greens or blues) and keep the highlights as pure red as possible.

Here are a couple of figures I painted in red clothes. I had an easier time of it because their clothes were all full of wrinkles and folds, not like a smooth wizard's hat.

post-8022-0-88432900-1453128659.jpg   post-8022-0-19715900-1425816936.jpg

• Like 4

Looking at the wizard, if I were painting him I would take some transparent purple and lay in some watercolor-like shadows where the brim curves down, and a bit more next to the staff.  I would exaggerate the little dents in the pointy part with some shadows and shade just a tiny bit just over the headband..  And I would lay in deeper shadows under the brim, along the turning edge of the brim, and under the hatband.

• Like 2

Thank you for the awesome suggestions/examples Pingo! I think I get what you're saying, and I agree, with a bit more shading to the parts of the hat that slope the lowest down, it would have given it the extra "dimensional kick" it needed. I'll definitely keep that in mind for future projects!

• Like 1

Really good work.

I like what you did there :)

I suggest you get a small cheap color wheel, and that should help you a lot for shadows, and highlights.

Made a world of difference in my painting !

Look forward to seeing more.

Don't be so hard on yourself, you are still learning, and we'll cheer you on !

• Like 1