Sign in to follow this  
knarthex

Question about Inspiration Gallery Pics

Just wondering, when I signed up for the forums last year, I posted quite a few pics in the Inspiration Gallery that were taken with an old camera, and were not edited in any way....

(Reaper minis mainly painted prior to joining....)

I am just wondering, as I now have a decent camera, and photo editor, is it worth editing the original 'posts' to put in better pics?

Or would I be better off deleting and re posting?

Or just double up?

Thanks!

George

• Like 3

Just wondering, when I signed up for the forums last year, I posted quite a few pics in the Inspiration Gallery that were taken with an old camera, and were not edited in any way....

(Reaper minis mainly painted prior to joining....)

I am just wondering, as I now have a decent camera, and photo editor, is it worth editing the original 'posts' to put in better pics?

Or would I be better off deleting and re posting?

Or just double up?

Thanks!

George

Since some of your entries made the store I would be careful not to temper with those.

They might drop from the store..not sure..

• Like 1

/shrug

I've been here ages and havent had anything posted from the inspiration gallery to the store yet.

Then again, I'm awful with a camera so there's that.

• Like 2

That is a good question. I would be prone to agree with Xherman on that one. A bunch of mine have been posted to the store and the photo quality is fine. I would retake the photos of non-store-accepted entries and see if you can edit to the new Photo. ::): Start with one and if that works out then get the rest.

• Like 1

The question is interesting.

There can be two schools of thought here.

• A picture where the mini looks as normal as possible. What the average person would expect to see with the mini in hand.
  • A picture where the mini looks as ideal as possible. What a person would see if the mini was expertly painted, under ideal lighting, and even in a diorama. Basically a museum piece or a pretty picture in a book or monitor. Something that would fire the imagination.

Depending on the intent, both are acceptable.

Edited by Cranky Dog
  • Like 1

Hello!

I have been a member since 2013 and am about to show my complete ignorance.  I came upon this topic a few minutes ago and my question is...What and where can the store photos from the Inspiration gallery be found?

Paul (catdancer)

• Like 1

Hello!

I have been a member since 2013 and am about to show my complete ignorance.  I came upon this topic a few minutes ago and my question is...What and where can the store photos from the Inspiration gallery be found?

Paul (catdancer)

The inspiration gallery itself can be found on the Reaper Miniature Site.

Under recources.

https://www.reapermini.com/InspirationGallery

Now sometimes Reaper decides to use one of those pics in the store ( the online shop).

It just means that the painted version of that mini is visible in the store.

For example.

I submitted my painted dumpster into the Inspiration Gallery.

In the store you will notice a small pic with the painted version.

That's mine, which I entered in the Gallery.

https://www.reapermini.com/OnlineStore/dumpster/latest/80035

Edited by Xherman1964
  • Like 5

Hello!

I have been a member since 2013 and am about to show my complete ignorance. I came upon this topic a few minutes ago and my question is...What and where can the store photos from the Inspiration gallery be found?

Paul (catdancer)

Reaper seems to occasionally choose pictures from the Inspiration Gallery to illustrate models in its store (the alternate painted up photos).

Anyone can submit photos of painted Reaper minis to the Inspiration Gallery. There's a link in the top menu bar which goes here: http://www.reapermini.com/InspirationGallery

Photos need to be hand-approved before they show up for anyone else.

Once pictures are up, they can be looked at in order of most recent (the default search), or one can look for specific models or search by painter, like so: http://www.reapermini.com/InspirationGallery/pingo/latest/

• Like 3

I've recently assumed the Mantle of "The One who approves the IG entries, and also decides which ones to 'Promote' to Store Pics" and I'm told that I'm perhaps a tad more critical and less likely to promote than my predecessor.

I'm working on trying to promote more frequently.

I think being picky is fine, else you will fill the storefront with images.  Too many pics for a given mini is just clutter.  The other option would be to "demote" pics in order to stay under a maximum of say six painted store pics, but then you would make people sad.  They might form a self-help group and make their own t-shirts that say "I was demoted by Reaperbryan" and wear them around Reapercon and then try to take a group picture with you. 

• Like 6

I agree with Auberon about being picky being okay.  I don't need to see more than a few different versions in the store.  The Inspiration Gallery is the place to go if I need to see more pics.  

That said, there are ways to show more thumbnails in a limited space by using some method to scroll through them.  This is not necessary in my opinion.  A convenient feature that would be pretty easy to add is a link on the page for the miniature that leads to the proper page in the IG.  One click for more pics, if there are any.

• Like 3

Sorry if this has been asked anywhere already, I did a quick search and didn't find anything...

As I've been looking at figures, I've found a few that don't have any painted examples, or have at most one. These are all minis I want to paint anyway, so sometimes I think it'd be fun to paint up one of the example-deficient models and submit it just so there's at least one example in the store. But obviously most of the things we submit to the Inspiration Gallery don't make it to the store, and obviously there's no definitive, objective hard-and-fast "do X and Y and it will go into the store" rules or anything, it's going to be up to whoever's doing the approvals at the time to decide what should go in. (I believe that's Bryan right now? But it might be someone else later and they may have slightly different criteria.)

If we had some general guidelines for "these things make it more likely that your figure will be selected for inclusion in the store" that'd be interesting and useful... If nothing else, it might highlight for some of us some areas we might want to focus on for improvement. :;): 

Here's my best guess as to what you're looking for:

• Submitted to Inspiration Gallery (just mentioning it here for those who don't know it's a prerequisite)
  • Clear (in-focus) pictures
  • Smooth blends, good contrast, basically just a decent overall paint job
  • Something that doesn't look like a clone of examples already in the store (highlights different options for painting the figure)
  • Something that hasn't been modified

Are there other criteria used? Or am I barking up the wrong tree and it's mostly at the whim of whoever's doing the approvals and however they feel that day? ::): 

• Like 4

I'm interested in this also.

I have seen some awesome painted miniatures in the Gallery and yet, the store mini has no painted pic next to it.

So when is a paintjob chosen for the store?

Is it random, or are there things we could use as a little guideline?

I have one mini in the store ( dumpster) and I love that.

If I knew what is needed for that, I might paint something to try it.

• Like 1

There for a while I had minis with thumbnails visible in the store, but when you clicked on the thumbnail the larger version of my image was not available.

• Like 1