Reaper con - De Animae Nostrae Dominae

Same procedure as Flynn I'll come up with a cool name when done

post-14060-0-31877800-1474336397_thumb.jpg
Started basecoat finished prime and clean
Sorry about crap camerawork mine's still lost
I'll try to put up better pictures next time.
Also any advice on dark skin would be nice...

Edited by Tarsemina
  • Like 10
  • Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In that case I would start really dark, but not pure black.  Mix together a deep reddish brown with a little black and then start layering up.  You'll have to decide how dark you want her to be as you establish a midtone, but against such dark skin I usually find shades that would work as shadow colors on light skin work as highlights on dark skin.  A purple glaze, especially in the shadows, can add depth to the skin.

Edit: Just remembered there is an article on this with color swatches to really illustrate what I meant.

http://www.coolminiornot.com/articles/content.php?1310-ethnic-skintones

• Like 2

So new photo!!! Little bit better...

I put bronze on the scythe, and sliver on the skull I worked a little on the skin and got the cloak started base coat. I think I'm gonna do orange/yellow OSL, but not quite sure what do y'all think? I'm also gonna try my hand again at TMM wish me luck...

post-14060-0-53787400-1474576515_thumb.jpg

• Like 13

best way to do OSL: highlight up the areas you want to look light to your highest highlight, even waaay up to white.  then put a thin layer (glaze) of your light's color over that.  that will look more realistic in terms of keeping "lit" areas "light"  If you can, put a less bright color of the light further out- I go from yellow, to orange to red to mimic the way light dims as it travels.

YOU CAN DO IT!!!! yay!!!

• Like 4

So I'm done for tonight. Got blending kinda started I decided on grey since the example paint-job is purple. The front looks good, the back not so much...

post-14060-0-33943100-1474604798_thumb.jpgpost-14060-0-81447000-1474604799_thumb.jpg

I'll work on it some more tomorrow. C&C welcome, as is any advice at all. Also, Yellow/ Orange OSL or Blue/White? I can't for the life of me decide and I'm not great with color theory...

• Like 12

In that case I would start really dark, but not pure black.  Mix together a deep reddish brown with a little black and then start layering up.  You'll have to decide how dark you want her to be as you establish a midtone, but against such dark skin I usually find shades that would work as shadow colors on light skin work as highlights on dark skin.  A purple glaze, especially in the shadows, can add depth to the skin.

Edit: Just remembered there is an article on this with color swatches to really illustrate what I meant.

http://www.coolminiornot.com/articles/content.php?1310-ethnic-skintones

Just got around to reading that article today, very handy!  I've bookmarked it for easy reference.  Thank you!

Really like it. I also think OSL will rock on this one!

I agree!  I think she's going to rock!  As for the OSL color, I think it depends on whether you want it to look more unearthly or ghostly or real(?).  Blue or green would be more unearthly/ghostly IMHO.  Orange/yellow would look more like a real lantern, but still scary.

• Like 4

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.