Painting hiatus.

Dibbler

I haven't painted anything for about a year.

I moved one year ago. Since then I've painted a handful of Skorne models, before giving up on Warmachine (slowly lost interest, then BOOM mk3. I play Skorne.. Long way to the nearest players).

And suddenly I don't paint.

Got a big desk to paint on and all. No painting.

And I have pounds of bones to do! :/

• Like 1

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I understand the feeling.

For a good while, one of my main motivations was to paint minis usable in my games.

Alas, I haven't played any face-to-face RPG in over a year. And even when I'm sitting right next to my paint table, everything ready to go, I just... don't. And I just know that if I force myself to paint, it won't feel like a fun hobby anymore.

Right now, my sole motivation is ReaperCon, and the company I get on the Google Hangouts. Course, I need to find the motivation to get on Google Hangouts too. :devil:

• Like 5

I haven't had a painting funk for a while, but what got me out of the last one was buying a figure I really wanted to paint. That was enough to make me sit down at the table and start.

If there's nothing leaping out of the pile at you, try selecting something you don't hate and use the "I'll just paint for ten minutes, then stop if I'm bored" trick. Once the brushes are back in your hand and you can see some progress, hopefully it'll motivate you to keep going.

Another "trick" I have used in the past is to reserve first thing Sunday morning for painting. Even if I haven't painted all week, I know I have that time blocked out and it generally breaks through any doubts and reluctance to start.

Finally, I'd choose just one or two figures to break the funk. You want to be able to see progress. My funk started because I was painting too many figures only once or twice a week. I never saw them move on and made more and more excuses to avoid working on them.

Find a figure, sit down and start to paint. Stick on some music and don't overthink it. Best of luck for breaking the block.

• Like 6

I find that painting quick thing helps me to break the funk. In my case terrain helps for this purpose.

Another thing that works well is participating in the mini exchanges. I know that doing them means a minimum of one mini a quarter gets painted. I have been trying to paint one for the exchange and a second or similar color scheme (maybe even the same mini) so that my pile of painted minis here at home grows, as well.

That being said, I started a job a few months ago that has meant a shake up in schedule. This has caused some issues with desire to paint.

• Like 4

I have had a bit of a hiatus myself because I moved for a job.  I still don't have a true paint area set up, but I found a mini I wanted to paint and set up the minimum I would need to paint it.  In a way this may work out well since I won't have too many miniature related distractions from my current project.

• Like 3

I always find I'm more productive when I'm painting minis that are intended for a game, whether I'm actively playing the game or not. Maybe look into a game, like Dragon Rampant, Frostgrave or Song of Blades and Heroes, that lets you use whatever minis you like. It might fire your imagination a bit and get you painting up warbands out of your Bones collection.

• Like 5

I paint for fun and display.

When I feel like that, I start to think about the background of the mini or army.

Or maybe I start to think about completely different armies or periods.

Sometimes I watch a movie or series which will trigger the "I want to build/paint something like that" response.

Reading some fantasy books or even older army books might trigger that too.

If it takes too long, I will just set up the painting stuff and grab something to paint.

Most of the time, I will get sucked into it again.

Edited by Xherman1964
  • Like 4

I went to ReaperCon last year, having not painted anything since the previous ReaperCon. I played Warmachine as well and the game had died out in my area. 

Paint for fun, paint for practice, paint something because a buddy needs it in a D&D game.

Some of my most relaxing paint sessions the last couple of months have been when someone handed me a simple monster (bulette, rat swarm) and said "I want to use it in my game this weekend but I won't have time. Three hours later I have a simple paint job that I'm not ashamed of. 

• Like 10

• Members

I was in a pretty strong painting funk due to my schedule draining me of any energy.. then I got to spend time with James Wappel when I brought him in as a guest at MarCon and it really got me motivated again...  maybe you just need to watch some technique videos and get your brain stimulated again on a new one you want to try?

• Like 2

I was in a pretty strong painting funk due to my schedule draining me of any energy.. then I got to spend time with James Wappel when I brought him in as a guest at MarCon and it really got me motivated again...  maybe you just need to watch some technique videos and get your brain stimulated again on a new one you want to try?

^^This.

My schedule *is* a killer of many, many, activities. :down:

Does James Wappel do house calls?

• Like 3

I continuously find myself either in a funk or just barely staying out of one, or so it feels. honestly, if it weren't for good friends like Ub3r, George, Shoshe, and a few others, I'd probably have given up completely by now as I have to actively shoehorn time into my "free time" to get time to paint at all. But, I find that bookface is good for interacting with other painters, as well as the hangouts here. Sometimes just the social interaction helps break up the funk.

Probably super specific to myself, but what helped me get over a particularly bad bout of painting funk a few months ago, was to realize I was never going to paint all the minis I owned and that there was nothing wrong with that.

Once I was no longer painting just to get things painted, I started to enjoy it again and my mojo returned.

Oddly it's also helped save me money, because I'm really immune to shiny syndrome now.

• Like 3

Probably super specific to myself, but what helped me get over a particularly bad bout of painting funk a few months ago, was to realize I was never going to paint all the minis I owned and that there was nothing wrong with that.

Once I was no longer painting just to get things painted, I started to enjoy it again and my mojo returned.

Oddly it's also helped save me money, because I'm really immune to shiny syndrome now.

As long as you have minis to paint you're immortal!!! ( it's a rule we all follow!)

Can someone explain the "Shiny Syndrome"to me , I have no idea what that means...Oooh !!! New Bust, *** buys***

• Like 4