Sign in to follow this  
edz16

removing bases from metal miniatures

On 10/3/2016 at 10:01 PM, Wren said:

I've used snips, occasionally jeweler's saw, and Dremel. Dremel takes some getting used to, and you can slip and ruin stuff! For snips, I recommend Xuron shears, I got mine at the train hobby store, I think the model train folks use them for cutting track. I have a pretty weak hand/wrist, and I can use those no problem.

Which Xuron shears do you use? There appear to be a variety. 

The package I have is marked 410A Ultra Close Cutting Shear. I did purchase it at least 10 years ago, so it's possible that they no longer make that one or it's not got the same designation. The back describes a 'blade by-broccoli shear cutting action that is unique to all Xuron cutters. Shear cutting reduces cutting effort (as compared to traditional compression cutting) and extends blade life because the sharp edges are not meeting edge to edge."

So I suspect that is the crucial element more than the exact model, and that any  Xuron model that seems about the size and general conformation to do what you're looking to do will work in a similar way.

• Like 1

just your regular side cutters work fine for me. I snip around the feet, and then slightly below the feet themselves. Cutting directly where the feet start is counterindicated as the cutters often will dig into the metal and make the feet much thinner than they are supposed to be.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Rignes said:

I think those old links don't work anymore.  At least it doesn't work for me.  

Is this what you were trying to link to?

https://www.reapermini.com/craft/hanson01

Yes!

That's it my post was a few years ago, they updated the store so I think that's why it didn't work anymore.

• Like 2